testtest

How To Shoot Prone With A Handgun

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
We tend to think of the prone position as being reserved for rifles, but it has applications for handguns as well.

1706644309311.png

View attachment 51595
100 yards. String of six plates in center were the targets
At my range we play a game like HORSE. Everybody starts with 10 rounds on them. Everybody shoots from the 25 and shoots until they get a hit on the 8" plate. Then move to 35 and repeat, then at 50, 75, and 100. When you hit you get to move back until you make a hit at 100 yards or run out of ammo. Most don't make it to 100. It is a good training drill and illustrates the capability of your handgun.

At my range we play a game like HORSE. Everybody starts with 10 rounds on them. Everybody shoots from the 25 and shoots until they get a hit on the 8" plate. Then move to 35 and repeat, then at 50, 75, and 100. When you hit you get to move back until you make a hit at 100 yards or run out of ammo. Most don't make it to 100. It is a good training drill and illustrates the capability of your handgun.
Buddies & I would do something similar, but with a 1gal water jug @100yds (or further).

Shots are taken unsupported, handguns only.

Each shot you take costs $20…you miss, you’re out. Ties at yardage pushes the jug 25yds out. If all shooters miss, it restarts (and costs another $20).

I’ve seen it go to 200yds a couple of times; I won that range once, using my Baer Custom Carry and 230gr Golden Saber handloads.

It’s fun.

Kinda.

In my early LEO training the course of fire included 6 rounds from the prone at 50 yards and I have done it at over 100. No prone for me nowadays, as it would take three big 'ol boys to get me back on my feet.
Hayes, I've been trying to remember whether the USAF handgun qualification course included prone. I don't specifically remember that it did but I might be wrong. I DO remember it was 60 rounds at 25 yards, on a Mil-E Silhouette target, and required 59 hits to score Expert. I remember it was all SA fire, required reloading on every stage, and involved shooting from standing, sitting, and kneeling, but I don't remember prone. I believe there was one stage weak-handed, shooting around a barricade. Do you remember shooting handgun prone in USAF?

Hayes, I've been trying to remember whether the USAF handgun qualification course included prone. I don't specifically remember that it did but I might be wrong. I DO remember it was 60 rounds at 25 yards, on a Mil-E Silhouette target, and required 59 hits to score Expert. I remember it was all SA fire, required reloading on every stage, and involved shooting from standing, sitting, and kneeling, but I don't remember prone. I believe there was one stage weak-handed, shooting around a barricade. Do you remember shooting handgun prone in USAF?
I did but it was the LE course and OSI course which was different from the AFQC

Sooo… being a non military service person, does basic training not teach you to shoot and kill?
Does that me LE military class teaches you to shoot not to kill ?🧐🧐🤪🤪

Just asking …😉
Basic USAF training includes basic AR training and the general population qualifies once a year. Only some career fields get pistol training. Most career fields are not armed all the time. That changes if you are deploying to a combat zone and everybody gets additional weapons training just before deployment.

Special warfare troops get a lot of weapons training.

Security Forces and OSI are always armed and are trained to LE standards. SF have base defense and outside the wire duties so they are trained on a wide range of personal and crew served weapons.

OSI agents are federal LEO's and are trained to LEO standards. They attend the academy at FLETC. They also do protective service ops and operate outside the wire in their counterintel mission in a war zone so they get additional weapons training with a variety of weapons.

BTW I don't think any LEO agencies shoot handgun at the 50 anymore. Most only shoot out to 15 yards for quals nowadays

Basic USAF training includes basic AR training and the general population qualifies once a year. Only some career fields get pistol training. Most career fields are not armed all the time. That changes if you are deploying to a combat zone and everybody gets additional weapons training just before deployment.
To add to the above: All personnel were required to qualify with either the M16 or S&W M15 (.38 Cal Combat Masterpiece with Target Hammer and Target Trigger) once a year. All shooting was done on Military E-Type silhouette targets (plain dark gray, no markings or scoring rings)--M16s at 100 yards, M15s at 25 yards. All pilots had to qualify with the M15 annually. I had a lot of fun with these sessions because my Dad was a pilot in my unit, and was friends with all the other pilots, and they enjoyed watching Dad (a Lt. Col) taking orders from his two-striper (later three, and then four stripes) son. Dad always seemed to be pleased with how professionally I did the training and ran the range.

I don't remember which weapon the non-flight-rated officers had to qualify with. I believe the rule was everyone had to qualify with the weapon that they would be armed with if we were deployed. I think I remember some "support" officers shooting the M16. Oh, the enlisted flight-rated personnel such as Loadmasters and Aeromed Techs (flight nurses) shot the S&W M15, as that's what they'd be armed with if we deployed.

Back