testtest

How to Zero a Rifle

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
So you just got a new rifle, quality optic, and a couple of boxes of the finest match ammo, there are a few steps that you need to take.

The first step, zeroing the rifle. What is zeroing? Zeroing is when you align the point of aim (where the reticle of the sighting system is pointed) with the point of impact (where the projectile impacts the target).

How To Zero a Rifle

1656114743932.png

Bonus

Good fundamentals for sure. An easier and quicker was on measuring the moa in just measure from outside to inside the group. Then you don't need to subtract the bullet diameter. I'll have to try how the bottom vid suggested.

I recently got into a "discussion" with a youth (19yo) who was arguing with me about zeroing an 5.56 AR platform with standard height sights. In my attempt to explain that if you zero at 25 yards, you are also close-to-zero at 300 yards (also when zeroed at 50 yards you are close to zero at 200 yards), he would NOT grasp the concept and said I was crazy. He swore on his mother's honor that if the AR is zeroed at 25 yards, the POI at 100 yards is lower. He had no grasping of sight height over bore and projectile arcs. This kid has a lot of trigger time too....his dad is a collector of some some pretty cool M1's and pistols from years' past that he shoots regularly...oh well.

I recently got into a "discussion" with a youth (19yo) who was arguing with me about zeroing an 5.56 AR platform with standard height sights. In my attempt to explain that if you zero at 25 yards, you are also close-to-zero at 300 yards (also when zeroed at 50 yards you are close to zero at 200 yards), he would NOT grasp the concept and said I was crazy. He swore on his mother's honor that if the AR is zeroed at 25 yards, the POI at 100 yards is lower. He had no grasping of sight height over bore and projectile arcs. This kid has a lot of trigger time too....his dad is a collector of some some pretty cool M1's and pistols from years' past that he shoots regularly...oh well.
Based on velocity and bullet weight it can be done as you stated. Iron sights and optics included. The 300 could be 250ish. A good demonstration for him is in order.

Back