testtest

How Much Ammo Should I Carry?

Pretty much said that twice now.

It is unfortunate that you seem to be taking this personally. Yes, I did give plenty of opportunity to answer my query. You have now offered your thoughts and I appreciate your response. I find it lacking but I appreciate it all the same.

For the most part I'm just effing with you dude. Like I said 4 times now, I usually only carry one extra mag. But there are times when I carry more. Right tool, right job, etc.. That's about as convincing an argument as I'm going to make. Now if you had been more specific about the situation you are referring to I might agree with you or have a better answer. If I'm going to the WalMart I see no reason to carry more than one extra mag on me( It's ok if I have a couple more in the truck though right? :) ) If I'm going to extricate an idiot buddy from an ignorant situation in a notorious neighborhood, well, I'm bringing more than one extra.

Reasonable expectations.... what are they for the, your, given situation. Carrying enough supplies, including ammunition, to cover every possible situation which is possible, is impossible. Therefore you need to look at your situation and decide what reasonable threat level may be. And what yoy feel comfortable with to deal day to day.

Personally, I am semi retired. Currently have a job driving bus about 20 miles from home which keeps me away from home an a average 12 hours per day during the school year. Thus I carry a GHB in case something puts me on foot trying to get home. Inside is a handgun with 4 8 round magazines. This is also available to me should I need it during any day. In summer 99 percent of my time is home.

For daily carry, I live in a rural area with a smaller city near by where we shop. But most off time is spent at my smallish homestead. My reasonable expectation is that my threat level is low. I might reasonably encounter a viscious dog, or a drug addict robber. my possibility of encountering a roving gang of thugs is relatively low.

I am perfectly comfortable with a Jframe revolver with a reload, or a 1911 with spare magazine on me from the time I get up to bedtime. The one reload is "just in case". Of course there are greater firepower options available at home should the need arise.

Last edited:
Brand and size of pistol, mag or cylinder capacity, caliber, bullet type, how much ammo you carry, type of holster and where you carry it, lights and optics, how often you practice, and a myriad of other factors are all individual, situational choices that each of us have to make. Mindset and experience are a key element. It is important to know the options and to make informed choices that fit your situation. I will teach my thinking on the subject, but I won't criticize anyone for not carrying a reload or for carrying a D-Day load because it is a personal choice. But I do expect safety and competence.

My personal choices of the above are based upon my LEO background, and what I call the policeman's nightmare: That violence would happen in my presence and I would be helpless to stop it. But that is not for everyone, because we are different.

Now to ponder another critical question. What are the tactical merits of wearing Jockey shorts versus boxer shorts in a shootout?

Reasonable expectations.... what are they for the, your, given situation. Carrying enough supplies, including ammunition, to cover every possible situation which is possible, is impossible. Therefore you need to look at your situation and decide what reasonable threat level may be. And what yoy feel comfortable with to deal day to day.

Personally, I am semi retired. Currently have a job driving bus about 20 miles from home which keeps me away from home an a average 12 hours per day during the school year. Thus I carry a GHB in case something puts me on foot trying to get home. Inside is a handgun with 4 8 round magazines. This is also available to me should I need it during any day. In summer 99 percent of my time is home.

For daily carry, I live in a rural area with a smaller city near by where we shop. But most off time is spent at my smallish homestead. My reasonable expectation is that my threat level is low. I might reasonably encounter a viscious dog, or a drug addict robber. my possibility of encountering a roving gang of thugs is relatively low.

I am perfectly comfortable with a Jframe revolver with a reload, or a 1911 with spare magazine on me from the time I get up to bedtime. The one reload is "just in case". Of course there are greater firepower options available at home should the need arise.
I can see the need for a "GHB" when venturing miles from home, but I have to ask if the school district you work for permits firearms on school property? Just asking as someone who used to work in the school system.

No, but since I do not park on thier property it doesn't matter.

Am not sure about your specific details around school property, but Federal, state, city CC laws concerning schools can sometimes be tricky. Sometimes schools have their own prohibitions and conditions too. At times just checking in with school and asking permission is all that's needed, in writing preferably, or if HG's are permitted on or near school grounds, sometimes are, sometimes are not. Also, school buses are generally considered school property. Protect yourself.

Here's a generalized article concerning some info you may find helpful?

Am not sure about your specific details around school property, but Federal, state, city CC laws concerning schools can sometimes be tricky. Sometimes schools have their own prohibitions and conditions too. At times just checking in with school and asking permission is all that's needed, in writing preferably, or if HG's are permitted on or near school grounds, sometimes are, sometimes are not. Also, school buses are generally considered school property. Protect yourself.

Here's a generalized article concerning some info you may find helpful?

We're covered here in Oklahoma with recent legislation (parking lot only).

When I stated "school property" I was referring more to the actual bus you're transporting kids on, but we'll leave it at that.
You know a lot of people are not “allowed”to carry at work. Sometimes it’s with a wink and a nod. “ Our policy is no firearms, but no one is searching you”.

In any case trying to get someone to incriminate themselves here on the internet is not cool.

You know a lot of people are not “allowed”to carry at work. Sometimes it’s with a wink and a nod. “ Our policy is no firearms, but no one is searching you”.

In any case trying to get someone to incriminate themselves here on the internet is not cool.
Not trying to incriminate anyone, and was responding to his statement:

"... Currently have a job driving bus about 20 miles from home which keeps me away from home an a average 12 hours per day during the school year. Thus I carry a GHB in case something puts me on foot trying to get home. Inside is a handgun with 4 8 round magazines."

Not trying to incriminate anyone, and was responding to his statement:

"... Currently have a job driving bus about 20 miles from home which keeps me away from home an a average 12 hours per day during the school year. Thus I carry a GHB in case something puts me on foot trying to get home. Inside is a handgun with 4 8 round magazines."
Responding by asking him if that’s allowed.

Nope it's not cool. If referring to my statement, not my intent by any means. Was meant and intended as a more generalized statement. Only trying to keep people out of any hot water by being more aware to prevent possible issues. Laws can change and vary from place to place.

Reflecting on this thread as I retrieved my pistol and mags from the lock box this morning. A couple years ago my daughter, who is now career military, saw me put two mags in my port side pouch. She said, "Gee, Dad, are you expecting trouble?" My answer is "yes, dear, always prepared for it". It would be impossible for me to overcome 50 years of programming at this point. Or, as Nana would say, "You aren't gonna change Papa".

Did you overcome being "programmed" to wear a uniform, a vest and 20+ pounds of additional gear? How did you manage it but not be able to get over carrying 2 mags.
Why are you so adamant that no one should carry 2 extra mags ? Most people, including professional instructors, will tell you to carry as many as you can comfortably carry and/or conceal.

Why are you so adamant that no one should carry 2 extra mags ? Most people, including professional instructors, will tell you to carry as many as you can comfortably carry and/or conceal.
Exactly. Could be just to get a reaction out of people and possibly stir people up? Think about it? In some ways is good practice for other things? Can get another person off kilter and their feathers ruffled? Like screaming sometimes can? Me? I don't care 1, 2, 10 or 20 mag's are fine. I go with at least one, normally two. Except when practicing. No one else likes it?.......

Back