testtest

How Do You Carry Back Up Ammo?

What if your one mag fails? The old mag saying is 1=0 2=1......

Took your advice, brotha.

DE1ADF9A-DEDE-4635-AF05-F7AB1C645DEB.jpeg

I normally use a double mag pouch for my EDC belt, or a triple mag pouch on my duty belt. You can NEVER have too much ammo. With my 1911, I like to go with 4 spare mags. The one in the 1911 and the two on my belt are 8rd mags, and the last 2 are 7rd., which I like to keep in a jacket pocket or my EDC bag. That's almost 40 rounds for my 1911, and if that's not enough then either I'm doing something wrong or there's too many bad guys!!

From the beginning of my CC time (almost 30 years), I've always carried 2 magazines. Starting with my first carry gun, a Walther PPK/S, with 7 + 1 capacity. Always in a leather Mag Holster on my belt. So when my aging eyes made the PPKs sights impossible in Low Light. I went to a P365 SIG (a bit more than a year before the Hellcat's release, had I known SA had a gun on the the drawing board I'd have waited). So I just naturally reach for the 2 mag holster, and don't feel comfortable with one spare. Paranoid? A little maybe. Doing Failure drills one time with the PPK, I had a new magazine that misfed on me, having the second kept the drill going, and that's always in my head when I drill today. The what if your one spare failed scenario. So I just feel more secure with two spares.

Always at least one spare, sometimes two, depending on what I'm carrying that day, but always 25 to 31 rounds on tap. Easily done with the Relentless Tactical leather mag carriers I have for all my pistols. Easily concealable, comfortable, and secure as it takes both hands to get the IWB concealed carriers off the belt as the metal clips are strong and stay put. I also use them for range and when training OWB. All I have to do is clip them on the outside of my EDC belt and turn the mags around for quick reload. Fairly pricey but worth it to me. After 6 years, the metal belt clips aren't weakening and still require 2 hands to install or remove.

Back