testtest

How to Reload a Handgun

I am a proponent of performing a reload of a semi auto at chest level. When I reload a revolver it is roughly at the same position but slightly lower. I try not to overintellectualize the process but the bottom line is that the task is important enough to get it right. Under stress most people are going to default to what is engrained. I have never been a comp shooter as I am simply not interested in the gaming aspect shooting a firearm. I do it the same way every time with the exception of approximately 2-3 inches lower for revolvers. Its simply a comfort thing.

I am a proponent of performing a reload of a semi auto at chest level. When I reload a revolver it is roughly at the same position but slightly lower. I try not to overintellectualize the process but the bottom line is that the task is important enough to get it right. Under stress most people are going to default to what is engrained. I have never been a comp shooter as I am simply not interested in the gaming aspect shooting a firearm. I do it the same way every time with the exception of approximately 2-3 inches lower for revolvers. Its simply a comfort thing.
Curious, why chest level for semi-auto ? Reloads can be done in the dark or blindfolded fairly easily so I don't understand the purpose. I am a proponent of being in motion to cover or already behind cover when reloading a SA.

This comes from the NRA publication Shooting Illustrated.
Thanks for posting,
Sheriffs always good to read.
Was actually a twofer on same concern. Usually read comments section if there is one. In that section is another revolver loading session video from someone else. Is pretty good:

Curious, why chest level for semi-auto ? Reloads can be done in the dark or blindfolded fairly easily so I don't understand the purpose. I am a proponent of being in motion to cover or already behind cover when reloading a SA.
We train our students to load, reload, clear, clear malfunctions, etc, in the area we call the "workspace", described as an area the size of a beachball in front of your face. The reason being, keep your eyes on your opponent, while still being able to see the gun for malfunctions with your peripheral vision. We also train our students to load and reload pistols or revolvers without looking at the gun so you can do it in the dark.

We train our students to load, reload, clear, clear malfunctions, etc, in the area we call the "workspace", described as an area the size of a beachball in front of your face. The reason being, keep your eyes on your opponent, while still being able to see the gun for malfunctions with your peripheral vision. We also train our students to load and reload pistols or revolvers without looking at the gun so you can do it in the dark.

Kinda makes sense. It also kinda makes sense though that holding something up in front of your face can impede your view. Especially when it's changing a magazine which even with no training at all you should be able to do fairly easily completely by feel. Possibly the current circumstances may direct your actions a little bit here. Is there an armed threat in your field of vision at a close enough distance to harm you, etc..

Pretty much all of the training I have done says that any time an armed threat is present outside of CQB distance you should be moving towards cover. I think having both my hands in front of my face in that situation is a liability. It's not like I am an authority on the subject, I'm just trying to understand and learn from you guys here who are.

Curious, why chest level for semi-auto ? Reloads can be done in the dark or blindfolded fairly easily so I don't understand the purpose.

Pretty simple really.. The motion of reloading a semi auto is forgiving enough to allow you to perform it at chest/aka pocket level. The idea is to make sure you dont fumble the reload and also support the idea of continued observation. With a revolver, the articulation is different and (for me) requires a slightly different angle and position. That difference in position is not substantial, just lower.

It doesnt really matter what someone can do in the dark or while blindfolded. Sure, its probably a good idea that reloading in the dark or without looking should probably not be something completely foreign but from a purely tactical and practical sense, the maneuver is important enough to get it right. I will briefly look or at least look intermittently if circumstances allow and if not, I will then rely on jedi skills or whatever you want to call reloading without looking. Like I said, it should not be foreign. Whether its reloading, clearing, or articulating the weapon.. being able to do it in the dark or other strained conditions is not a bad skill to have. Still, I would utilize that skill only to the degree that I must and rely on a more affirmative method whenever possible. I have seen plenty of people try and impress others with their tactical tango and actually flub a reload. Those are usually the people who get competition and real self defense/combat confused.

Its no different with my feelings on point shooting. I may have to do it and I do not want it to be something foreign to me. That said, I do not intend to shoot sans sights simply because I can. I will do so only when utilizing a traditional sight picture is not possible or not practical.

Plenty of people reload without looking, and thats fine. I wont try to talk them out of personal stylistic choices. Speaking for myself, I feel that reloading without looking might be skillful, artful or impressive but it doesnt mean its the best thing to attempt in the middle of a stressful and dangerous conflict.

I am a proponent of being in motion to cover or already behind cover when reloading a SA.

sure, but that does not mean that any of that is going to happen. I am a proponent of never being in a gunfight but I still carry a gun all the same. What I want may not be all that important to the badguy. Defenders tend to forget that they are likely the person with the least amount of control over the situation and almost always behind the curve. Going for cover is a great idea until its not. Sometimes you may just have to take a knee, go prone or simply stand and deliver.

Last edited:
So you are saying that from a tactical perspective averting your eyes from the threat to watch the magazine and handgun in front of you is good and that being able to manipulate the magazine release and stick a fresh mag in your pistol while keeping your eyes on the threat or on whatever is in front of you if you are moving to cover is showing off.

I disagree.

In my opinion, reload in a way that best suits you as the shooter, but be able to do it close in to your body and never take your eyes of your target

either one will ruin your day
1625417328051.jpeg
BDA36F3B-2858-4AB8-8F16-1FBEA872D49B.jpeg

When a topic comes up here, I try to share my experience for what it's worth, you are welcome to take it or leave it, my ego wore out about 30-40 years ago.

When I use a drill in training for combat, the purpose of the drill is to permanently imprint the neuromuscular memory to the extent that critical actions are automatic responses. Once the conflict erupts, adrenaline dumps, tunnel vision and auditory exclusion sets in, fine motor skills deteriorate, abstract thinking abilities fade, Murphy's law intervenes, and a host of other things happen that can degrade your ability to respond to the threat and stay in the fight. All in a matter of a few seconds. You are going to focus on the threat when hostilities begin, that is unavoidable. I personally want to keep track of my opponent as much as possible whether I am behind a rock or running for cover, which is why I teach people to load without looking at the gun. We know for certain that an officer will revert to what he or she did in training. This is not my opinion, numerous after action studies bear it out.

There are a number of ways to load and reload a pistol or revolver. The particular method being taught, within reason, is not nearly as important as the automatic response, as long as it works. Chances are you will never be in a gunfight, and if you are, chances are you will not need to reload. But if it happens, you need to get it right. I have seen enough students over the years stick magazines in backward, drop magazines or loose ammo in the dark, be unable to operate the gun's mechanism, drop the pistol, and a host of other problems that make me scratch my head. When the timer goes off it induces stress and if you don't have the skills you are at a disadvantage. Multiply that stress by a factor of X in real conflict. So, my philosophy is train for the fight with the things will be working when and if the time comes.

So you are saying that from a tactical perspective averting your eyes from the threat to watch the magazine and handgun in front of you is good and that being able to manipulate the magazine release and stick a fresh mag in your pistol while keeping your eyes on the threat or on whatever is in front of you if you are moving to cover is showing off.

I disagree.
I think you are misunderstanding a few things. Tactical is simply actions which are conducive to a particular tactic. If reloading my gun is what I am intending to do, I am simply saying that the most assured and affirmative methods is what I am considering a practical "tactic". I am not suggesting that a person completely avert their eyes for the duration or to ignore the threat. Briefly orienting what you are doing with the aid of visual acuity is what I personally consider prudent in most cases and is certainly not a foreign concept. Stress and certainly significant stress does all sorts of things to fine and gross motor functions. I have had the occasion to perform tasks while managing the effects of adrenalin and stress, which is what I base much of my opinion on. I will take a brief moment to help insure that my reload is not bumbled. I can reload in the dark, blindfolded or whatever but its a little different when something wicked is bearing down upon a person. I would rather take a fraction of a second to get it right than to risk bumbling it and have to try again. Eye - hand coordination and visual depth perception are powerful tools.

As far as showing off goes.. my point is that I have seen plenty of people seemingly exhibit the "look what I can do" or "showmanship" trait when people are watching but do sometime more benign and practical when they not being observed. There are plenty of people who are very concerned with being seen as average and strive to always be viewed as something special. This is what comes to mind when I see someone make a grandiose point regarding the performing of critical tasks without looking. It does not make it so but it is what comes to my mind. As I said previously, I consider it a good idea to be able to do it. Perhaps not expertly but to be able to manage the task in the dark or under obstructive conditions. I disagree with it being the primary method when circumstances allow for a more assured undertaking. That is just my personal belief.

As far as staring at the threat .. that sounds great but in reality, you will take your eyes off the threat plenty. We are, after all; talking about milliseconds. I am not saying that you will look off into space or stare at your shoes but a person will often self orient (especially during movement), survey the scene, track other movements, objects, people on approach, other dangers, innocent bystanders, background concerns, cross fire issues, potential avenues of escape and basically react intuitively to all sorts of stimuli during a confrontation. Its hardwired survival instincts in addition to what specialized training a person may have. If you were to add up all the milliseconds that a person will naturally avert their eyes from "the threat", it would likely be 100x longer than the brief moment it takes to look during a mag change. You dont see anyone identifying those moments, worrying about them or even trying to identify them (other than specialized training modules). Oh!! but dont look for a millisecond during a mag change LOL.

There are plenty of elements that can easily effect the outcome of a fight ( armed or not), the brief moment it takes to orient a mag change probably aint it.

Last edited:
I thought the article would generate some interest and debate. I was right!

I maintain the use of sights and good marksmanship most times obviates the necessity for reloading in the middle of a fight.
No matter how much ammunition has been expended, no matter how many rounds are left on-board, when safety has been established, a reload should be made in every case.
If the threat has been reduced to zero, keeping the assailant in one's peripheral view is all that is needed.
Of course, sweeping for the bad guy's possible buddies should also be kept up.

Then, thank the Lord you wore your brown pants that day!

If the threat has been reduced to zero, keeping the assailant in one's peripheral view is all that is needed.

What are you talking about specifically? If the threat is zero, why am I still milling around keeping people in my peripheral view? If I have the occasion to remove myself from the conflict zone, I probably will. Immediately

sweeping for the bad guy's possible buddies should also be kept up.

Sure, the possibility of a secondary combatant or additional danger could always be possible and should probably not be forgotten. Again, unless I am surveying the scene as I am leaving.. I am not sticking around to watch the badguy or wait around for his buddies to show up. A call to 911 and a rendezvous with authorities may be in order but standing around a hot scene is not what I plan to do.

No matter how much ammunition has been expended, no matter how many rounds are left on-board, when safety has been established, a reload should be made in every case.

Whether I reload on empty or tactically during an ongoing incident will depend on several factors not some arbitrary rule. In every case? No matter how many rounds are left? Nope, I do not share that sentiment.

My reload training is based on tactical no matter what firearm I’m shooting so I’m never with an empty chamber. During my mag drop and while reaching for a new one I bring my right foot back and pivot my body slightly to the right to create a smaller target. My eyes continue to remain on the threat while I bring my firearm close to my chest with the muzzle continuing to remain on target while I insert a new magazine, I train constantly for this to be a fluid motion.

Last edited:
What are you talking about specifically? If the threat is zero, why am I still milling around keeping people in my peripheral view? If I have the occasion to remove myself from the conflict zone, I probably will. Immediately

Sure, the possibility of a secondary combatant or additional danger could always be possible and should probably not be forgotten. Again, unless I am surveying the scene as I am leaving.. I am not sticking around to watch the badguy or wait around for his buddies to show up. A call to 911 and a rendezvous with authorities may be in order but standing around a hot scene is not what I plan to do.

Whether I reload on empty or tactically during an ongoing incident will depend on several factors not some arbitrary rule. In every case? No matter how many rounds are left? Nope, I do not share that sentiment.
I always want a full compliment of ammunition on board because part of my early training drilled in the concept of "Be Prepared"'
I do not want to be over whelmed by the remainder of the pack of hyenas while rendering first aid to myself or my target (assuming I won the initial engagement).
My moral training dictates that while I should have no qualms regarding the defense of myself , loved ones or the innocent, I have responsibility to save life whenever possible if it doesn't threaten my own safety, loved ones or the helpless innocent.

Making the call to authorities only comes into play as a first course of action should the attacker run away.
If my target is able to run away after a handgun battle and I have made substantial center mass hits, I was carrying too small a caliber (weak) weapon.
That too falls under the heading of "Be Prepared".
I believe folks who advocate carrying truckloads of ammunition on board and in spare magazines (i.e. ultra-high capacity) usually at the root, have little faith in:
1. their own marksmanship proficiency and/or
2. lack of faith in their choice of caliber and/or ammunition

In my opinion, for whatever that's worth, it is of little consequence to be able to make substantial hits and still have my antagonist able to continue to stay in the fight.

I hope this better explains my position.

Back