testtest

How do you spend Christmas Eve

southtex

Professional
Founding Member
For the wife and I Christmas Eve has changed drastically over the last years. We used to spend Christmas Eve scurrying about making sure we had the requested presents, the small items for the stockings, waiting on the Chili to finish, and any last minute meal prep for Christmas. After opening the Christmas pajamas the kids would soon go to bed and we would put it all under the tree and go to bed. Now our children and their families go to their in laws on Christmas Eve and the family gathers at my daughters for our Christmas celebration. The wife and I now organize the presents (that my children have had ordered for our grandchildren) in the foyer to make for easy transfer then get our presents (grandchildren) ready for tomorrow. The rest of the day is spent eating snacky type food with a few drinks and watching movies. Life is great

we have a small dinner, just the wife and i,
then we watch some sort of xmas movie(s)...presents, and money envelopes had been wrapped during the week

then depending on who in the family drew the short straw, we all go to thier house for Christmas dinner, exchange presents, etc.

to be fair too, that person who drew that short straw, is out, till all the other kids of ours, get thier turn (we have 5 grown kids).

the wife and i do not draw straws, we did our more than, fair share.....

great to be old, and grumpy at times....lol

When in the military we always had a houseful of GI's that lived in the dorms and didn't go home for the holidays. Always had a great time. Since we don't have a big family and most are on the east coast it's just the two of us plus the dog. I think santa has forgotten where we live and haven't seen the fat guy in years but we still look forward to the holiday.

Wife and I used to go to my in-laws. Both are gone now and it hasn't been the same, they treated me like a son. My older sister has the family dinner tomorrow but my brother and I haven't spoken in years for reasons I don't know and at this point it doesn't matter. Plus the wife really doesn't wanna go anywhere since her last extended stay at the hospital. She thinks being in there turned her into an anti social type person. So home together with the 2 dogos which is fine by me...

When in the military we always had a houseful of GI's that lived in the dorms and didn't go home for the holidays. Always had a great time. Since we don't have a big family and most are on the east coast it's just the two of us plus the dog. I think santa has forgotten where we live and haven't seen the fat guy in years but we still look forward to the holiday.
If you are needing a look at a fat guy I will dress in red, take a selfie, and send it your way in the spirit of the Holiday Season :)

My wife and I went to the shooting range (Clark County Shooting Complex) this morning, stayed until early afternoon shooting pistols and shotguns. Will have a quiet dinner tonight and prepare for all the cooking we’ll be doing tomorrow!
E4BE453B-6CBC-453B-9D71-B8591CD9321E.jpeg

Wife and I used to go to my in-laws. Both are gone now and it hasn't been the same, they treated me like a son. My older sister has the family dinner tomorrow but my brother and I haven't spoken in years for reasons I don't know and at this point it doesn't matter. Plus the wife really doesn't wanna go anywhere since her last extended stay at the hospital. She thinks being in there turned her into an anti social type person. So home together with the 2 dogos which is fine by me...
I hope your wife is feeling better.

Long story.

In 1992 was stationed at Ft. Carson. It was the closest I'd been to home since I joined the Army and the first time I had Christmas Eve off. I drove home to Omaha that night. I was the only car on the road and I was so cold the inside of my windows were frosting up.

At some point I picked up the Campbell's Soup radio theater production of A Christmas Carol Staring Lionel Barrymore and Orson Welles. I remember listening to it all the way to Omaha.

After that night A Christmas Carol became my Christmas Eve tradition. I dont remember ever having Christmas Eve off until I retired so every Christmas Eve/ Christmas Night I would read it between rounds at work.

My wife and I listened to the Campbell's Soup theater version today and we'll be watching the George C. Scott version tonight.

Every year on the day after Thanksgiving and the day before Christmas Eve our daughter buys some pig heads, beef tongues and turkeys and all the womenfolk in the family get together and have a Tamale making party.

Today the daughter and Son in Law came over and tonight the wife and I will be sitting at home eating Tamales and enjoying Christmas music

When our daughter was home we would spend Christmas eve driving around with a thermos of hot chocolate looking at lights. The last 10byears or so we do that several times in the week leading up to Christmas.

Since then on Christmas eve we have a quiet prime rib roast dinner and watch different versions of our favorite Christmas movie Christmas Carol. So far today we have watched three, and have a number more.

When our daughter was home we would spend Christmas eve driving around with a thermos of hot chocolate looking at lights. The last 10byears or so we do that several times in the week leading up to Christmas.

Since then on Christmas eve we have a quiet prime rib roast dinner and watch different versions of our favorite Christmas movie Christmas Carol. So far today we have watched three, and have a number more.
George C. Scott is my favorite.

Same thing the wife and I have done the last 10 years.......................last minute any and everything! Decorating, shopping, wrapping and getting food thawed out. Only 9 at the house this year.............6 kids, 1 SIL, wife and I..............well + 3 raptors (ie cats). They like home cooked meals, not too mention crunchy cheetos and cream puffs. Those cats are junk food junkies.

Back