testtest

How to Carry a Handgun: 5 Carry Positions

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The goal isn’t to carry a handgun as comfortably as possible. Instead, it is to carry the handgun securely with quick access and a high degree of repeatability. The holster and belt combination must be secure at all times.

How to Carry a Handgun: 5 Carry Positions

1665851918757.png

I think it depends. Some will not and/or can not carry unless they can do so comfortably.

Some can not and will not carry unless they can conceal their firearm well.

For others, their goal is to be able to carry as comfortably as possible in a secure holster.

I do not see it as a one size fits all rule. Whatever one needs to do to have a high degree of repeatability when it comes actually carrying on a consistent basis is alright with me.

Good article but as @HayesGreener said,not a huge fan of having a pistol pointing at something I rather would like to keep in 1 piece lol
AIWB carry is the most uncomfortable form of carry I ever tried. Driving, sitting down, squating, and just doing regular daily activities was anything but comfortable. And yea, I don't like having anything pointed at my junk.

To each their own though. I gave it a try, but it wasn't for me.

I carry AIWB as well. Started with a DAO but changed last year to a cocked & locked 1911 officer. Have no trouble driving or doing chores, less chance of accidental exposure when squatting and more accessible in the car. I used to carry at 3:00 but - at a small gathering, during handshakes & social hugs, I got found out. AIBW cured that as people are generally uncomfortable touching or even looking in that area ... IMHO.
Other than that, choices are great!!

If the holster/barrel extends below the belt line (which it normally does), how is it not jabbing you in the leg or stomach or pointing at a majority artery or private region while squatting, sitting, or bending over? That's the issue I had, and it was very uncomfortable. Even with the "claw," it still printed more so than other methods of carry because my stomach is not completely flat, and I don't wear baggy over sized clothing. Maybe I was doing it wrong???

Safety and/or hammer fired or not, the muzzle end is pointed at one of the last places you'd like to get shot. I wouldn't use the fact that a gun has a hammer or safety as a reason to say it's okay to point a loaded gun at any living thing let alone myself. Guess we all do have choices. I really don't care about how others choose to carry to be honest. I am just reporting my personal experience and why I ultimately came to the conclusion that it wasn't comfortable or safe for me to do. YMMV.

If you're carrying IWB on your hip and have a ND you still have a pretty good shot at hitting the ol' femoral artery. Just sayin'.

If you're carrying IWB on your hip and have a ND you still have a pretty good shot at hitting the ol' femoral artery. Just sayin'.
I disagree with that. The muzzle is pointed towards the ground when I carry IWB or OWB concealed.

74QRohZ.jpg

qKGXR4D.jpg

wxtltTT.jpg

Not pointed at an artery. I also have a slight cant which angles the muzzle towards my backside.

If the holster/barrel extends below the belt line (which it normally does), how is it not jabbing you in the leg or stomach or pointing at a majority artery or private region while squatting, sitting, or bending over? That's the issue I had, and it was very uncomfortable. Even with the "claw," it still printed more so than other methods of carry because my stomach is not completely flat, and I don't wear baggy over sized clothing. Maybe I was doing it wrong???

Safety and/or hammer fired or not, the muzzle end is pointed at one of the last places you'd like to get shot. I wouldn't use the fact that a gun has a hammer or safety as a reason to say it's okay to point a loaded gun at any living thing let alone myself. Guess we all do have choices. I really don't care about how others choose to carry to be honest. I am just reporting my personal experience and why I ultimately came to the conclusion that it wasn't comfortable or safe for

If you carry in a way that's comfortable & safe for you then you're doing nothing wrong - be it AIWB, IWB, OWB, pocket or shoulder. I have no issues with printing or poking - that's why I chose an officer model. And as for the danger - a 1911 will not discharge unless the manual safety has been disengaged AND the grip safety is disengaged AND the trigger is pulled. One or two out of the three won't work - has to be all 3 at the same time. Debris or a shirt tail getting tangled up in its trigger guard will not discharge the weapon. So for me, I feel very safe. Not advocating for it nor suggesting it's the only answer. Choices are indeed great!

If you carry in a way that's comfortable & safe for you then you're doing nothing wrong - be it AIWB, IWB, OWB, pocket or shoulder. I have no issues with printing or poking - that's why I chose an officer model. And as for the danger - a 1911 will not discharge unless the manual safety has been disengaged AND the grip safety is disengaged AND the trigger is pulled. One or two out of the three won't work - has to be all 3 at the same time. Debris or a shirt tail getting tangled up in its trigger guard will not discharge the weapon. So for me, I feel very safe. Not advocating for it nor suggesting it's the only answer. Choices are indeed great!
I can respect that. I might voice my opinion in reference to what works or does not work for me, but I really don't care what others do, how they carry, or what gun they choose to carry. It's no skin off of my teeth.

I know of a few people who swear by AIWB carry, and have taken numerous training courses carrying that way.

I think "one-size doesn't fit all"...carry positions can vary based on what's comfortable & accessible.

Case in point is carrying while driving vs. standing and walking.

IMO, nothing is as uncomfortable than wearing a handgun on your belt/waist while driving, so when I know I'm driving a lot I wear a shoulder holster. Also, while hiking with a pack I use a chest holster so not to interfere with the pack belt and wearing on the chest is very accessible.

Other than those uses I prefer a OWB since an IWB is very uncomfortable.

Then there's summer wear vs. cooler seasons when you can conceal carry much easier. That involves other carry options, including switching to a smaller handgun that is more concealable in small clothing.

So, depending on what you do having more than one holster for a handgun is likely needed for various carry needs.

My .02

I think "one-size doesn't fit all"...carry positions can vary based on what's comfortable & accessible.

Case in point is carrying while driving vs. standing and walking.

IMO, nothing is as uncomfortable than wearing a handgun on your belt/waist while driving, so when I know I'm driving a lot I wear a shoulder holster. Also, while hiking with a pack I use a chest holster so not to interfere with the pack belt and wearing on the chest is very accessible.

Other than those uses I prefer a OWB since an IWB is very uncomfortable.

Then there's summer wear vs. cooler seasons when you can conceal carry much easier. That involves other carry options, including switching to a smaller handgun that is more concealable in small clothing.

So, depending on what you do having more than one holster for a handgun is likely needed for various carry needs.

My .02
And there you have it! When I lived in the NE, I carried my BHP in a shoulder rig for years. After moving to Florida, it's a pocket-carry SS mouse gun to the beach and a 1911 officer AIWB everywhere else. Choices are great!

I advise everyone I teach civilians and fellow Officers to carry what's comfortable for them and make sure in addition to practicing marksmanship skills that they should also practice drawing from their preferred holster and method of carrying. Case in point whenever I purchase any new holster be it for duty or conceal carry I will literally practice sitting, standing, driving and other tasks I perform with the weapon in that particular holster. I normally carry at the 4 o'clock position myself. The only thing I strongly advise against is the small of the back carry option. Sure it may feel comfortable but if in the event you fall backwards or get pushed into something whether it be a wall or a car that holster is way too close to the spine. Hence the reason why when you see most cops in uniform the middle of the back of their duty belts are free and clean of any gear or at least they should be. Just my two cents.

Back