testtest

Hellcat vs Hellcat Pro

OkiePewPew

Staff member
So I'm close to my next purchase. I have a Hellcat but am considering a Pro to replace my XDM compact. For those who have shot both, how much bigger is the Pro vs the Standard? I know the measurements. I'm looking for how big/small it feels, how it rides vs other compact guns. I love my XDM Compact but the size/weight of the Pro has me hedging.

For me, I would pick a Sig 365XL, due to its proven design and far better trigger, but the Pro is also very good, just my input, I would mention a G19, but its far bigger then either of these two, so for me, its a pass.

Last edited:
I bought the Hellcat, sold it to a friend after 2 range days. Was just too small for me. Bought the Pro when it came out and love it. I have big hands and a big gut. The Hellcat seemed to disappear in both. (I'm exaggerating of course, lol) but the Pro was just big enough to hold and control and conceal within grasp. IMO

I also have the XDm, which I bought when I accidently bought the wrong holster, meant to get one for my Hellcat Pro, so when I bought the wrong one, rather than return it I went out and bought the gun. lol True story.

Love the XDm also, holds tons of rounds nice and fat in my hand but much harder to conceal. I now use them both as my primary carry. The Hellcat Pro usually in my thunder wear holster for out and around and my XDm with a outside holster when wearing a jacket or my motorcycle vest. Feels easier to get to when on my bike... if the need arrives.

jmo

I've shot mt sister's Hellcat RDP 1 1/2 years ago and shot it very well with the red dot. At 15 yards I actually put more than a few shots thru the same holes in the target making my sister punch me in the shoulder. 🤣

PROS
I bought myself the Hellcat Pro last fall (with 5 mags) and installed a cheap red dot for now. I have medium size hands and the Pro just fits my hand perfect. I have yet to have a failure of any kind which gives me great confidence in it as it's my main EDC now. It's size makes it carry IWB as easy as any 9mm pistol you would want to carry.

CON
The only draw you may have is the trigger is stiffer than the original Hellcats. It's been discussed in a few threads here. I know it is different though SA customer service is apparently unaware (or playing dumb) that it is a different trigger when you call them. An article in the spring "The Armory Life" magazine (An Exceptional EDC) regarding installing a PRP Trigger in the Pro model also states there are differences. My only thought on this is that SA intentionally put the stiffer trigger in this model per some feedback from some LE agencies for safety reasons. Also, if you browse all the Hellcat and Hellcat Pro specs on their website, they state that all the Hellcats have the GEN 2 trigger but they don't discuss the trigger at all in the specs for the Hellcat Pro.

So ... I love my Hellcat Pro but I don't want you to be surprised by the trigger.

And ... in a self defense situation or just running a tactical shooting course you won't even notice the trigger. It is a fine trigger for what this guns purpose is.

Back