testtest

How Do I Lock Back My Pistol Slide?

I lock the slide back using the "slingshot" method. That's the way I was taught in the Army on the M1911A1, and taught this method to my family when I introduced them to semiauto handguns. Even my "tiny" daughter can run a full-size 1911 this way. I also teach a modified version where you place all five fingers and the pad of the thumb on the slide [thumb forward], which gives you more gripping pressure. Of course this all depends on personal preference and other physical factors/limitations. Great suggestion to use the empty magazine method.

I lock the slide back using the "slingshot" method. That's the way I was taught in the Army on the M1911A1, and taught this method to my family when I introduced them to semiauto handguns. Even my "tiny" daughter can run a full-size 1911 this way. I also teach a modified version where you place all five fingers and the pad of the thumb on the slide [thumb forward], which gives you more gripping pressure. Of course this all depends on personal preference and other physical factors/limitations. Great suggestion to use the empty magazine method.
You mean unlock the slide using the slingshot method right?

Another great article and video Mike.
This is a process that like many is different for everyone.
When I want to lock back the slide I follow a precise set of actions.
1st drop the magazine.
2nd finger off the trigger, gun pointed in safe direction sharply pull back the slide, using my left hand to eject round if one is chambered.
3rd again gun pointed in a known safe direction, finger off The trigger grip in right hand, right hand thumb on slide stop lever slight upward pressure, left hand on top of slide gun close to body push slide with left hand until slide stop lever locks slide. Check chamber for possible round, look in mag well from the top down to ensure no mag.
Although I’ve seen this in many safety videos I don’t stick my finger into the gun after witnessing someone do that and watched the slide close on his finger causing cuts requiring stitches to close. Sorry I got winded here.
The lesson is no matter what process you use follow the steps exactly the same way every time to ensure total safety.

Last edited:
Same here. Only difference for me compared to Keystone is, I quick-rack the slide to clear any rounds in the chamber, left hand in a "pinch" hold at the rear of the slide (thumb pad and index finger knuckle on opposite sides of the rear portion of the slide). That's enough to flip a chambered round into the air, and runs zero risk of my hand forcing it back into the chamber if my hand position had the palm over the ejection port.

Finger off the trigger, right hand moves gun towards the ground while left hand catches the round. From there, right thumb pressure on the tab while racking with the left, to latch it back/open. For THAT one, my left hand does cover the ejection port...

Same here. Only difference for me compared to Keystone is, I quick-rack the slide to clear any rounds in the chamber, left hand in a "pinch" hold at the rear of the slide (thumb pad and index finger knuckle on opposite sides of the rear portion of the slide). That's enough to flip a chambered round into the air, and runs zero risk of my hand forcing it back into the chamber if my hand position had the palm over the ejection port.

Finger off the trigger, right hand moves gun towards the ground while left hand catches the round. From there, right thumb pressure on the tab while racking with the left, to latch it back/open. For THAT one, my left hand does cover the ejection port...
What you mention above to clear the chamber is number 2 in my process, smart minds think alike.

Thanks for the link, Mike. While many (maybe most) of us on this forum have been shooting a while, there are new hand gun owners here and elsewhere that are in the process of learning about guns. It is good to start at the beginning.

Back