testtest

HELLCAT UPDATE

MATT071791

Operator
A couple weeks ago i made a post about my hellcat where the POI wasent matching POA. I sent it to springfield, talked to them today and the pistol is being shipped back to me. they told me they found no issues and they will be a sending a test target they shot at. the more i think of it, i think im not used to the grip angle. Do i need to put more trigger finger on the trigger so im not pushing low and left. like i said the grip angle is different to say my m&p sheild. whats some pointers to get the right grip for this thing for those of you that have a hellcat. thanks for the help.

A couple weeks ago i made a post about my hellcat where the POI wasent matching POA. I sent it to springfield, talked to them today and the pistol is being shipped back to me. they told me they found no issues and they will be a sending a test target they shot at. the more i think of it, i think im not used to the grip angle. Do i need to put more trigger finger on the trigger so im not pushing low and left. like i said the grip angle is different to say my m&p sheild. whats some pointers to get the right grip for this thing for those of you that have a hellcat. thanks for the help.
Hey Matt I’m glad you’re getting your HellCat back soon, I will be honest I don’t own one but I have experienced the same thing with POI that you described when shooting a new gun for the first time, every new gun, down and left. What I found out for me was that it was my support hand that was pulling the gun on trigger pull. When I adjusted that hand so that the support was still there but it was more to the left and up slightly so that it didn’t dominate my grip on my strong hand holding the gun my POI started matching my POA
This will take time and practice but I’m confident you will get there.

i know its just way different when i compare it to my fullsize XD's since they grip is alot fatter where you can get a better grip on.
Exactly and exactly the reason I didn’t buy one, I shot a HellCat after renting one and the gun was to small in my hand. I sold my M&P Shield for that reason. There are some threads on the forum talking about a rubber slip on grip sleeve that may help you.

Again it's not the grip angle but what you're shooting technique is.

maxresdefault.jpg

Low & to the left = Tightening fingers (as you're shooting) and/or Jerking or slapping the trigger when shooting, if you're right handed.

My .02

Last edited:

Used the chart on the "right" above. Your previous post indicated you were looking at the left-handed chart.

IMO you need a consistent grip (need to work on doing that before you attemp to shoot) and then a consistent triiger finger placement followed by a squeeze.

You can practice all that by dry firing (make sure the pistol is empty).

My .02

Matt you will get a lot of great ideas just keep one thing in mind you have to practice on what makes you comfortable, don’t take my response or anyone else’s as the only way to go. Also be careful dry firing your Cat as there is information out there about broken firing pins because of excessive dry firing.

One way to find out if it is your support hand pulling or just too little trigger finger would be to shoot strong hand only. I took a defensive pistol course over the weekend with my new G19 and my instructor laughed when I shot better with strong hand and support hand only.

My wife bought us a dry fire “game” where you put a laser round in your gun and fire at a paper target and your smartphone records where a live round would’ve hit. It’s called iTarget. Pretty cool.

It’s been said you will get 100 different ways on how to shoot your pistol. Keep your strong hand high on the back strap and it should have the most “grip” your support hand, will support it with your palm covering the opening on the left side of your pistols grip, but basically “supporting” the pistol. You want enough force to keep it from moving but your not crushing it. Your trigger finger, the “pad” needs to come straight back, not curl back. Keep your thumbs forward with your strong hand thumb over on top of your support hand. Also make sure your stance is good, that has some to do with it. Dry fire, it will help out. This is what some of the top instructors have shown me and it works, for me.

Back