testtest

How much ammo do you keep on hand?

MsMelissa

Operator
Founding Member
How much ammo do you normally keep on hand? I know a lot of folks are getting burned with the 2020 ammo shortage. What is a good recommendation for rounds on hand? Obviously, one person’s stockpile could be just someone else’s afternoon at the range. Curious as to everyone’s views.

I don't get out to shoot as often as I used to so I don't have as much ammo as some . With that said , I try to keep 800 to 1,000 rounds of range ( target ) ammo on hand. I also try to keep 100 to 200 rounds of defense ammo on hand.

The only thing I am shy on is .38 special range ammo. I'm down to 50 rounds of range ammo for the .38 but still have plenty of self defense ammo for it. I can't find .38 special anywhere around me. Well , not at a price I am willing to pay at least. :(

I'm down to my last 350 rounds.

I used to purchase and keep 500-1,000 rounds on hand [purchase on sale] at a time, because I average 200 rounds a month throughout the year. That was pre-COVID; now I will keep at least 2,000 rounds on hand in case of another run on ammo.

I don't get out to shoot as often as I used to so I don't have as much ammo as some . With that said , I try to keep 800 to 1,000 rounds of range ( target ) ammo on hand. I also try to keep 100 to 200 rounds of defense ammo on hand.

The only thing I am shy on is .38 special range ammo. I'm down to 50 rounds of range ammo for the .38 but still have plenty of self defense ammo for it. I can't find .38 special anywhere around me. Well , not at a price I am willing to pay at least. :(
I only bought defensive ammo once a year or so, but now I will keep at least a couple of boxes on hand.

My goal is to have at least 1k rounds on hand for every ‘main’ firearm. I’d prefer 2k but once I hit the 1k mark, I move on to stocking the next lower tier until that threshold is met. Main = a firearm that will typically be used in both indoor and outdoor defensive encounters. ‘Backup’ firearms get 500 rounds. ‘Last ditch’ firearms get 250 rounds.

Yes, I’m a geek.

I never made it a habit to keep an awful lot on hand since I was always prepared to reload anything I needed at the drop of a hat. Usually a couple boxes of most used. However, I never expected to see a time when even components would be as scare as they are. May have to re-think my habits as time moves on and ammo/components become a little more available.

Ordinarily plenty. Currently, not enough to make me comfortable. Frankly I'm covered for any likely defensive situation, but it's my range ammo that has suffered the most as of late. A year ago I could say I averaged a couple thousand rounds a month at the range. It's nowhere near that now. In fact I haven't shot in almost a month and I'm not real happy about it.

dont tell anybody its worth more than gold
Laugh 5 friends .gif

I like to have at least 1000 rounds of each centerfire caliber that I fire on a regular basis. I'll settle for 250-500 rounds of ammo for guns that I either don't take to the range very often or are only used for hunting. I'd keep 1000 rounds for my hunting rifles as well if money were no object, but I don't need 1000 rounds of 30-30 or .308 WIN bad enough to shell out that kind of cash.
I try to keep considerably more 22 LR on hand because it's cheap (when you can find it), doesn't take up much space, and I tend to go through a lot of it in a single trip to the land with my family. I go to my local range 5 or 6 times a year. I'm unlikely to go through more than 100-200 rounds of .357 Mag or .45 ACP in a single range session, but my sons and their cousins can easily plow through 500 rounds of .22 LR each trip.

Back