testtest

Huey Hogs: The World’s First Helicopter Gunship

I was in VN with the 101st Airborne when they stood down to go home in early 1972. I got transferred to the 162nd Assault Helicopter Co. of the First Aviation Brigade in Can Tho. They were still flying the Huey gunships, supposedly the last unit in VN to do so, as well as UH-1H slicks. Although I didn't have the MOS, I flew as a door-gunner in the slicks for a few months till that unit also returned to the States. Some days I got to fire thousands of rounds of free ammo, full auto, all while sitting on my butt. That was the high point of my life. I still miss it.

Truly, the helicoptor has probably had more impact on modern Warfare than any other aircraft or vehicle designed in comparison From Medevac to Transport, Recovery and Rapid Resupply to Weapons Delivery Platform it's performed exceptionally in every role chosen for it. 'Nam was over by the time I graduated High School, but one older cousin served as a Door Gunner on a Huey, and the stories of missions he flew on are still fascinating to hear.
Thank you for a good article to read Dr. Dobbs. I enjoyed it.

I did my mechanics schooling at Fort Rucker, in 73". My MOS was 67N2F. I can't remember if that 2 i the right number, but I think so. All I know is if my aircraft went on a mission so did I. No questions asked. All I ever got was is this yours, yes sir, ready to fly, yes sir, kick the tires and light the fires, we were off. And it better be ready the next day.

This ship was on call in the Quan Loi base camp. Love those hueys!
That looks like a "Charlie model" gunship and those mini-guns were severely bad-ass!
I rode in the back of those gravity defying things all over Southeast Asia. They scared the crap out of us but we did it anyway.
I know what you mean, HayesGreer, as they scared the crap out of me! Here's a pic I took in '69 when we were inserted into a hot LZ:
Air%20Assault%2C%20C%202-28.jpg

I took another pic of a AH-1 Cobra on a gun run. I was trying to get the 7;62 sell casings falling out of that thing but wasn't successful:
Rebel%20Cobra100-X5.jpg

It's still not a bad pic, though.

Mike

That looks like a "Charlie model" gunship and those mini-guns were severely bad-ass!

I know what you mean, HayesGreer, as they scared the crap out of me! Here's a pic I took in '69 when we were inserted into a hot LZ:

I took another pic of a AH-1 Cobra on a gun run. I was trying to get the 7;62 sell casings falling out of that thing but wasn't successful:
Rebel%20Cobra100-X5.jpg

Mike
Due to the snowflakes on here the helo pic might be taken down for the Confederate flag being shown.

Rebel%20Cobra100-X5.jpg

Mike
Love some M60!

Due to the snowflakes on here the helo pic might be taken down for the Confederate flag being shown.
Well, that won't be the worst thing that ever happened. That AH-1 was flown by a 1st Aviation unit out of Phu Loi and they were nicknamed, "The Rebels." I flew a few missions with them in Charlie models as a combat photographer. The former Confederate Air Force (now the Commemorative Air Force) made all the pilots honorary colonels and they were really proud of that. It was a good unit and I'm sure they saved a lot of lives.

Mike

I was in VN with the 101st Airborne when they stood down to go home in early 1972. I got transferred to the 162nd Assault Helicopter Co. of the First Aviation Brigade in Can Tho. They were still flying the Huey gunships, supposedly the last unit in VN to do so, as well as UH-1H slicks. Although I didn't have the MOS, I flew as a door-gunner in the slicks for a few months till that unit also returned to the States. Some days I got to fire thousands of rounds of free ammo, full auto, all while sitting on my butt. That was the high point of my life. I still miss it.
Thank you for your service.

I have 2500 hours flying the H model slick. It’s my all-time favorite helicopter. Retired army here.

Attended Flight School late 1965 and mid 1966, we flew the B model gunships as a part of our training learning and qualifying in several systems. My unit the 187th ASH deployed to RVN early 1967 with C model gunships, one of the first companies to fly the C model. Our sister companies were still flying B models then but most units coming in country were equipped with C models until early 1968 when the Cobras started to come in country. The C models were equipped with the L11 engines while the Mike model had the L13 engines, essentially the same aircraft and just like the difference between the D and H models, D’S had L11’s and the H model had the L13, so once the engines were changed to the newer L13’s we changed the model designation in the historical records of the aircraft. originally we only called the rocket and 40mm equipped aircraft HOGS.

Back