testtest

How Much Ammo Should You Carry

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Good read on how much ammo you should carry.

I prefer to carry a backup gun over extra magazines. I have carried extra mags in the past, but I found the backup gun in a pocket holster to have a distinct advantage over extra magazines. The BUG in a sticky holster stays in one place in my pocket, while magazines inevitably shift around. I like the mag holders that attach to the belt, but my wardrobe often won't accommodate this style of carry.

I'm also convinced that jeans pockets are getting smaller. It takes me several seconds to get my keys out of my pocket, so I can only imagine trying to do it with a magazine under stress during a gunfight. I have some 511 pants with nifty magazine pockets, but I'm so used to the BUG now that it would be a little weird to change.

I also like having the ability to arm a second person if things really go to hell. Handing my unarmed buddy a magazine isn't nearly as useful as bringing a second gun into the fight.

Assuming one can find or afford, a case? - Makes normally carrying a couple of full mags or full reloads seem light in comparison? (Semi sarcastic.)
Foresight, possible duration and situational awareness helps determine load, but only goes so far?
Always carry at least an extra full reload. "Murphy" is never far off?

While day trip traveling 2-3 mags in the truck for what’s on my hip.
Like mentioned above if I’m going into town or someplace sketchy,
“Which I do very rarely”
I’ll have two in a mag holster.
When I go camping I’ll have a significant amount for all/any situation.

Since I am now carrying my new xds, I run the 7rd +1 in the gun and a single spare 9rd in a mag holder. Both gun and mag IWB, appendix with the gun and the mag @ 7:00.

If I carry my 10mm it goes with just the 15+1 for urban carry. 1911 gets the same treatment as the xds with 8+1 and a spare 8rd.

15-16 rds seems perfect to me. I want stealth and minimalist theory. And I stay away from sketchy places as much as possible.

I guess carrying concealed is a wasted effort if I'm going to wear a bandolier. ;)

bandolier.jpg

Magazines fail. Planning your shots very carefully because you only have a couple left is a hell of a way to be engaged in a gunfight. It's easy enough to carry extra.
Exactly. Apples/apples? Many long road racers normally carry 2 spare tires. Some racers have multiple cars, engines/rigs. Not much difference except type of bang?

Back