testtest

How old and which one.....

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
When you went out to buy your first firearm, how old were you and what did you purchase? I was 21, went and bought a used S&W model 66 with the 4” barrel and 2 boxes of ammo. About a week later I bought a new S&W model 17 with the 6” barrel. Kept both of these for years, then eventually traded them off for other firearms.

I was 13 or 14; I bought a Remington Nylon 67 (or maybe it was a 10C) .22 from a local hardware store (my dad did the paperwork, but the money came out of my wallet).

$45.

Traded it a year or so later for a bolt action Marlin 25 that I still have, at the same store. Missed that Remington, though...replaced it a few years ago with a 10C, cost me $300...

56 years of age in 2012 (started late, just let's say Beer got in the way ;)). Went to Cabelas and bought a Bushmaster XM-15 ORC and a S&W M&P 9mm pistol. Paid a premium for the Bushmaster, as talk of AR bans were similar as they are today.
Note: I'm not counting a single shot Crossman pump pellet pistol that my father had to get the permit for and we bought when I was a teenager (yes, even back then in NJ, a pistol permit with two references was required to purchase a pellet/bb gun as they were considered legitimate pistol firearms. Man, I'm glad I'm no longer living in that State)

I think I was around 12 years old. My dad bought (paperwork wise) me a Marlin bolt action .22 from the local hardware store. Maybe at 13 or 14, my dad did the same for a 20 gauge Savage pump shotgun. Still have both to this day, and I'm 55. The first firearm I bought on my own, as an adult, was my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag. I bought that in the mid '80s, while in the Army. Still have that one also.

About 10 and bought this with hard earned allowance.

1615677236014.png

Seriously, at 16 I bought a Crossman pellet gun that I needed a firearms identification card to own.
At 21. I bought my first pistol, a Helwan Brigadier. The electronic skeet game was more reliable.

My first gun purchase - solo - was also a Hi Power. Age about 25.

Dad bought me a little .410ga when I was somewheres around 10-11. Graduated to his pump gun a couple yrs later, and we always had .22 rifles around - we leaned twds small game “for the pot” then. Quail, rabbit etc. Oddly, there weren’t nearly as many deer around then as now, and the woods full of hunters we didn’t know worried Dad a bit.

Dad took me up to Potomac Arms which was the retail store for Hunters Lodge located at Zero Prince Street in Alexandria, Va. Hunters Lodge was part of International Armament Corporation. The occasion was my 16th birthday, and I had enough cash to buy a WWII K98. They didn't have a decent K98 in the store, so the salesman took us across the street to a huge warehouse where there were more cases of guns stacked to the ceiling than I could count. The gentleman took a crowbar and pried open a case. Out came a rifle covered in cosmoline. It was a 1938 S/42; all matching. I got the rifle, a sling, and a bayonet for $36.90 + $1.10 for tax. In retrospect I'm sorry I didn't get to meet Sam Cummings or gotten dad to buy the whole case!

Last edited:
At age 18, Dad bought me a Remington 700 as a high school graduation present. Less than a year later, I bought a Remington 870 Wingmaster with an Improved Cylinder barrel. Still have and shoot both as they are as accurate as they were in the late 1960's. Both still look good too as I always followed Dad's advice on cleaning and maintenance.

One day at the dinner table before we started eating, Dad pulled out a wad of cash bigger than I had ever seen before. He proceeded to count out equal piles for me and my older sister. It was for the "runt" pigs we had saved and raised ourselves in a small pen I had built in the corner of the windbreak. He had sent them to market included in the last load and I had forgotten about it; he now surprised us with a reward for work. Don't recall the exact amount but it approached five hundred dollars. My own money. WOW. Could save it or spend it as we liked. Few days later he took me to the small Sporting goods store in town where I picked out a clip fed Winchester .22, around $89 as I recall, no paperwork, no nothing but the money changing hands. Got a few boxes of ammo. Went all about the farm and woods with it, never instructed with it, kept it in my BR closet, used it anytime I wanted. Shoot the eyes out of a snake with it.
Marvin, my best friend on the farm to the east had a bolt action .22, I'd shoot the mud beside a bullfrog sending it airborne then we'd both shoot ( and often enough, score a hit ) in the air. One day I took aim at the arrow tip on the weather vane on the lighting rod on the barn roof to watch it spin; but it did not spin, just broke off! Put many a round through it over many years. Don't recall what I happened to it. Was nine years old when I bought it.

Back