testtest

Holy picky Saint!

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
I put my Victor .308 through some ammunition tests today. It did great with 147gr FMJ and 4064, terrible with 150gr FMJ from 3 brands and a handload with IMR 4895, and great with two different well-made 165gr rounds using both 4064 and IMR 4895, all at 2.800. Good lord that's a picky rifle. 3 grains of bullet weight makes a difference, then it loves heavy rounds.

I put my Victor .308 through some ammunition tests today. It did great with 147gr FMJ and 4064, terrible with 150gr FMJ from 3 brands and a handload with IMR 4895, and great with two different well-made 165gr rounds using both 4064 and IMR 4895, all at 2.800. Good lord that's a picky rifle. 3 grains of bullet weight makes a difference, then it loves heavy rounds.
I run 165+ grain thru mine exclusively for game animals and never had issue with any brand.
I will say i dont own any 147 gr, so never tried it

Sometimes different bullet weights (different taper profile) have issues with the magazine follower not the rifle.

Have you tried a different brand of mag?

Just like .300blk can be used in 5.56 mags the subsonic (heavier bullet) has a higher chance of misfeed issues in a standard 5.56 mag but it's not always the case depending on the mag because of follower profile where the .300blk mags have a different follower that accommodates the heavier bullet.

Try the Lancer L7 mag it has great reviews and people have said it works reliably with heavier ammo types I the 175gr range.

Last edited:
Sometimes different bullet weights (different taper profile) have issues with the magazine follower not the rifle.

Have you tried a different brand of mag?

Just like .300blk can be used in 5.56 mags the subsonic (heavier bullet) has a higher chance of misfeed issues in a standard 5.56 mag but it's not always the case depending on the mag because of follower profile where the .300blk mags have a different follower that accommodates the heavier bullet.

Try the Lancer L7 mag it has great reviews and people have said it works reliably with heavier ammo types I the 175gr range.
Interesting, I'll look into that. It is weird to me it shoots well with 147s and 165s, but sucks with 150s. Just a finicky rifle, I guess.

Interesting, I'll look into that. It is weird to me it shoots well with 147s and 165s, but sucks with 150s. Just a finicky rifle, I guess.
The Magpul mag follower is optimized to work with the most common bullet sizes and when you're out of that range issues can pop up.

This may not be the case in your situation but I've heard of it being the follower before and I've looked into it myself as I have 2 AR-308 rifles that I put together and read up a lot on the potential issues of the AR-308 platform so I could avoid them if possible.

Bullets (designs) can have different bearing surface lengths eventhough bullet weights are the same.

This can have a measureable influence on velocity, and accuracy depending on the amount of bullet surface that interfaces with the bore twist rate in order to properly stabilize the bullet.

1639954897278.png

While one would think a manfacturer makes all barrels the same, slight/minuscule differences can occur during the manufacturing process resulting in/an individual barrel(s) preffering one bullet design vs. another.

Therefore, all barrels are individuals as are all rifles.

Last edited:
Excuse me, but what is 2.800? What is it that it doesn't like? Does it spit them out like Tom Hanks does caviar in the movie Big?
Most 2.800" is the the cartridge over all length (coal or c.o.a.l.) for a 308win and 7.62x51nato cartridges. With the added m118 throat and 175gr for longer range capabilities 2.830" was added to bolt action sniper versions. 2.800" is what most ar10 mag length can be limited to. Magpul has a gen3 version for 2.830" length cartridges for the use of and for handloads capabilities of using longer coal. This can be used for 260rem and 6.5creed cartridges for the heavier bullets. It will give an advantage to the 260rem over the 6.5creed.

Most 2.800" is the the cartridge over all length (coal or c.o.a.l.) for a 308win and 7.62x51nato cartridges. With the added m118 throat and 175gr for longer range capabilities 2.830" was added to bolt action sniper versions. 2.800" is what most ar10 mag length can be limited to. Magpul has a gen3 version for 2.830" length cartridges for the use of and for handloads capabilities of using longer coal. This can be used for 260rem and 6.5creed cartridges for the heavier bullets. It will give an advantage to the 260rem over the 6.5creed.
Yeah what he said.... Mind blown🤯

Good info TRL

Back