testtest

How to Speak to New Gun Owners

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Really good article on how to talk to new gun owners, with the way it is today, we need to keep and educate them so they will understand the freedom and safety of owning a firearm.

Thanks for the link, Anni. I have seen so many folks act like they know more than they actually do, then try to convince new gun owners or those looking for thier first gun what they should buy. Even those who actually are experts, should try to be humble (I know it is hard to be humble when you are perfect :)) when talking to those unfamiliar with guns.

I agree with everything in the article, except for the last part about telling new gun owners to join the NRA. There are multiple gun rights groups that I would recommend, but the NRA will not be on the list until they ditch WLP and every other executive who made getting rich their top priority.

Really good article on how to talk to new gun owners, with the way it is today, we need to keep and educate them so they will understand the freedom and safety of owning a firearm.

Really great article.

Very politically biased NRA article. Not everyone wants to join the NRA.

Very politically biased NRA article. Not everyone wants to join the NRA.
Probably because it was on the NRA website. :)

And I agree we need to make some management changes at the top, but the NRA is still the premier organization with the most clout, and most new gun owners would recognize the name. We (at least my opinion) sure don't need to drag new gun owners into the management argument.

I agree we need to make some management changes at the top, but the NRA is still the premier organization with the most clout, and most new gun owners would recognize the name. We (at least my opinion) sure don't need to drag new gun owners into the management argument.
I have been an NRA member for years. Even though I cannot continue to support them as long as the current executives are still in place, I would come running back if they got everything in order. I want to proudly support the NRA again. I just need the organization to do their part.

As far as new gun owners, they were obviously willing to embrace at least some aspect of the 2nd Amendment. The NRA has been so demonized by the media and pop culture that I can see it being a real turn-off to new gun owners to imply that they should now automatically affiliate with the NRA simply because they bought their first gun. There is a wide spectrum of life experiences and political beliefs among gun owners. I definitely don't want to create 7 million new Fudds, but I would prefer to ease people into the gun culture by emphasizing the many benefits of firearm ownership without immediately telling them that they need to completely change all of their political views.

I believe that allowing new owners to learn the importance of firearms for themselves, and giving them time to question their prejudices concerning guns, is the most effective way to introduce them to the culture. The media has spent years telling audiences that gun owners are some kind of cult. I believe that giving new owners the impression that they must now become hardcore 2A warriors, and immediately join political organizations they used to think were evil, could backfire if we aren't careful.

Back