testtest

How far would you go for your pet?

jmcd

Professional
Founding Member
This is my trained "killer". I will use that term lightly though. He is the typical German Shepherd, fiercely loyal, wary of strangers, looks and listens for anything unusual. To his family members, his answer to everything is to lick it to death. All he wants to do is play. He is in the car before the door is fully open and is ready to go anywhere the family is going. He is a long-haired variety, and I will say, out of all of my shepherds, he is the most lovable and goofiest one I have owned.

A few months ago, he wasn't acting quite right. My wife, who has a pulse on everything, checked him and said we need to get him to the animal hospital right now. Off we went. They confirmed what she had feared.... bloat. They mentioned that for most dogs, it's too late by the time they get there. We got him there quickly, so he had a good prognosis. Even though I figured on there being complications that would cost thousands more, that the 6k they quoted for the surgery, I just didn't have the heart to put him down. It was shaky for a while. He had to go back into the animal hospital twice. He was really sick for weeks after. I was hoping we made the right decision. He is now back to being his goofy self while still standing guard for the family. Though some may raise an eyebrow and say it would have been easier and cheaper to put him down, the dog is happy, the kids are happy, the wife is happy, I am happy. How can you put a price on that?

To what length would you go for your pet?

Attachments

• copy1.jpg
    copy1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 80
I would do the same thing you did! I know its crazy but after spending a fortune on one of my Siberian Huskies that got sick I now have pet health insurance for my pets. Well worth the cost for the yearly policy. Nothing wrong with spending money on part of your family. Trust me, you will be rewarded here on earth and when you finally arrive at your final destination. Remember dog spelled backwards is god.

that is a very difficult question to answer. many are living paycheck to paycheck. many are living SS check to SS check.

everything costs money, and prices keep skyrocketing. not too many can afford "pet" health care insurance, under thier own cost of living expenses.

yeah i know what some would say, "then don't have a pet"

easy to say, but then why does anyone have a pet? for companionship? for protection? for the love of an animal?

reasons vary why people have pets and cannot afford high dollar vet bills.

we have always had cats. the daughters were always "finding" cats walking home from school or in our backyard.

they had LONG happy, healthy lives...(they would ALL have regular vet check ups, and shots)

but then when any of them would get sick (mind you, we only actually had ONE cat at a time), they were old by the vets standards and we'd be told the cat would not even survive the anisthiea (sp?), and won't survive the operation.

luckily, only 2 of the cats we had, had to be put down, the others died of old age.

so "how far would you go for your pet", is determined by how much money you have in the bank frankly.

This is my trained "killer". I will use that term lightly though. He is the typical German Shepherd, fiercely loyal, wary of strangers, looks and listens for anything unusual. To his family members, his answer to everything is to lick it to death. All he wants to do is play. He is in the car before the door is fully open and is ready to go anywhere the family is going. He is a long-haired variety, and I will say, out of all of my shepherds, he is the most lovable and goofiest one I have owned.

A few months ago, he wasn't acting quite right. My wife, who has a pulse on everything, checked him and said we need to get him to the animal hospital right now. Off we went. They confirmed what she had feared.... bloat. They mentioned that for most dogs, it's too late by the time they get there. We got him there quickly, so he had a good prognosis. Even though I figured on there being complications that would cost thousands more, that the 6k they quoted for the surgery, I just didn't have the heart to put him down. It was shaky for a while. He had to go back into the animal hospital twice. He was really sick for weeks after. I was hoping we made the right decision. He is now back to being his goofy self while still standing guard for the family. Though some may raise an eyebrow and say it would have been easier and cheaper to put him down, the dog is happy, the kids are happy, the wife is happy, I am happy. How can you put a price on that?

I'm pretty sure you know that you made the right choice. A loyal dog is another family member and there's no cost in the world that can replace that loyalty. I'm glad to hear he's healthy again.

I’m so happy for you and all of your family. I have been to the ends of the earth and back for my pets. They’ve always given us unending love and companionship and never asked for anything but the same back.

Not sure if I mentioned this but I lost my “Nena” (chihuahua) a few months back, she gave no outward signs that she was ill. Went to bed one night as usual when I lay down and she died in her sleep 😢 she was a rescue I got when I lived in Texas. The vet thinks she had cancer and had heart failure. I do believe pets are family but I will draw the line on spending thousands of dollars in pet care. If I have a pet that is in trouble health wise I will work with a vet to determine cause and various remedies and if need be make sure the pet is comfortable. If saving a pet from a terminal illness or traumatic injury is going to cost more then $1,000.00 then I would rather put that money into getting another “rescue”

I have been in your position twice before and plunked down the credit card and would do it again.
My dogs are very important to me and my wife. We are fortunate enough to be able to do what we can to keep our dogs healthy. But we are also realistic in taking into account life quality.
Sounds like you made the right choice. You have your goofy “killer” back.

I would empty the Savings and max out the credit card if I had to for mine.
This guy and I have been through a lot together over the last 11 years.
Don't want to even begin to think about life without him.
Nothing more loyal than a dog.

Attachments

• 20220418_181632.jpg
    20220418_181632.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 79
My wife has been working in the vet biz for 20-some years. I have absolutely one fact of life that as long as I know it and understand it, my life becomes infinitely better: My wife loves our dogs WAY more than she loves me. As long as I know it, live it, and remember it at all times, things are basically good. Usually. In her defense, it has been that way since before we got married, so if I didn't like those terms, I had my choice long ago...

Few years ago, my wife’s cat Massie got sick, she was a rescue cat, after several trips to the vets we found out she had Filine FIP, which is fatel. We did however chose to treat her. The vet tried several methods and even a new drug, but in the end we had to put her to sleep, we couldn’t see her suffering anymore, she was getting to the stage where her one eye wouldn’t focus and the vet said shortly she would start convulsions. My wife took it very hard, so yea, I would go as far as possible for my pet, we have Cassie who actually looks a lot like the other one.

My dogs are part of my family. Extremely loyal, well trained, and obey very well, but are an animal and have a job to do. That's why I have dogs. Not a human blood relative. We love our dogs but they are expendable. If one or both die doing their job warning or trying to protect me or my family from an invader or wild animal. Then they have done their job and done it well and we're dam good dogs! However, I will replace them. As cruel as that sounds. I can't say that about my squaw and kids! I can not replace them!

How far would I go? Not as far as you did. I simply can't afford it. If had deep pockets? That's another story, but I'm happy for you and your family that you did what you did.

Last edited:
that is a very difficult question to answer. many are living paycheck to paycheck. many are living SS check to SS check.

everything costs money, and prices keep skyrocketing. not too many can afford "pet" health care insurance, under thier own cost of living expenses.

yeah i know what some would say, "then don't have a pet"

easy to say, but then why does anyone have a pet? for companionship? for protection? for the love of an animal?

reasons vary why people have pets and cannot afford high dollar vet bills.

we have always had cats. the daughters were always "finding" cats walking home from school or in our backyard.

they had LONG happy, healthy lives...(they would ALL have regular vet check ups, and shots)

but then when any of them would get sick (mind you, we only actually had ONE cat at a time), they were old by the vets standards and we'd be told the cat would not even survive the anisthiea (sp?), and won't survive the operation.

luckily, only 2 of the cats we had, had to be put down, the others died of old age.

so "how far would you go for your pet", is determined by how much money you have in the bank frankly.
Looks like a lot of likes on this but not addressed. The unfortunate truth is that many people go without necessary treatments because of money. It’s not a new phenomenon. Happens everyday.

Doesn’t make one a bad person or make it out of place for someone with less means to own a pet. Take a walk through a pound once. Roughly 6 million go in a shelter each year. 1 million will die in there because of the cost of maintenance. 75% of those euthanized are perfectly healthy. What happens to homeless pets when they get sick? Bottom line is, any care you can give to a pet is better than none. Every meal and every sheltered night might be one they wouldn’t have had, had you not cared enough to do it.

I’m going to add that that came from a guy that dedicated $90k worth of land, $50k worth of fencing and another $50k barn to a bunch of rescued horses and Huskies. I didn’t own an animal when I bought the ranch. Every animal that has come here has been a rescue. I gave em homes, food, shelter, vaccinations and vet care as needed when no one else would. Even found new homes for some. But some things are in God’s hands and beyond my means.

Last edited:
. But some things are in God’s hands and beyond my means.
and to me, that IS the bottom line. one can spend an entire life savings on a "family member" such as a long living pet, but in the end, they may still end up dying. all they got was a little bit longer to live, and the bank account or credit card balance is depleted. you still have to pay THAT bill as well, at whatever high percentage rate is going at the time.

i cannot chastise anyone wanting to go above and beyond in spending THIER money on a pet, but i know that many others simply cannot. for me and the Mrs, we are on SS and small pensions. we have enough to live our lives, and enjoy our "hobbies", but to put ourselves in deep debt, to maybe extend a pet's life for a few days, weeks or months, just isn't in our understanding, as someone mentioned earlier, there are way too many others in the shelters that need a "break" to a good home.

it's a no-win situation at times. people just gotta understand another persons limits. either emotionally, or financially.

I have spent large amounts of money on pets and vet bills. A $4oo test to see if a cat I loved had feline luekemia. He didn't. My best friend Raleigh, a Golden Retriever, had several Aural Hematomas. Those were about $700 a pop. I would spend whatever it took as long as I could afford it. My pets are family and frankly I love them way more than almost any of the people I know.

Back