testtest

Hurricane preps?

Sld1959

Hellcat
Living in Michigan it's almost hard to imagine the force/duration of a hurricane. We have tornados, and blizzards but I think the hurricane has to be the single greatest weather force of nature.

Any users here in the hurricane zones? What special preps do you make for them.

At least with a hurricane forecast one has enough time to prep the house, then get the hell out of dodge, if one desires to do so. In tornado country they just drop down on you with little to no warning, sometimes.
True enough but the overall size of the area effected is normally very small compared to the hurricane. Tornadoes are terrible forces of nature, but small compared to the hurricane. I have seen what they can do first hand, twice in the past.

But, the idea of the post was not to compare disasters, but to ask about hurricane preps.

I central Virginia we rarely take a direct hit. But should what's left of a hurricane going inland then we will have 75mph+ winds and heavy rain. Lots of trees fall over, and power can be lost for days. Several inches of rain can cause severe flooding and the storm system itself can spawn tornados. If you live in an area that is flood prone you can seal-a-meal your handguns or seal them in zip lock bags and put them in a Tupperware type container that will float should you get water in your house.

Living in Michigan it's almost hard to imagine the force/duration of a hurricane. We have tornados, and blizzards but I think the hurricane has to be the single greatest weather force of nature.

Any users here in the hurricane zones? What special preps do you make for them.
Im in NC and yeah, we get hit bad sometimes. Not often as bad as the Gulf’s though.
Im far enough inland that it usually dissipates to a real bad storm. ⛈
Preps ( in the sense u mean) not really necessary, I feel.

by the way, the most destructive force has to be a Tidal Wave. U talkin’ to him, man!
(seriously, tidal & ocean water is the worst)

We are right in hurricane alley, but at high elevation and 25 miles from the shore so wind is our biggest threat. Hurricane prep is always on our minds. In my police department years ago I attended the Governor's Hurricane Conference every year and watched all the slide shows that showed what failed in buildings in hurricanes. A lot of damage is preventable with proper construction methods and materials.

We had 135mph winds during Hurricane Ivan and Hurricane Dennis and lost more trees on the property than I can count. Following Ivan we had no power for more than 3 weeks so the generator and a big reserve tank are essential to us. We have a 40kw whole house diesel generator that powers all our buildings, our house is structurally fortified with steel all around, we have impact resistant windows upstairs, and metal and plexiglass shutters downstairs, and a fortified strong room. In the office we put computers and printers in plastic bags in case we get water inside. We pick up anything that might go airborne, stock up on 3 days of essentials, and make sure we have fuel and oil on hand for the chainsaws. We refuel the tractor and our vehicles and shelter in place and when it's over go outside and see what is left.

True enough but the overall size of the area effected is normally very small compared to the hurricane. Tornadoes are terrible forces of nature, but small compared to the hurricane. I have seen what they can do first hand, twice in the past.

But, the idea of the post was not to compare disasters, but to ask about hurricane preps.
My preps as I posted above:

"...prep the house, then get the hell out of dodge,"
😉

How about back in the early 80's aboard my last ship, we were in the Pax River (MD) "doing some stuff", and a hurricane warning was issued for the area. The ship quit doing the stuff we were doing, and we went somewhere closeby and they literally backed the ship down a channel, dropped anchor, and stayed there overnight to ride the storm out. We would have never rode it out at sea very well, as we weren't that big. Next day we went back to "doing stuff".

Last edited:
Our Sheriff has issued a trespass warning for the county for Jim Cantori (in jest)
1625264056960.png

I central Virginia we rarely take a direct hit. But should what's left of a hurricane going inland then we will have 75mph+ winds and heavy rain. Lots of trees fall over, and power can be lost for days. Several inches of rain can cause severe flooding and the storm system itself can spawn tornados. If you live in an area that is flood prone you can seal-a-meal your handguns or seal them in zip lock bags and put them in a Tupperware type container that will float should you get water in your house.
Yeah that is kind of what I was curious about. You see people boarding up on the weather Channel and things like that. Was curious how many do similar things

I grew up on the coast in the Northeast and we get hit with Hurricanes occasionally though most of the time when the hurricane makes it up this far it's mostly expelled it's energy so I haven't seen anything too crazy in my life except for maybe some down trees and minor house damage.

Typically when expecting a hurricane on the coast most people will remove any lawn furniture, flags, or other items that can become a missile and cause furth. Working in construction I've had to board up a few houses windows and doors if they are in a certain distance to the ocean in preparation for a hurricane.

I've seen the after effects of hurricane Sandy in 2012 in NY when I went down from Massachusetts to long Island a day after Sandy hit to deliver supplies to my boss at the times friends and the damage & flooding was insane.

Most of Massachusetts got hit with a tropical storm level winds and minor flooding from Sandy

Have been through a few of each. Has been awhile on either for us though. Usually have time to prep for hurricanes to secure, relocate items or fasten down things. About same prep as mentioned by others above. Some people depending on elevation, sandbag doors and other areas to divert possible flood waters. Can get a lot of flood water quick.

Generally and normally when can, store more perishable items higher up on shelving year round because of possible water damage. Place essential doc's, papers and other more perishable items in more water and vermin proof transportable storage containers, even ziplock bags if nothing else. On hard to replace doc's, papers and other things, is good to have them sealed in more transportable containers to take with when evacuating. - Evacuations are usually mandatory especially around coastal areas, keys, reefs and islands. Advance prep for major exodus delays helps with hurricanes. Extra battery powered items like radios, flashlights and spare batteries for them. Sterno or other cooking, heating equipment helps having on hand too. Expect delays and outages just prior to, during and after hurricanes. Remember and be aware of animals, reptiles, vermin, snakes and insects can swim and float too, usually seek higher ground just as people do. Prepare for home or much of it not being there to go back to as before. "Home" after hurricanes and storms can take on new meanings.

HayesGreener, another problem for us that live up the East Coast is by the time it dawns on us that one may need emergency supplies, Lowes and Home Deposit have boxed them up, and they're in the back of a semi being shipped south.

HayesGreener, another problem for us that live up the East Coast is by the time it dawns on us that one may need emergency supplies, Lowes and Home Deposit have boxed them up, and they're in the back of a semi being shipped south.
Know the feeling on both ends. Having plywood and OSB shipped down south about every year because of storms is a pain for everyone concerned but the suppliers. Real, working storm and security shutters for both doors and windows could help solve at least half of the headaches on either coast and end?

The first Hurricane that I experienced was Camille when it's remnants moved east over the Appalachians and hammered Richmond VA. Forecasting wasn't the best back then, Camille surprised millions of people.

camille_1969_map.gif

My take on Tropical storms: Get out of the way if it's stronger than a Cat 3, and expect the unexpected.

Know the feeling on both ends. Having plywood and OSB shipped down south about every year because of storms is a pain for everyone concerned but the suppliers. Real, working storm and security shutters for both doors and windows could help solve at least half of the headaches on either coast and end?
I bought a trailer load of plywood when Ivan was coming in 2004 and boarded up my windows and doors. I labeled everything and the studs were still there a year later when Dennis came so it was just a matter of lining up the holes and putting the wingnuts on.

When a hurricane is coming Home Depot and Lowes are a circus. Trying to find plywood, gas cans, and portable generators is a treasure hunt. We finally decided it was silly doing all that plywood when we could get shutter panels and ballistic windows. I built a couple storage boxes that double as seating on the back porch to store my shutters. It will take less than an hour to put them up.

A lot of new homes here come with shutters and generators as standard or optional items rolled into the cost of the house. A lot of folks don't realize how little those portable generators can power-maybe your refrigerator and a TV, and do not realize you might lose power for weeks. During the hottest season of the year. If I were building a new home, I would install rollup shutters and would never be without a whole house generator again.

Some communities have programs that cost share with homeowners to strengthen homes against hurricanes. Things like epoxy gluing roof sheathing to the top chord of trusses from inside the attic, nailing steel hurricane ties and straps to connect the roof to the foundation, shutters, storm proof doors and windows, and re-roofing substandard roofs. Insurance discounts can be substantial.

I bought a trailer load of plywood when Ivan was coming in 2004 and boarded up my windows and doors. I labeled everything and the studs were still there a year later when Dennis came so it was just a matter of lining up the holes and putting the wingnuts on.

When a hurricane is coming Home Depot and Lowes are a circus. Trying to find plywood, gas cans, and portable generators is a treasure hunt. We finally decided it was silly doing all that plywood when we could get shutter panels and ballistic windows. I built a couple storage boxes that double as seating on the back porch to store my shutters. It will take less than an hour to put them up.

A lot of new homes here come with shutters and generators as standard or optional items rolled into the cost of the house. A lot of folks don't realize how little those portable generators can power-maybe your refrigerator and a TV, and do not realize you might lose power for weeks. During the hottest season of the year. If I were building a new home, I would install rollup shutters and would never be without a whole house generator again.

Some communities have programs that cost share with homeowners to strengthen homes against hurricanes. Things like epoxy gluing roof sheathing to the top chord of trusses from inside the attic, nailing steel hurricane ties and straps to connect the roof to the foundation, shutters, storm proof doors and windows, and re-roofing substandard roofs. Insurance discounts can be substantial.
Definitely step in right direction. (y)(y)

The first Hurricane that I experienced was Camille when it's remnants moved east over the Appalachians and hammered Richmond VA. Forecasting wasn't the best back then, Camille surprised millions of people.

View attachment 18756

My take on Tropical storms: Get out of the way if it's stronger than a Cat 3, and expect the unexpected.
My mother's aunt and uncle lived in Schuyler, Va, located in Nelson Co. Luckily they slept through the rainstorm and we're aware until the next morning of the devastation. My uncle, who worked for the Alberene Stone Company as a blacksmith, drove down to the quarry where he worked and couldn't get there because the road had been washed away as well as most of the structures on either side of the Rockfish River where the company was located.

1625333755596.jpeg

Here's a brief history for anyone who is interested:
Hurricane Camille: Inside Virginia’s deadliest natural disaster - The Washington Post

Back