testtest

How To Load a Pistol

Good article.

I’ll add—I like to use a “charger mag” to administratively load; that is, a magazine loaded with a single round.

If you’ve ever had a 1911 with a home trigger job (NOT mine!) experience hammer follow and go cyclic when you dropped the slide...it's a good habit to get into.

It's also a reason to have a firm grip on the pistol, and make sure it's pointed downrange/at a safe backstop when charging. I have a 5 gallon bucket of sand I use at home...

Good article.

For my EDC XDs 9mm 3.3, I load slightly differently since I carry 7+1.

1. I verify an empty gun, i.e. just cleaned, with no mag and an empty chamber.

2. I lock my slide open. I drop one loose round into the chamber, and secure it in place by releasing the slide lock tab.

3. I then insert a full (flush-fit, 7 round) magazine, and holster the gun for daily carry.

Can any folks smarter than I, think of a reason I should do this differently? I have, in the past, inserted a full mag into a cleared pistol, racked the slide to load the top round out of the slide, then removed the slide, re-filled the mag, and reinserted it...but eventually I just started taking the one loose chamber-round that I eject before cleaning (cleaning process is, drop mag, clear chamber, lock slide open, then proceed with disassembly/cleaning process), and simply inserting it back into the chamber.

Good article.

2. I lock my slide open. I drop one loose round into the chamber, and secure it in place by releasing the slide lock tab.

3. I then insert a full (flush-fit, 7 round) magazine, and holster the gun for daily carry.

Can any folks smarter than I, think of a reason I should do this differently? I have, in the past, inserted a full mag into a cleared pistol, racked the slide to load the top round out of the slide, then removed the slide, re-filled the mag, and reinserted it...but eventually I just started taking the one loose chamber-round that I eject before cleaning (cleaning process is, drop mag, clear chamber, lock slide open, then proceed with disassembly/cleaning process), and simply inserting it back into the chamber.

I’m not sure offhand how the extractor On the XDE works, but...on a lot of pistols, that’s a great way to break/bend your extractor claw.

Most pistols ate designed to feed as the slide goes forward, the round I slides up the face and behind the extractor. By dropping the slide on a loaded chamber, you are forcing the extractor to snap over the cartridge rim...which it is not designed to do. This can either damage the claw or damage the rim of the cartridge, leading to an extraction failure.

If you know rifles, think controlled round (aka Mauser) feed as compared to push feed (Remington 700, AR15, etc)...about the only pistol I can think of offhand that will work as push-feed is a Beretta 92.

Personally, I wouldn’t do it.

Good article.

peglegjoe - I agree with Hans. The extractor moving over the cartridge rim isn’t the best way to load.Loading upfrom the mag then adding the round back in or using a second mag is going to be more reliable and better for your gun.

Roger that, thank you. I haven't had any FTE issues yet, but have noticed some nicks on the rim of the chambered round. Now I know, and I will alter my practice. Appreciate all the help!

...I also haven't done a cleaning for a while (haven't had the opportunity to do any practicing), but I'll check the extractor tonight when I get home.

I was successful in fighting the urge to simply draw and check it, while I sit here at work. Sheesh. When ya get TOO comfortable with the EDC, you can get yourself in trouble....! :rolleyes:

...I also haven't done a cleaning for a while (haven't had the opportunity to do any practicing), but I'll check the extractor tonight when I get home.

I was successful in fighting the urge to simply draw and check it, while I sit here at work. Sheesh. When ya get TOO comfortable with the EDC, you can get yourself in trouble....! :rolleyes:

no doubt PegLegJoe there is such a thing as too comfortable!

Back