testtest

How to Use Automotive Products for Firearm Maintenance

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Since many car and gun parts are made of metal and rub against other metal parts, there are some similarities in products designed to maintain both. It is wise, however, to read the instructions for either firearm or automobile, as well as any maintenance product, before swapping between the two.

How to Use Automotive Products for Firearm Maintenance

1642684795208.png

what the article says at the end...

"
In my opinion, if you are careful, read the warnings and fine print as well as use a bit of common sense, you will be fine in following the suggestions of your gunsmith.

However, if you want to be absolutely safe, I will leave you with the advice that I gave my students in the many armorer’s classes I taught over the years: If the product says it’s for guns, use it on guns, if it says it’s for rocket ships, use it on rocket ships. Above all, read and understand the instructions provided before using. Follow the instructions provided to experience the best results."

my feelings are and always have been,
gun products are FOR guns, and automotive products ARE for automotive uses

i too wrenched for a time before i got into trucking. the labels are very specific for use in the automotive sector.

i dare not try to use one industry's product as a substitute for my guns.

yes, vehicles cost more than any, maybe ANY gun the average gun buyer will own, but there ARE/WOULD BE, differences in the "recipes" of motor oil, grease, cleaners, waxes.

i NEVER mix, nor use vehicle care products for ANY of my guns.

i'd have one hell of a time, explaining to the warranty guy at the dealership, why i used CLP in my crankcase, and can't figure out why my engine blew up...!!!!!!

what the article says at the end...

my feelings are and always have been,
gun products are FOR guns, and automotive products ARE for automotive uses

i too wrenched for a time before i got into trucking. the labels are very specific for use in the automotive sector.

i dare not try to use one industry's product as a substitute for my guns.

yes, vehicles cost more than any, maybe ANY gun the average gun buyer will own, but there ARE/WOULD BE, differences in the "recipes" of motor oil, grease, cleaners, waxes.

i NEVER mix, nor use vehicle care products for ANY of my guns.

i'd have one hell of a time, explaining to the warranty guy at the dealership, why i used CLP in my crankcase, and can't figure out why my engine blew up...!!!!!!
I use Mobil 1 synthetic as a gun lube oil, have for years.

It was an open secret that one lube touted by a major competitor was just that (Mobil 1) in a smaller bottle for 10x the price…

There’s really no magic hoodoo in gun lubes…just a lot of marketing.

You may be surprised at how many “gun” oils are just relabled—and repriced higher—automotive lubricants.
actually, that would not surprise me. i been a big fan of Mobil 1 since they introduced it, when i worked at a Mobil gas station. the sales rep did a real net demonstration on how it handles the extreme heat (he used a propane torch) and the extreme cold, (he had dry ice). back then as i recall, it was very high priced at like about $1.75 a quart.....lol over the "usual" 10w 40 price of about 79¢

but dollar for dollar, i'll stick with what i been using.

i can appreciate what others do, by using automotive products, but it's just not my way of doing things.

same thing can be said for generic OTC meds, to name brand. the major companies rebadge the generic stuff,

or store brand peanut butter to name brand, which to me, Jiff is simply the very best..!!!!!!

Funny story here -- years ago working a Beech King Air, the wing bolts/tubs were due for inspection (NDI). We had recently lost our QA toad who was the only NDI authorized in the plant. Hired a dude from Atlanta to come do the inspection. He applied a spray paint stripper (greatest product I had seen till then) to the tubs. When he set the can down, I decided to check it out. The can showed an aircraft picture on the front of the can and the product was called aircraft Paint Stripper. Pretty cool until I read the back panel on the can and, in bold italicized print it stated, "not for use on aircraft". I mentioned it to him and he said, "A King Air is not an aircraft".

I know Seafoam is an excellent carbon remover. I’ve used it on AR BCG’s before. Put it on and let it soak for awhile then use an old toothbrush. Works pretty good. At $6-7 a pint it seems expensive to add to your gas tank but not so much as a gun cleaner.

Back