testtest

How Much Should I Train?

Ken Hackathon is a legend! Very interesting guy to listen to in some of the interviews he's been part of.

Yep, I always seek out the wise advice of these guys that have alot of experience.

Also, I was lucky to meet and shoot with Mike Seeklander last summer. I put him in the same category as Hackathorn.

I have ALOT of work to do, and may never, get where these guys are.

Yep, I always seek out the wise advice of these guys that have alot of experience.

Also, I was lucky to meet and shoot with Mike Seeklander last summer. I put him in the same category as Hackathorn.

I have ALOT of work to do, and may never, get where these guys are.
Keep training and be the best you can be!

There is a whole generation of old school warriors that are fading into the past and with the invention of cell phones and go pro cameras the story of war is almost a changing fad with people now posting their combat footage online for likes. I can really appreciate the first hand accounts some of these men are willing to share and have the utmost respect for all who fight or fought for our nation.

Last edited:
During the shooting season (mid-March to Mid-Oct) I shoot weekly either at the club or on my own.
I try and get to the the range at least once a week. Training takes on many forms like drawing, aiming, & shooting as a few small examples. I have a friend who thinks he's ready to take on the zombie horde because he is great shot shooting very slowly. My friend doesn't ever practice drawing or even rapid fire drills and when I've seen him shoot rapid fire his groups were all over the map. I'm pretty sure a day hasn't gone by in the past few years where I haven't had a gun in my hand. I often find myself pulling random pistols from my safe and bringing them up to aim at a target quickly without shooting just to see where my eyes land on the sights.

What is the intended purpose of our training?

In the end train towards what you're trying to become most and don't take on too much at once. Perfect a few techniques then move on to the next level.

Always train ...

leading a hog with a 5.56 is different than a dove with a 12 gauge
My .45 is diff from my 9mm
Hitting a moving skunk is diff than a paper target

i have missed at all 3 and learned you can never have too much practice or learn something new

muscle memory and practice

Besides pistol all that includes probably an equal amount of rifle shooting.
I shoot probably an equal amount of pistol and rifle but I do mix in about 15-30 12 gauge slugs a month into my range time. I get a 15 pack 2-3/4 federal slugs for $10.50 at Wal-Mart which is a good deal for slugs. I shoot a silhouette target at a 100yds with a smoothbore 18in barrel using ghost ring sights.

I have a small ( 20 yards) pistol/ shotgun range set up out back but recently I joined a club about 7 miles away that has a range on the grounds with berms and targets at 12-25-100 and 200 yards. I’m almost always the only person there. I train with pistols and shotguns mostly. Often alone but sometimes with some military and LEO buddies of mine. I’m good for probably 1000 rounds a month but that number is probably higher in the warmer months. There are several good places to buy ammo in bulk for good prices. I get a lot of ammo from Target Sports USA

Back