testtest

Home Defense Kit: Gear You Need

Tactical chainsaw bayonet, seen this before, I think it was in Birdcage Today. But I prefer the "Saturday Night Swalwell" aka the nuclear missile modification...

Possible Modifications Chainsaw Bayonet.jpg Possible Modifications Nuclear Missile - Swalwell.png

Awesome article, well thought out, with excellent points on home protection!!! I'm also impressed with the thoughts on hearing protection being added to your home protection EDC. Having gone through training in clearing buildings and have fired rounds in an enclosed space, I totally agree that hearing protection is an excellent way to protect what hearing you have remaining!!!

The IFAK is well stocked is essential in my book, in the event that you receive a GSW (Gun shot wound) your are your own first responder and can self treat your wounds. The key here is training besides shooting get training in First Aid, bleeding control learn how to apply a tourniquet, preasure dressings etc... All are important skills to learn the life you save might be your own!!!

When it comes to flashlights, "One is none and two is one." If I recall correctly, I believe it was "Clint Smith" of "Thunder Ranch" who came up with that rule concerning flashlights. How many folks carry a extra set or two of 123 batteries as a back up in the event that you flashlight fails or your weapons mount light fails? Always have a plan!!!

Training is the key to surviving a violent encounter!!! Seek additional training and refresher training to keep your tactical and life saving skills up-to-date!!! Always be prepared!!! Train Hard!!! Stay safe and always be aware of your surroundings!!! Situational Awareness is also important!!!

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled Home Defense Kit: Gear You Need and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/must-have-home-defense-gear/.

Although this thread was posted a month or two before I joined the forum it offered great information, always good to read other ideas on home defense. Interestingly with my lady friend is back from Texas and just last night I discussed with her my changes in my armory and talked with her about what she should do in the event of a home invasion so she is safe as well as able to assist me in defense.

I'd say make sure you have a good attorney to call if you have to shoot someone. Justified or not you'll probably have law enforcement asking hard questions.
Of course they will ask however keep in mind if this happened inside your place of residence you are under no obligation to answer any questions until you have legal representation.
Don’t answer questions, don’t do there investigation for them.
Remember they are trained to get you to implicate yourself and EVERYTHING You say will be used against you.

Personally, if I have to go to guns that means my home defense plan has failed, and badly.

Hardening your home, making it an unattractive target is a lot more effective than guns and lights.
Amen. An onion layered, defense hardened, visually intimidating home is the number one strategy we should go for.

Most criminals are going to avoid danger/discomfort like the plague, too many easy targets out there to go to.

Personally, if I have to go to guns that means my home defense plan has failed, and badly.

Hardening your home, making it an unattractive target is a lot more effective than guns and lights.
That's why I activate my alarm system when I turn in at night. The alarm company will call 911. In the meantime, I'll huncher down with one of my blued steel companions, get comfortable, and wait for the situation to get resolved one way or another.

That's why I activate my alarm system when I turn in at night. The alarm company will call 911. In the meantime, I'll huncher down with one of my blued steel companions, get comfortable, and wait for the situation to get resolved one way or another.
I’ve been doing the same thing, the front door has a delay but the alarm box makes enough noise to wake us up. The patio door the alarm immediately goes off and that will wake the dead.
Not connected to the police though.

I keep a handgun and a .300blk AR pistol in a fast action safe just in case. I also keep electronic ear protection handy. I know if someone kicks in you're door the first thing to grab isn't the earmuffs but if you just heard a suspicious noise the extra amplification of natural sounds picked from the microphone in the muffs will only help you in your investigation/clearing the premises.
Plus you will not need to worry about going deaf should the action commence.
That's an ingenious idea

I seems as I got older I need less and less sleep, could be from the pain I deal with most of the time and sometimes its my dual Defibrillator resetting. One night a couple of summers ago I was walking the house and went to the dinning room where the window faces the backyard fence and I watch as this guy pulls himself to the top of the fence ( I have a deep voice and its 3am ) I say my backyard is not a safe place for you ! He fell of the fence and he landed on the outside of fence, he didn't run real fast but he left.

I have read all the great input and if I may I will present a few things that my wife and I have worked out and for us its based on two old folks that still have that will to survive. First as I have said B4 I was in law enforce with different outfits and I was a squid on a tin can in the 50s and 60s and a training officer in my last years but today is a unruly world and I have to face it I am old and a lot less mobile. I made up a safe room where I can put my wife with her 38spl and a 75 rounds of low recoil ammo ( she is very good ) we have a code word so she knows its OK its me. I have set up a defense position protecting access to safe room and no one can come in behind me and they have to enter my choke point. The other thing is staying in the fight even if your are wounded and I practice reloads with one hand and even reloading magazines with snap caps for practice. There is a med kit at my position and another in the safe room both have quick clot compression bandages along with water and yes I have a vest for her and she has a portable oxygen pack as she needs it 24/7 and yes there is more but I don't want bore you. My old age solution is I don't go to the fight as my plan puts my bad guys in a very bad position. I know I can't hunt them down so I let them come to me and they will if they believe they have the advantage. I only have my wife and I to protect and unfriendly guest comes calling it could very well be the end of his career. Its always better to have home field advantage. Practice is important for the future and I plan on taking care of my wife a few more years.

I have read all the great input and if I may I will present a few things that my wife and I have worked out and for us its based on two old folks that still have that will to survive. First as I have said B4 I was in law enforce with different outfits and I was a squid on a tin can in the 50s and 60s and a training officer in my last years but today is a unruly world and I have to face it I am old and a lot less mobile. I made up a safe room where I can put my wife with her 38spl and a 75 rounds of low recoil ammo ( she is very good ) we have a code word so she knows its OK its me. I have set up a defense position protecting access to safe room and no one can come in behind me and they have to enter my choke point. The other thing is staying in the fight even if your are wounded and I practice reloads with one hand and even reloading magazines with snap caps for practice. There is a med kit at my position and another in the safe room both have quick clot compression bandages along with water and yes I have a vest for her and she has a portable oxygen pack as she needs it 24/7 and yes there is more but I don't want bore you. My old age solution is I don't go to the fight as my plan puts my bad guys in a very bad position. I know I can't hunt them down so I let them come to me and they will if they believe they have the advantage. I only have my wife and I to protect and unfriendly guest comes calling it could very well be the end of his career. Its always better to have home field advantage. Practice is important for the future and I plan on taking care of my wife a few more years.
@Shattowalker

First Off, Thank You for your service to our nation🇺🇲!!! Thank You for your service as a LEO🇺🇲!!!

As an offical member of the "Old Guys Club" I can relate!!! I'm also retired military and Retired LEO and have slowed down some now as I've gotten older.

I'm very impressed with your defense plan, well thought out solution to having a plan for the home!!! Safe Room is great. I would also recommend having a phone or cellphone in your safe room so you can call 📞 in the cavalry!!!

I keep my old cellphone in my "Safe Room" as a back up, along with a back up solar charger if the cellphone battery runs low while hunkered down. I have a small fridge stocked with water, and some food just incase my wife or I need a snack while hunkered down.

One plan I'm working on is having cameras throughout the house and yard with a additional monitor in the safe room. That way I can see every room and have the locations of any badguy, who dares to enter my residence at 2 am, provided they get past my German Shepard, who is also part of my alert system 🤔

Great plan, Stay Safe and Watch your Six Brother!!!

Back