testtest

how to not waste lead remover

Old_Me

Ronin
hey, i took my G-17 to the range earlier, and shot off 150 rounds of my reloads.

as i was cleaning the gun, i hold up the barrel to the light, and i can see some "leading" in the rifling.

i tried to swab it twice, onece with Sure shot lead remover, and once with Boar's Head(??) lead remover.

however, time is limited for me for cleaning today.

so, i came up with a way to "soak" the barrel with the lead remover and not be wasteful.

i bought a dozen or so, needle point plastic syringes from Amazon, as i use one and fill that with grease for pin point greasing some of my guns.

ok, so i cut off the tip (you really do not have to)

then i used my heat gun to soften the tip, and a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the tip closed, until it cools.

then, drop in the barrel, and fill the barrel with the lead remover.

now, i have to use my vice to hole the device.

i can let it soak for as long as i need to, (today is the first time i am doing this), and run a brush thru it later.

1669658330469.png

1669658351251.png

1669658366916.png

if this works, i will try to find a way to do this for the 1911 barrels, as the Glock just fits, and i'd imagine any other 9mm barrel will

hey, i took my G-17 to the range earlier, and shot off 150 rounds of my reloads.

as i was cleaning the gun, i hold up the barrel to the light, and i can see some "leading" in the rifling.

i tried to swab it twice, onece with Sure shot lead remover, and once with Boar's Head(??) lead remover.

however, time is limited for me for cleaning today.

so, i came up with a way to "soak" the barrel with the lead remover and not be wasteful.

i bought a dozen or so, needle point plastic syringes from Amazon, as i use one and fill that with grease for pin point greasing some of my guns.

ok, so i cut off the tip (you really do not have to)

then i used my heat gun to soften the tip, and a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the tip closed, until it cools.

then, drop in the barrel, and fill the barrel with the lead remover.

now, i have to use my vice to hole the device.

i can let it soak for as long as i need to, (today is the first time i am doing this), and run a brush thru it later.

View attachment 32879

View attachment 32880

View attachment 32881

if this works, i will try to find a way to do this for the 1911 barrels, as the Glock just fits, and i'd imagine any other 9mm barrel will
You shoot lead in a Glock, not supposed to but that’s been discussed on here a lot, just sayin, all I know is what I was told when I took my Glock armorer course ………no lead, but all well

Last edited:
You shoot lead in a Glock, not supposed to but that’s been discussed on here a lot, just sayin, all I know is what I was told when I took my Glock armorer course ………no lead, but all well
Life is way too short to clean lead out of rifling.

As you said, we have had this conversation here before many times, but I reload .357 and .44 and I use jacketed bullets.

No lead in a Glock!!! Learned that in Glock school. No lead, Ever.
You actually shouldn’t shoot lead through any polygonal rifled barrel, the lead will smear on the flat rifling and build up to a point
as i have mentioned, (many times in the past as well), i clean all my guns after every range visit.

"some" build up of lead and or copper in inevitable, in any gun barrel, no matter how much cleaning a person does.

i went thru a google search on lead thru a Glock, and just as many have said they shoot lead with no issues.

some said they switch out a glock barrel for an aftermarket, some say they just use the original barrel.

it was mentioned the primary reason for "no lead in a glock ever", was due to Glock not knowing the recipes that reloaders use, over the factory loaded ammo, and the potential problems a reloader can cause.

i have "set" my powder charge to 3.8 grains of Bullseye. (up from the starting charge of 3.0)

when i make the switch over to TiteGroup, i will reload to that specified grain.

and to make "some of you happier than a pig in the pen"

i searched for both copper plated and FMJ bullets, and have ordered up some (of whatever) from Berry's Bullets.

strange though, no sales tax was included...

imma gonna get another letter regarding the sales tax, from yet another online retailer now.

but too, i'm still gonna reload the lead 9mm's that i have on hand.

as i have mentioned, (many times in the past as well), i clean all my guns after every range visit.

"some" build up of lead and or copper in inevitable, in any gun barrel, no matter how much cleaning a person does.

i went thru a google search on lead thru a Glock, and just as many have said they shoot lead with no issues.

some said they switch out a glock barrel for an aftermarket, some say they just use the original barrel.

it was mentioned the primary reason for "no lead in a glock ever", was due to Glock not knowing the recipes that reloaders use, over the factory loaded ammo, and the potential problems a reloader can cause.

i have "set" my powder charge to 3.8 grains of Bullseye. (up from the starting charge of 3.0)

when i make the switch over to TiteGroup, i will reload to that specified grain.

i searched for both copper plated and FMJ bullets, and have ordered up some (of whatever) from Berry's Bullets.

imma gonna get another letter regarding the sales tax, from yet another online retailer now.

I would never tell anyone what to do with their stuff brother. I also don't know anything about Glocks. I have heard the thing about Polygonal Rifling though. I just think cleaning lead fouling out of rifling sucks. So I don't use it.

I am not telling you what to do with your guns, I am just relaying to me what was stated at the Glock armorers course when I took it in Symrna Georgia, its not what loads people are doing, its the lead build up in the polygonal rifling, over time it can build up and increase pressures. I don't do google search, I don't believe half the crap a google search says, I got my information from Glock with this exact reason why, so, I am done on this subject, plus I aint no pig and I am not happy, I was just being honest to say what I did.

I am not telling you what to do with your guns, I am just relaying to me what was stated at the Glock armorers course when I took it in Symrna Georgia, its not what loads people are doing, its the lead build up in the polygonal rifling, over time it can build up and increase pressures. I don't do google search, I don't believe half the crap a google search says, I got my information from Glock with this exact reason why, so, I am done on this subject, plus I aint no pig and I am not happy, I was just being honest to say what I did.
X2

You can, in fact safely shoot lead through poly barrels—IF you do what @Old_Me does…clean the crap out of it when you’re done.

The problem only arises when you try and run a jacketed round through a barrel that’s seen A LOT of lead without cleaning…and we’re talking thousands of rounds, here. The jacketed round won’t deform like lead will, and will try and force the lead out by pushing it ahead of the bullet…which can lead to overpressure.

Glock says no lead period to cover their legal tuchus…and that’s the ONLY reason.

As long as you clean the bore before shooting jacketed, though…you’re fine.

We won’t getting into hard cast, etc…

Glock says no lead period to cover their legal tuchus…and that’s the ONLY reason.
This is where I will firmly disagree, are you a lawyer for Glock, no, this is your opinion, like my opinion on this subject, we both have our thoughts, I know what I was told, this is a sore subject where you will get multiple opinions on this, so I am officially done on this.

It's not advised to in polygonal rifling as lead can build up and cause unsafe pressures. I don't shoot lead in anything, only because I don't like it. Semi-jacketed is about as close as I get. You might just have the 1 and only lucky barrel? Be safe!
given that the shortages are holding up "some" components, finding lead bullets over FMJ or copper plated, was and still is easier.
even long before i got into producing my own ammo, i was using leaded reloads.
"and to make "some of you happier than a pig in the pen", your happiness is the only one's here that matters.
this is true to a point. but opinions, and facts are always present in a discussion or two.
"happier than a pig in the pen" or "happier than a pig in the poke", or happier than a pig in the mud", is a very old "saying" around here, maybe other places, so no particular reference to any 1 or 2 individuals.

just like down south, y'all have "sayings"

1)
What is the saying happy as a pig in?

Happy as a Pig in Mud

In the 1860s it was common to see happy as a pig in clover, or happy as a pig in a puddle. The important thing is, should you have a pig, that you figure out what causes this happiness, and then work to procure it.

Back