testtest

Hellion in the House: Setting Up a Bullpup for Home Defense

Agree with the Bull-Pup based on the direction of the ATF on pistol braces and gave pause to going that way as I really didn't want to deal with the SBR hassle and questions over State Lines. That said, I had already acquired the X-95 Tavor for wanting a 300 BLK for home defense. Went with the Mepro 21 optic, just because of old school tritium for illumination reliability, but there is better with the motion detector systems. However, the Mepro has addition lighting mods done for the light to dark viewing and I like the triangle reticle. Plan on suppressing (ever gets here) and the Bull-Pup is the way to go for length for a full size rifle coming in at pistol lengths. With a 16 inch barrel to boot for full powder burn... Easier to use inside than my M-4 was during my LE days as they tuck-in nicely.

The one thing that keeps me from considering the Hellion are the mile-high sights/optics over the bore. So I prefer other options.
Try shouldering a Hellion and you'll see that the sight over bore feels natural for this platform.

I installed a Burris RT-1 mount on my Hellion. The rifle has a very comfortable feel when quickly shouldering making target acquisition time minimal as your eyes just land perfectly on the red dot when you're cheek hits the stock.

Looks can be deceiving in terms of ergonomics.

Try shouldering a Hellion and you'll see that the sight over bore feels natural for this platform.

I installed a Burris RT-1 mount on my Hellion. The rifle has a very comfortable feel when quickly shouldering, making target acquisition time minimal as your eyes just land perfectly on the red dot when you're cheek hits the stock.

Looks can be deceiving in terms of ergonomics.

I'll keep that in mind.

If I was running a .223 as a HD gun, I’d be running my AUG before my Mk18 pistol or M4gery.

In fact, the AUG with a 16” barrel is more compact than the 10.5” Mk18 & brace.
Yes sir …
10.5” Suppressed sbr (NFA) vs AUG
FC836336-8678-4459-A76D-84C6DAAAFE57.jpeg

When the targets are shooting back and you need to make "optimal use of cover" the bullpup shines.

I like how you placed the vertical grip close to the trigger guard...kind of contrary to the standard extended arm, C-Clamp support arm. When transitioning LH and RH behind cover, I think this is far more effective...it's the hold we used in X-Ball paintball. There's a big difference between the stopwatch obsessed, maze running, "pretend use of cover "games compared to gunfighting when the targets are moving and shooting back.
www.ambgun.com

Been running mine for 6 months now, with a few additions: Firefield LPVO, Saint Thumbstop, (shameful) FireScout knockoff and SIG QD muzzle break & 7.62 Ti can... Absolutely flawless with and without the suppressor (About 1,000 rounds bare and 300 rounds with the can on), that adjustable gas block works wonders! And needless to say, a Hellion is much easier to use for us NATO infantry trained on FAMAS than an AR-15, it's like riding a bike! I usually run mine with 20 round Magpul, looks aesthetically more balanced.

And yes, it should be setup for a lefty, but haven't built up the courage to take the Hellion apart and switch the ejection port... Watched the video a few times, but still too chicken to start. Might just design a deflector instead, shouldn't be too difficult...

FpqhlC5XgAEhjra.jpg

And here it is what it looks like with the 20-round Magpul, it does look more balanced IMHO. The SIG QD flash hider is close to the original SA, the other option would have been a compensator QD which is overkill for the Hellion, not really any recoil on this puppy. And its little Prodigy brother photobombed the shot for good measure :)

FqBdlsCX0AEeYlb.jpg

Jeremy Tremp stated he used the "American Defense Manufacturing Low Mount for the Pro" does anyone know why he chose not to use the Co-Witness or the Lower 1/3 Co-witness models? I would think they would be even lower.

Back