testtest

History of U.S. Military Handgun Rounds

Good article.

They did kinda gloss over the .38Spl, which was issued in the WW2 Victory Model S&W’s (a M&P in a cheaper Parkerized finish), the S&W Model 15 (Air Force Security Police through the 1990’s), and a few others (S&W Model 12–aka the M&P Airweight comes to mind—the first aluminum cylinder revolver, AFAIK).

Good article.

They did kinda gloss over the .38Spl, which was issued in the WW2 Victory Model S&W’s (a M&P in a cheaper Parkerized finish), the S&W Model 15 (Air Force Security Police through the 1990’s), and a few others (S&W Model 12–aka the M&P Airweight comes to mind—the first aluminum cylinder revolver, AFAIK).
I was issued a Model 15 and later as an Air Force OSI agent, a Model 36, 3 inch heavy barrel. The Model 15 was a little harder to conceal but it was a shooter. The GI 38 Special rounds were ball, but pretty hot. Working protection details, we shot often. The Model 36's for investigators had a short service life as the full service load was hard on the frame and cylinder. The Model 36 was replaced by a chopped, Detonics-sized .45ACP, which was replaced by a Beretta 92, then the Sig M11.

I knew aircrews who carried 2-inch Model 15's and Airweights. During Vietnam combat operations, the life support equipment rooms for aircrews had metal drums that were cut in half and supplied with a metal stand, and filled with .38 Special ammo. Pilots would load their revolvers at a clearing barrel and then could take as much ammo as they thought prudent by the handful. Some of the pilots I knew had bootleg Browning Hi Powers and no one seemed to object.

I was issued a Model 15 and later as an Air Force OSI agent, a Model 36, 3 inch heavy barrel. The Model 15 was a little harder to conceal but it was a shooter. The GI 38 Special rounds were ball, but pretty hot. Working protection details, we shot often. The Model 36's for investigators had a short service life as the full service load was hard on the frame and cylinder. The Model 36 was replaced by a chopped, Detonics-sized .45ACP, which was replaced by a Beretta 92, then the Sig M11.

I knew aircrews who carried 2-inch Model 15's and Airweights. During Vietnam combat operations, the life support equipment rooms for aircrews had metal drums that were cut in half and supplied with a metal stand, and filled with .38 Special ammo. Pilots would load their revolvers at a clearing barrel and then could take as much ammo as they thought prudent by the handful. Some of the pilots I knew had bootleg Browning Hi Powers and no one seemed to object.
I’ve got a 3” 36-1 Heavy Barrel, Square Butt.

Or I should say, my name is on the 4473; my bride lays claim to it.

Runs 158grSWCHP+P like a dream.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "History of U.S. Military Handgun Rounds" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/history-of-u-s-military-handgun-rounds/.

It has always been interesting to me that those who fought in the Texas Revolution, the Indian Wars, the Mexican American War, the Philippine Insurrection, and other "small" conflicts through the 19th century favored big fat 45 bullets for their pistols. In addition to felling men, they also wanted to be able to kill their horses. I think the .38 Special was a bean counter innovation.

It has always been interesting to me that those who fought in the Texas Revolution, the Indian Wars, the Mexican American War, the Philippine Insurrection, and other "small" conflicts through the 19th century favored big fat 45 bullets for their pistols. In addition to felling men, they also wanted to be able to kill their horses. I think the .38 Special was a bean counter innovation.
Maybe, but then again…of all cartridges used by LE/M, the .38spl is the most long-lived.

I think if it was truly ineffective, it wouldn’t have that kind of legs…

I won't claim the 38 is not effective, it put a lot of men into the ground. But the argument that a 45 is more effective by making a bigger hole is compelling. The logic of it is probably why so many of us old curmudgeons still favor it.

Well, I’ve always subscribed to the idea that bullet manufacturers keep trying to make little bullets act like big bullets, so…can’t argue with you.

I'm still the .45 also. It starts bigger than many 9mm's expand to in my finding. I currently have a FS 1911 GI-Model and find it to be the ideal sidearm. Mine has the 8 round mag and if you need more than 9, you are probably doing something wrong. High capacity 9mm has reduced peoples anticipated need to train and accounts for more misses and higher lost shot count. I also have a Blackhawk in 45 Colt & 45 ACP and a Charter Arms Bulldog in .45 Colt. The only thing I carry smaller is my .380 pocket pistol LCP.

I'm still the .45 also. It starts bigger than many 9mm's expand to in my finding. I currently have a FS 1911 GI-Model and find it to be the ideal sidearm. Mine has the 8 round mag and if you need more than 9, you are probably doing something wrong. High capacity 9mm has reduced peoples anticipated need to train and accounts for more misses and higher lost shot count. I also have a Blackhawk in 45 Colt & 45 ACP and a Charter Arms Bulldog in .45 Colt. The only thing I carry smaller is my .380 pocket pistol LCP.
I’m actually falling into the camp of caliber is pretty much irrelevant.

Looking at the Ellifritz study, for example, shows that with multiple hits, pretty much all calibers are equally effective.

I’m actually falling into the camp of caliber is pretty much irrelevant.

Looking at the Ellifritz study, for example, shows that with multiple hits, pretty much all calibers are equally effective.
Actually,. they are equal I believe in killing capability, not stopping or impact energy. If their statements were accurate, then the .25 ACP would be good enough and you can carry even more ammo!

Actually,. they are equal I believe in killing capability, not stopping or impact energy. If their statements were accurate, then the .25 ACP would be good enough and you can carry even more ammo!
“Stopping energy” is a null term.

And if you read the study…pretty much all calibers .32 or better will stop an attacker with 2 hits…and not all larger calibers are more effective than smaller ones.

We were initially given 38's when I was an aircrew member on huey's. They had us go to the range to qualify and you couldn't hit anything further than five feet. Most of us turned them in and "found" something better. I still love my 1911 45 acp. gets the job done.

Back