testtest

Hodgdon Closes GOEX Blackpowder Plant

It's the end of an era. The US no longer has a lead smelting plant, and now will have no black powder production.
We all have our smart phones and GMO groceries. Reality tv. We're sinking here.
glub glub glubb...

It's the end of an era. The US no longer has a lead smelting plant, and now will have no black powder production.
We all have our smart phones and GMO groceries. Reality tv. We're sinking here.
glub glub glubb...
Not quite all smelting plants are gone in US lead smelting. The primary plants that were closed by EPA because of lead toxins. A few secondary smelting plants still exist in the US. Secondary smelting plants basically recycle lead based products like vehicle batteries, old plumbing parts, x-ray shielding and wire sheathing.

An older 2013 article explains some of it.

Gee Bob, those aren't raw ore to lead smelters, they're just recycling old lead into new ingots. They bring no new lead to the market. Every lead bullet buried in the backstop will be a greater loss now.

Not quite all smelting plants are gone in US lead smelting. The primary plants that were closed by EPA because of lead toxins. A few secondary smelting plants still exist in the US. Secondary smelting plants basically recycle lead based products like vehicle batteries, old plumbing parts, x-ray shielding and wire sheathing.

An older 2013 article explains some of it.

The company in this article is about 10 miles from here. We all grew up with Doe Run. Missouri is the king for lead and subsequently the king for the lead remediation superfund. I live on the Big River which through the years caught a lot of the tailings from lead smelters. It's pretty clean these days, but the gubmint still gives lots of us free 5 gallon bottled water. My well is deep AF and consistently tests fine too.

Anyway, this smelter, Doe Run, existed in that location for a very long time before the city of Herky started putting houses around it. Those people eventually filed lawsuits and that was the beginning of the end for Doe Run. It's like the old Pevely Raceway. One of the oldest dirt tracks around. Nowadays there are crap tons of big subdivisions all around it and the people continually whine about the noise on Friday and Saturday nights. They bought overpriced houses built by people who build crappy houses, close to a racetrack and then complain about the noise. :rolleyes:

I know a bit about lead remediation too. As a contractor, under the Obama administration I had to become lead abatement certified. I know I have recounted the details here, but the bottom line is it virtually eliminated most of my replacement window jobs. The cost to remediate is high, but not as high as the cost to test ( mandatory) all 4 sides of every window in any house built before 1978. This cost had to be passed on to customers. The kicker is at the end of the day, the special bags with all the debris ( literally just regular thick plastic bags with " Danger Lead" printed on them) were to be just chucked in the dump along with any other trash. It was a money grab. They had to pay for Obamacare somehow.

The whole lead poisoning scare tactics hoopla is BS if you ask me.

The company in this article is about 10 miles from here. We all grew up with Doe Run. Missouri is the king for lead and subsequently the king for the lead remediation superfund. I live on the Big River which through the years caught a lot of the tailings from lead smelters. It's pretty clean these days, but the gubmint still gives lots of us free 5 gallon bottled water. My well is deep AF and consistently tests fine too.

Anyway, this smelter, Doe Run, existed in that location for a very long time before the city of Herky started putting houses around it. Those people eventually filed lawsuits and that was the beginning of the end for Doe Run. It's like the old Pevely Raceway. One of the oldest dirt tracks around. Nowadays there are crap tons of big subdivisions all around it and the people continually whine about the noise on Friday and Saturday nights. They bought overpriced houses built by people who build crappy houses, close to a racetrack and then complain about the noise. :rolleyes:

I know a bit about lead remediation too. As a contractor, under the Obama administration I had to become lead abatement certified. I know I have recounted the details here, but the bottom line is it virtually eliminated most of my replacement window jobs. The cost to remediate is high, but not as high as the cost to test ( mandatory) all 4 sides of every window in any house built before 1978. This cost had to be passed on to customers. The kicker is at the end of the day, the special bags with all the debris ( literally just regular thick plastic bags with " Danger Lead" printed on them) were to be just chucked in the dump along with any other trash. It was a money grab. They had to pay for Obamacare somehow.

The whole lead poisoning scare tactics hoopla is BS if you ask me.

That's surprising on the company being nearby. Just like many airports and drive in theaters built clear out in the boonies and nothing else around when new. Then, the newer subdivisions are built and complaints come. The preexisting building need better buffers and zoning to protect them. Basically, city or towns shouldn't have allowed subdivisions to be built in an established commercial zone or area? PPP - PissPoorPlanning? Chicken or the egg came 1st type thing.

Agreed, much of the remediation is overblown hoopla. - Government involved anything is generally an ignorant overpriced milking scheme. Getting to that? How to show respect for something isn't just about people for me, it also should apply to other things is well. Knowing as much as possible before tackling any job usually helps more than less.

Many things are in how something is done or not done on abatement and remediation. Like scoring and snapping techniques instead of drilling or cutting asbestos siding or tile for example? The dust and fiber is the enemy. About same with lead, usually ingestion and inhalation is the culprit.

Ok, stupid question here since I haven’t shot or did anything with black powder. Since this is closing, where would you get the powder for these types of guns?

Ok, stupid question here since I haven’t shot or did anything with black powder. Since this is closing, where would you get the powder for these types of guns?
There's a few mfg's left:
USA Black Powder Suppliers
(Swiss, Schuetzen, Goex, Olde Eynsford, KIK, Elephant, Wano, Diamondback)

Buffalo Arms carries some different powders / propellants:

And, can also make your own black powder from scratch, I have in the past. Isn't difficult, just slightly tedious.

Black powder is popular in Europe. I never bought any, but supposedly there's a brand over there that was 'the BEST' so it can be imported, unless the crazed gov't finds a good excuse to ban it. I'm sure they will.
If I was into it now I'd get a few pounds and just put them away.
A quick search found this site:
Titanobel

Back