testtest

Hey Dum Dum...

Has anyone considered making dum dum bullets for home/self defense in your rifles?
Why, when they can be bought?

They’re called hollow points, or soft points, and are (pandemic scarcity aside) normally a lot more common as a reloading component than FMJ…particularly in non-military calibers.

The most common way of making a “homemade dum-dum” is to drill a hole in the tip…except if you don’t get that hole perfectly concentric, the bullet is going to have an eccentricity and will therefore be inaccurate—probably wildly inaccurate, at that. Don’t know about you guys, but is much rather have an accurate FMJ than an inaccurate round of any other type, any day.

Additionally, there’s a lot more to making a JHP perform when it hits than just a cavity in the nose; look, and I mean really LOOK at a modern hollow point know for good performance, and you’ll see things like skives (perforations) in the jacket, as well as contouring inside the cavity.

No…I think it’s a “dum-dum” idea, myself.

Last edited:

They’re called hollow points, or soft points, and are (pandemic scarcity aside) normally a lot more common as a reloading component than FMJ…particularly in non-military calibers.

The most common way of making a “homemade dum-dum” is to drill a hole in the tip…except if you don’t get that hole perfectly concentric, the bullet is going to have an eccentricity and will therefore be inaccurate—probably wildly inaccurate, at that. Don’t know about you guys, but is much rather have an accurate FMJ than an inaccurate round of any other type, any day.

Additionally, there’s a lot more to making a JHP perform when it hits than just a cavity in the nose; look, and I mean really LOOK at a modern hollow point know for good performance, and you’ll see things like skives (perforations) in the jacket, as well as contouring inside the cavity.

A simpler way of making a dum dum strip the jacketing off the round. It was done successfully in the Spanish American war if I remember correctly and to great effect.
As far as accuracy in home/self defense situations, I highly doubt those engagements exceed 10 yards.

Here's another article. I'd stick with tried and true jacketed soft points or hollow points.

Dum-Dums? ....and then, there's these? :)

Strawberry Dum Dum Pops - 1 LB Tub • Dum Dum Pops ...

A simpler way of making a dum dum strip the jacketing off the round. It was done successfully in the Spanish American war if I remember correctly and to great effect.
As far as accuracy in home/self defense situations, I highly doubt those engagements exceed 10 yards.

Sounds apocryphal to me.

The US mainly used unjacketed rounds (.45-70) in the SA War (particularly in Cuba), so…there really was no jacket to strip.

And if you want to use them, live it up. I’ll stand by my original assessment.

Dum-dum bullets have been around a long long time. Originally an X cut across the top of a .22 with a knife blade. My Dad hunted in what's now the BWCA with them in the 40's.

Back