testtest

I always knew it happens....... just never realized how much certain guns are/were passed around !!!!

jumpinjoe

Professional
I just read a really enlightening story about one particular hand gun that was passed around from one bad guy to another and used in so many shootings so many times I lost count. The real 'eye opener' of the story is that this very thing happens many, many times with many, many guns every single day. To me this very fact seems to itself offer a very good argument (just one of many good arguments) against the efficiency of most any so-called back ground checks. I also saw a documentary a few days ago about how a certain gang used a central hideaway spot for their arsenal that all the bad guys knew the location of, and would simply go to that 'hide' sight and pick out the gun they wanted to use for their 'activity of the moment', use the gun, then return it to the hide sight for the next time one of the gang needed one. Since the thinking individuals of the country recognize BG checks are far, far more an infringement on good guys than the bad guys, why are this and similar examples not used to end them.

A BG check can potentially stop a criminal, crazy, or druggie from buying 'that one' particular gun on 'that one' particular instance if, and only if, the disqualifying info on 'that one' particular buyer is actually added/entered into the NICS BG system. But in light of the many who get past this BG check system or never are bothered to submit to it, yet obtain a gun through one method or another, how is it that our elected representatives can't/won't see that and protect the 2nd amendment rights of the good citizens of this country? And those who clamber for "Universal" BG checks will only infringe further on those rights. Remember, 'Universal' BG checks mean you and/or I will have to provide a BG check on our sons, daughters, fathers, grandfathers, etc, etc, etc to simply gift them one of our favorite deer rifles, or target plinkers. Likewise if any of those mentioned want to gift one of their's to one of us, they will have to provide a BG check on "US". Personally I can't think of a more fruitless or useless, or a more contradictory circumstance to our constitution than either of these examples.

So, I'm respectfully suggesting that in every opportunity available to us, the lawful, responsible firearms owner's submit these types of examples to every elected representative at every opportunity. Maybe, just maybe at some point enough of them will recognize that we, the good guys are not the problem of violence with use of a gun. In the meantime take a few minutes to read the article at this link and think about just how many times these situations occur each and every day in certain areas of the country.

Link:

The only plus i can see to Universal Bg Checks.. Is it might prevent a law abiding gun owner from inadvertently selling one of their guns to a person who shouldn't have one. I have sold a few of my guns to people at gun shows. I check their ID to make sure they are an Ohio resident, but other than that..i know nothing about them. That was many yrs ago, and i wouldn't do that now. Any guns i sell now, i sell to a gun shop and take the $$ hit. So i don't have to worry about it.

The anti 2A crowd knows Universal background check laws are not enforceable unless all guns are registered. Registration is what they really want, It's the old "slight of hand"..."hey...look over here".. lol.
And that is exactly the argument they will use to justify that 'gun registry' if they ever get the OK to mandate the 'Universal' BG check. Far, far more people are accepting of the "Universal" BG check and are far more likely to OK them than those in favor of a national registry.

Unfortunately most don't equate the two as being mutually required.

The only plus i can see to Universal Bg Checks.. Is it might prevent a law abiding gun owner from inadvertently selling one of their guns to a person who shouldn't have one. I have sold a few of my guns to people at gun shows. I check their ID to make sure they are an Ohio resident, but other than that..i know nothing about them. That was many yrs ago, and i wouldn't do that now. Any guns i sell now, i sell to a gun shop and take the $$ hit. So i don't have to worry about it.
With all due respect, it is already a violation of federal law to transfer a firearm to a person you knew, or that you should have known to be ineligible to own one. Unfortunately many people simply don't give a damn and sell to the highest offer assuming they won't be caught.

Glad you finally saw the light son, welcome to the responsible side.

Anti gunners want ALL guns removed from society. Thus the OP example would just give the anti’s proof to say ALL guns must be taken away so it doesnt happen of them being passed around
True 'anti-gunners' will never be swayed by any argument, viable or not. It's those non-gunners, and those in between that we need to convince of the difference.

BobM or Bassbob - heck I can’t recall who - once suggested having a driver’s license indication of “FI” meaning Firearms Ineligible for anyone who cannot buy or possess a firearm. The reason could be felony, spouse abuse, adjudicated mental illness reasons, whatever… Nobody need know why, just that LGS or you CANNOT sell, give or loan them a firearm !
Details of implementation aside, that is about the most practical solution I’ve seen - and one that doesn’t make u or me “prove our innocence” before exercising our basic right.

It's by far the majority of the times guns used in criminal activities come from stolen guns, or from a hide/stash as we've talked about regardless of it's origin, and only occasionally one gets there from a bogus private sale. But even one bogus sale gives us all a bad name ........... that was kinda' my point. (y)(y)(y)

I've said before and am proud of it that over more than 70 yrs that I've been handling/owning guns of many varieties, and out of probably several dozen I've sold in that time, I've not sold even one to anyone whom I didn't know personally as a law abiding, responsible gun owner. Not implying anyone who has done differently is bad, only that I'm proud of my stats since I often preach the concept to others.

Guns don’t fall into the hands of criminals because and gun owner sells to a shady individual. 99 out of 100 times they are stolen. Background checks or lack of won’t change that.
Stolen, or straw purchase.. Felons, gang members, etc cant pass a NICS check. So they have their "babys momma" who has no record buy guns for them and their pals. Grind off the serial #s, and it can't be traced back to her.

BobM or Bassbob - heck I can’t recall who - once suggested having a driver’s license indication of “FI” meaning Firearms Ineligible for anyone who cannot buy or possess a firearm. The reason could be felony, spouse abuse, adjudicated mental illness reasons, whatever… Nobody need know why, just that LGS or you CANNOT sell, give or loan them a firearm !
Details of implementation aside, that is about the most practical solution I’ve seen - and one that doesn’t make u or me “prove our innocence” before exercising our basic right.

That would not have been Bassbob. Bassbob says never sell guns to people you don't know personally.

That would not have been Bassbob. Bassbob says never sell guns to people you don't know personally.
Aha! That makes BobM the perp !

Nah, I don’t remember who it was, but it was a dang good idea…

I agree with you about selling only to those you know or can vouch for. I’ve rarely sold anything at all, and only twice to strangers. Both were in the early 1990s before sellers had got much drawn into the issue of liability.

Anti gunners want ALL guns removed from society. Thus the OP example would just give the anti’s proof to say ALL guns must be taken away so it doesnt happen of them being passed around
Yes Killer all except the ones their hired security carry. And it will always be true that when they outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns. Similar to how prohibition worked.

Back