testtest

How to Choose the Right Self-Defense Gun

I do not own any 380 caliber pistols, but I admit I've warmed to them recently. Reason? Ammunition improvements have made it much more respectable, IMO.
The husband bought me my first handgun, Walther PPK 380. That gun became one with my hand and still feels awesome, but it's very hard for me to rack. I have since acquired several .45 ACP and 9mm guns on my own. They all become one with my hand, but not all of them are comfortable for me to carry. As my "noobieism" is fairly fresh, I can admit that I was kind of intimidated at first because there were so many things to consider and so many really nice guns to choose from. The one thing I took away from my experiences in choosing a firearm is to take your time. I am an impulsive soul, and have been very lucky that my intuition led me to make decent decisions. I have learned a lot and continue to do so. Your comments here really help as they make me see things from another point of view. I have become more cautious now as I step into looking at the AR platform.

The husband bought me my first handgun, Walther PPK 380. That gun became one with my hand and still feels awesome, but it's very hard for me to rack. I have since acquired several .45 ACP and 9mm guns on my own. They all become one with my hand, but not all of them are comfortable for me to carry. As my "noobieism" is fairly fresh, I can admit that I was kind of intimidated at first because there were so many things to consider and so many really nice guns to choose from. The one thing I took away from my experiences in choosing a firearm is to take your time. I am an impulsive soul, and have been very lucky that my intuition led me to make decent decisions. I have learned a lot and continue to do so. Your comments here really help as they make me see things from another point of view. I have become more cautious now as I step into looking at the AR platform.

Carry and don't what feels great to you. In modern loads there is really little difference in most common calibers. I have seen papers with all sorts of conclusions. Even seen one that studied morgue resulta that showed in the cases they had the .380 best the 9mm by 5 percent in one shot stops. Does this mean it's better no, that's simply the data thry had to draw conclusions from. There is little practical difference. I gibd with my arthritis that 380 is nice on my thumbs, and I have never felt undergunned. Others feel otherwise, do what's right for you.

They all pale in comparison to a rifle or shotgun.

One of my favorites carry, 380 Browning 1911.

20210530_130407.jpg

The perfect self defense gun is what you’re comfortable with, what works reliably for you and what you shoot well. It doesn’t matter if it’s a Hi-Point or a Staccato as long as it shoots, feeds and you’re accurate with it.
That being said my “bump in the night” guns all have lights, my EDC guns are easily concealed and I’ve trained enough with them to make them the more accurate shooters I have and everything outside my 1911’s and competition guns have night sights.

What AR do you have in mind?

The perfect self defense gun is what you’re comfortable with, what works reliably for you and what you shoot well. It doesn’t matter if it’s a Hi-Point or a Staccato as long as it shoots, feeds and you’re accurate with it.
That being said my “bump in the night” guns all have lights, my EDC guns are easily concealed and I’ve trained enough with them to make them the more accurate shooters I have and everything outside my 1911’s and competition guns have night sights.
I think you’re the only person to ever use the words reliable and Hi-Point in the same sentence

When you get ready for an AR, we need to have a nice long discussion about it. ;):)

Back