testtest

How Many Magazines Are Too Many?

The Night Rider

Professional
I remember reading an article several years ago by Tamara Keel in which she stated that she literally buys 30 round AR-15 magazines by the case. She claimed to have hundreds of magazines still in their original packaging and she was buying more.

And I want to clarify that she claimed to have well over a thousand AR magazines. The hundreds were just hundreds that were still in their original wrappers.

To be clear, if that's what she wants to spend for money on it's her money to spend as she pleases. Even if that means hoarding magazines that she literally will never use.

All right, on the other hand, don't have that much money. I can't afford that many magazines. I think I have right around 50 magazines for my Glocks.

I think that's enough to last the rest of my life and I think if I bought any more than that I'd be wasting money that could be better used elsewhere.

I remember this discussion coming up on Glock Talk several years ago and people were literally showing duffel bags full of hundreds of Glock magazines. Again, it's their money to spend as they wish. Some of them were competitive shooters who might have actually used all those magazines in competition. It's just more magazines than I would buy and it's certainly more magazines than I could talk my wife into letting me buy.

So my question is where's your limit? I'm not even looking for a specific number. I'm just wondering at what point do you decide that you're wasting money on magazines?

I don't have a max limit, but do try to keep a minimum limit depending on capacity. Keep in mind that 300 rounds are per firearm and not per cartridge. Example: I have (7) 6.5creeds in AR's that share the same mag type, but each will have their own specific ammo so, 7 x 300= 2,100 rounds. Even if some share the same ammo I still keep 300 rounds per firearm. Most mags are 25 rounds per X 12 mags = 300. In pistol it can vary by an extra 50 rounds. Bolt action mags I don't have as many due to they cost $80 or more each for a 5 round mag. Those will be kept to 10 mags per BA.

In my 33 yrs of service as a LEO in my experience magazines are the first thing I check when a weapon is malfunctioning and more often than not that's usually the culprit if not then I look at the weapon. My opinion is buy what YOU feel is enough. I have at least 5 minimum for every handgun I own and at least 20 for every rifle I own. Just my two cents....

Well, let’s see. There are mags you are going to train with on the range, there are mags you may or may not leave loaded and staged or perhaps in various packs or get home bags, there are mags you have in case mags for your gun become unavailable or illegal, there are mags meant to replace mags damaged or which malfunction and of course your EDC mags.

We’re not going to talk about how many mags I have. Not enough, I’ll tell you that.

I have multiple courses of fire for training and try to have enough magazines for each gun to finish a course of fire without having to stop to reload magazines. For my primary carry gun I have a storage pouch with 12 loaded 1911 mags in my truck so I am ready for my next range session, or whatever. I have 5 AR magazines on hand and loaded to kill hogs and repel borders I don't see a need to load more unless I am going to a training course.

First I want to clarify that I'm not specifically talking about AR magazines. I only use them as an example is because that's what Tamara Keel said she was buying. I also need to point out that in the article that she even claimed that it was an OCD thing brought on by the Assault Weapons Ban of 94.

I'm hearing a lot of people state what their minimum would be.

How many are too many.

At what point do you feel like you're wasting money?

Unless you're buying mags for barter when the crap hits the fan, there is a point where enough is enough..I remember a guy on another site years ago telling newbies that if you don't have 200 loaded 30 round mags you are under armed.

I told the guy if you have enough attackers to need 6000 rounds you gonna die anyway. you can't shoot that many people that are firing back without them finally getting you. this guy thought he was Rambo i guess cause he said they wouldn't get him. so i figured he may be talking about one guy and he misses like 5,999 times.

First I want to clarify that I'm not specifically talking about AR magazines. I only use them as an example is because that's what Tamara Keel said she was buying. I also need to point out that in the article that she even claimed that it was an OCD thing brought on by the Assault Weapons Ban of 94.

I'm hearing a lot of people state what their minimum would be.

How many are too many.

Waste:
My personal need. Over 8 mags per pistol. Avg being 17 rd mag. = 136 rounds ready to roll . So far have not needed more than that for classes, etc ..
Rifles . 30 rd mag avg. 20 mags
600 rds on tap
Thats a lot. Need more than 20 mags in a firefight, mags are not the problem. We’ve got bigger things to worry about.

Well, let’s see. There are mags you are going to train with on the range, there are mags you may or may not leave loaded and staged or perhaps in various packs or get home bags, there are mags you have in case mags for your gun become unavailable or illegal, there are mags meant to replace mags damaged or which malfunction and of course your EDC mags.

We’re not going to talk about how many mags I have. Not enough, I’ll tell you that.
It's probably overkill, have ten mags for all my guns. I recently started rotating loaded mags every three months. I was rotating loaded mags every month. Bassbob pointed out more damage was done to mag springs by loading and unloading them too often. I'm currently in the process of putting new springs in all the mags. Here again probably overkill. Should have added I'm only changing the mag spring in my daily carry pistols.

Last edited:
Back