testtest

How Do I Get Ammo? A Beginner’s Buyer’s Guide

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled How Do I Get Ammo? A Beginner’s Buyer’s Guide and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/how-do-i-get-ammo-a-beginners-buyers-guide/.

Thank you so much for this article. My wife and I purchased our first handguns just under 2 months ago, and were almost clueless about anything firearm related prior to it. It also happened to be at a time the pandemic hit, so from the time we walked in to the store and walking out when we were completely done, we were there for 7hrs!!! When the guy asked "what kind of ammo would you like, hollows?" I just said yes, until I realized I paid $35 for 20 rounds (we did get some "range-ammo" as well)! By the time we made it home, I'd already researched FMJ vs JHP, brass vs aluminum vs steel, and so on.
My point being if there's anyone reading this and getting into firearms for the first time (like my wife and I were), familiarize yourself on ammo, not just the gun you want.
One last comment to one of the topics stated in the article. When the salesperson asked us about the ammo, I guess they were limited in their supply, so gave us a mixture of .380s and 9mm, saying both would work. Work the did, but I had to rack after every shot on the .380s on my 9mm HK VP9SK. So I'm glad I didn't go all out and buy a bunch of .380s To the article's point-test out what works on your gun.

Thank you so much for this article. My wife and I purchased our first handguns just under 2 months ago, and were almost clueless about anything firearm related prior to it. It also happened to be at a time the pandemic hit, so from the time we walked in to the store and walking out when we were completely done, we were there for 7hrs!!! When the guy asked "what kind of ammo would you like, hollows?" I just said yes, until I realized I paid $35 for 20 rounds (we did get some "range-ammo" as well)! By the time we made it home, I'd already researched FMJ vs JHP, brass vs aluminum vs steel, and so on.
My point being if there's anyone reading this and getting into firearms for the first time (like my wife and I were), familiarize yourself on ammo, not just the gun you want.
One last comment to one of the topics stated in the article. When the salesperson asked us about the ammo, I guess they were limited in their supply, so gave us a mixture of .380s and 9mm, saying both would work. Work the did, but I had to rack after every shot on the .380s on my 9mm HK VP9SK. So I'm glad I didn't go all out and buy a bunch of .380s To the article's point-test out what works on your gun.
I’ve personally seen a pretty bad mishap happen from someone using .380 in a 9mm. If your gonna use this method (which personally I don’t recommend) please please please practice extreme caution.

I just got an email from sportsmans outdoor super store, they used to be super reasonable on ammo but they were asking 250 for 500 rounds of 9mm range ammo. With shipping that's gonna be 27$ a 50 round box of "cheap" ammo! This is getting ridiculous.
I hear you completely. I've been online and visiting stores a lot. Including tax & shipping, I've averaged at 34cpr, which from what I'm told, is still allot, but I guess it beats the 54c you're being quoted.

I’ve personally seen a pretty bad mishap happen from someone using .380 in a 9mm. If your gonna use this method (which personally I don’t recommend) please please please practice extreme caution.
Oh that was a one time deal.... never again. For a newbie like me, I was scratching my head while blowing fumes. The range officer had to help me a few times, and was the one who said not to use the .380s anymore. Glad it didn't get to the point of a mishap.

That salesman was a freakin’ moron...and that’s the polite way of putting it.

.380 will NOT function; it’s a great way to have an out-of-headspace kaBoom event, and should not be attempted (BTW—this also goes for the dim bulbs who use .40 in a 10mm—your gun, your hands, your face...but definitely not smart).

Oh that was a one time deal.... never again. For a newbie like me, I was scratching my head while blowing fumes. The range officer had to help me a few times, and was the one who said not to use the .380s anymore. Glad it didn't get to the point of a mishap.
Well welcome to the 2A world we’re happy to have you. Secondly As I’m sure you’ve already noticed, there’s a darn good group of guys here that are very knowledgeable. If you ever have a question don’t hesitate to ask as we’d be happy to help and keep you out of harms way.

I hear you completely. I've been online and visiting stores a lot. Including tax & shipping, I've averaged at 34cpr, which from what I'm told, is still allot, but I guess it beats the 54c you're being quoted.
I check the only sporting goods store in town every week, I've been lucky sometimes and got brass 9s for 13, and last week I picked up some 40 aluminum for 13.35. I should have bought every box at those prices, but I never take more than 1-2 hundred rounds and leave some for the next guy. Yesterday I checked and there was absolutely zero 9,10,45 acp, 357 magnum, 44 magnum, or 45 colt or 223/556! There were maybe a half dozen boxes of 40, but they were asking 25 a box and I have some coming from 15 so I left it for some other poor soul. Not a single 22 lr either. This store usually has way over 50,000 rounds of 22 and usually 5-20 thousand rounds of each center fire cartridge.

In the Chicago area (at least near west) good luck finding ammo. I have resorted to searching through 5-10 sites daily to keep some level of stock and its sad when I get excited about 17.99 a box. Any other sites are welcome though. It seems like I walk away and come back and they are cleared out. I just saw 125 boxes of Speer 147 go within an hour at 22.55 a box.

Well welcome to the 2A world we’re happy to have you. Secondly As I’m sure you’ve already noticed, there’s a darn good group of guys here that are very knowledgeable. If you ever have a question don’t hesitate to ask as we’d be happy to help and keep you out of harms way.
Thanks for the welcome! Of all the forums I looked through, I'm thrilled I found thearmorylife. I have found some much information on here, and everyone's been awesome at sharing their viewpoints. Seems like it's become my go-to place for everything!!!

In the Chicago area (at least near west) good luck finding ammo. I have resorted to searching through 5-10 sites daily to keep some level of stock and its sad when I get excited about 17.99 a box. Any other sites are welcome though. It seems like I walk away and come back and they are cleared out. I just saw 125 boxes of Speer 147 go within an hour at 22.55 a box.
So Eagle Sports Range in Oak Forest always has tons of ammo with no limit. $14.99/50 for S&B 115gr. The catch-5c tax for every round since they're in C(r)ook County! Mega in Plainfield has Fiocci 115gr for the same price, but now they're limiting to 2 box max. Once out of the many times I go to the range, Shoot Point Blank had Midwest refurbished for $12.99/50 - I stocked up on that! And I've also been doing exactly what you do....hunt online stores. Bookmark federalpremium.com and cci-ammunition.com; I always seem to have luck on there.

So Eagle Sports Range in Oak Forest always has tons of ammo with no limit. $14.99/50 for S&B 115gr. The catch-5c tax for every round since they're in C(r)ook County! Mega in Plainfield has Fiocci 115gr for the same price, but now they're limiting to 2 box max. Once out of the many times I go to the range, Shoot Point Blank had Midwest refurbished for $12.99/50 - I stocked up on that! And I've also been doing exactly what you do....hunt online stores. Bookmark federalpremium.com and cci-ammunition.com; I always seem to have luck on there.
Nice. Thank you for the additional spots. My shoot point blank went through 1.5m rounds last week per the store manager. I think I need to drive farther out. I have never been to eagle sports range. Looks like I am going here this week!

which shoot point blank has refurb. I am in Hodgkins and they are the ones that sold through.

fed premium and cci i thought flagged and would not ship to IL.

Thanks for the welcome! Of all the forums I looked through, I'm thrilled I found thearmorylife. I have found some much information on here, and everyone's been awesome at sharing their viewpoints. Seems like it's become my go-to place for everything!!!
LRZ, I know you've noticed the many good guys/gals on the forum here, and yes, most any of them/us will help all we can. But just a caution, in guns and gun usage there are many, many viewpoints..... and not all of them are correct, some maybe even unsafe. Like for instance the imbecile who sold you on the .380's for your 9mm. It was obviously his point of view that it was an acceptable substitute. But you saw for yourself just how they were not acceptable. And some of the guys here have expounded on that unacceptability. So when you ask for help on a specific issue, please take into consideration that the info you got might be someone's well intentioned POV (opinion), or it may be facts and not just opinion.

I don't believe for a second there is anyone here who would intentionally tell you something wrong or dangerous, but if for any reason it just doesn't feel and/or sound quite right to you, or for any reason you might not fully understand, ask again for someone elses thoughts, or ask the OP for a little more detail. I also don't believe anyone here would take offense to your asking for a second thought or opinion, especially your being so new to the sport. Like HansGruber said earlier, "your gun, your hands, your face", so please don't take anything for granted.... here or anywhere else.

And another 'Welcome to the forum'!

regards,
jumpinjoe

LRZ, I know you've noticed the many good guys/gals on the forum here, and yes, most any of them/us will help all we can. But just a caution, in guns and gun usage there are many, many viewpoints..... and not all of them are correct, some maybe even unsafe. Like for instance the imbecile who sold you on the .380's for your 9mm. It was obviously his point of view that it was an acceptable substitute. But you saw for yourself just how they were not acceptable. And some of the guys here have expounded on that unacceptability. So when you ask for help on a specific issue, please take into consideration that the info you got might be someone's well intentioned POV (opinion), or it may be facts and not just opinion.

I don't believe for a second there is anyone here who would intentionally tell you something wrong or dangerous, but if for any reason it just doesn't feel and/or sound quite right to you, or for any reason you might not fully understand, ask again for someone elses thoughts, or ask the OP for a little more detail. I also don't believe anyone here would take offense to your asking for a second thought or opinion, especially your being so new to the sport. Like HansGruber said earlier, "your gun, your hands, your face", so please don't take anything for granted.... here or anywhere else.

And another 'Welcome to the forum'!

regards,
jumpinjoe
Well said

Welcome, LRZ! Another "well said" to Jumpin' Joe's post. It sounds like that counter person who sold you the 380's qualifications for the job were his heartbeat and he was warmer than the temperature in the store.
For gun enthusiasts both new and experienced, the shortages of available ammo hurts. With the shortfalls come less range time practice and that is what everyone who chooses to carry a firearm should be doing on a regular basis. I guess you still head to the range but shoot a little less until things come back..........somewhat!

Back