testtest

Help! 1911 Magazines and AR Quad Rail Covers

Snake45

Professional
1. I've been getting by for decades with gun-show milsurp 1911 magazines. I'm in the mood to buy some new good quality stuff. What's a good, reliable, reasonably priced 1911 mag, and who has the best price on them? 7- or 8-round are okay, not interested in extended capacity or fancy basepads or anything like that, just reliability at a good price point.

2. I have an AR with a quad rail handguard and it tears my hands up. I'm looking for covers that just snap over the rails--silicone or rubber or something like that. I need to cover four rails, about 9.5" each, of this cheese-grater real estate. The offerings are mind-boggling but I haven't yet seen what I'm looking for. Again, I don't want/need anything fancy. Who has what I'm looking for, or something reasonably close, at a good price?

Thanks for any help!

Wilson Combat. They ain't cheap, but there is no better. These are all I use for carry or competition.
MecGar and Ed Brown are good. Metalform makes the Colt factory mags. These are very good and cheaper than Colt. Their .38 Super mags are the best.
Ed Brown has a magazine exchange program where you send them your old junk mags and they will exchange them for their mags at about half price. (y)

Wilson Combat. They ain't cheap, but there is no better. These are all I use for carry or competition.
MecGar and Ed Brown are good. Metalform makes the Colt factory mags. These are very good and cheaper than Colt. Their .38 Super mags are the best.
Ed Brown has a magazine exchange program where you send them your old junk mags and they will exchange them for their mags at about half price. (y)
Ed Brown also has sales on a batch of 5 mags. I ordered that during Memorial Day. They’ll likely do it again July 4th if u can hang on.

(Side note: my Chip McCormick’s aka CMC were fine when new, but two have started giving me trouble after 2 yrs ownership).

I'll also state Wilson's are great mag's. However these are all I'll buy as long as Wilson keeps making them. Everything about them is a step up from the normal Wilson .45acp mag.

They toss them on sale around holiday's, usually a 25-35% off. The Steel based models are always going quick and sold out soon after they restock. I take that to mean others find them just as awesome as I do.

I sent an email once to Larry Vickers about trying to get Wilson's to also make them for 10mm. Larry was way on board with that, his reply was "I've been asking them same thing for awhile now"
I hope one day they do make them for 10mm I'll buy 6. 😉

1. I've been getting by for decades with gun-show milsurp 1911 magazines. I'm in the mood to buy some new good quality stuff. What's a good, reliable, reasonably priced 1911 mag, and who has the best price on them? 7- or 8-round are okay, not interested in extended capacity or fancy basepads or anything like that, just reliability at a good price point.

2. I have an AR with a quad rail handguard and it tears my hands up. I'm looking for covers that just snap over the rails--silicone or rubber or something like that. I need to cover four rails, about 9.5" each, of this cheese-grater real estate. The offerings are mind-boggling but I haven't yet seen what I'm looking for. Again, I don't want/need anything fancy. Who has what I'm looking for, or something reasonably close, at a good price?

Thanks for any help!
I use Magpul Rail covers.
The long rubber ones that slip into the Mlok slots.

See my Saint 5.56 handguard below with them attached

The snap on ones are listed on the magpul link below as well:

F3F964D7-6FBB-48F4-B27C-A3B1B56A4F5B.jpeg

Wilson Combat for mags all the way, but the one Mec-Gar that came with my Ronin has been just as reliable as the rest of them which are all WC's.

I managed to find them at Primary Arms on sale for $28/ea, bought a small handful of em' since the price seemed really good. - So keep an eye on that.

Magpul on the rail covers for sure.

Echo Chamber.

I've had issues with Wilsons, but Chip McCormick are my go to's, with Ed Browns' a close second.

My .02
Strangely enough I've had issues with my Ed Browns. My Kimbers ( MecGar) run better than the Ed Browns. I didn't buy the high end Ed Brown though, I got a couple on a trade in deal they do. And they're black. ANd really I only had issues with one of them.

Back