testtest

I Have A Big Decision To Make

Sunday was a great day weather wise so I got up early and my lady were off to the outdoor range with my M1A
It had been over a year since I shot that beast due to my shoulder surgery and I was excited, unfortunately that excitement turned to severe pain in my right shoulder very quickly so I got about 50 rounds through it.
Even though my surgery was on my left shoulder my right shoulder had been very sore which I contributed to using my right arm more, this was not that.
I have a doctors appointment on Tuesday next week to talk about things, I’m hoping I can maybe get a cortisone shot to calm things down and try again in a couple weeks.

Update to come.

Unfortunately getting a shot might help but... i think using that rifle might have to come to an end. I myself have a bad shoulder and has ruined my joy of shooting rifles. Anything over 5.56 and i pay severely for it the few days after the range visit. Sometimes even the AR gets me so I purchased a Springfield edge and it has a muzzle break. It's loud but it saves my shoulder. My shoulder was injured by a AK round and lousy surgery by the military. Took shots for years but cortisone is not really good for your body. I hope the pain goes away and hopefully doctor will have an answer for you. Also i should mention all the recoil pads on the market really didn't help me.

Unfortunately getting a shot might help but... i think using that rifle might have to come to an end. I myself have a bad shoulder and has ruined my joy of shooting rifles. Anything over 5.56 and i pay severely for it the few days after the range visit. Sometimes even the AR gets me so I purchased a Springfield edge and it has a muzzle break. It's loud but it saves my shoulder. My shoulder was injured by a AK round and lousy surgery by the military. Took shots for years but cortisone is not really good for your body. I hope the pain goes away and hopefully doctor will have an answer for you. Also i should mention all the recoil pads on the market really didn't help me.
I already have a slip on thick soft rubber butt pad installed on the rifle, I’m going to look for a shoulder pad that doesn’t cost to much.

This is bone on bone pain not tendons so I’m worried this is arthritis.
Probably end up with a MRI
Sorry to hear that am well familiar with arthritis. Two hip replacements and completely changing handgun inventory due to it in my thumbs on the advice of my Dr friend makes it an old adversary.

Yeah, you just might be making some hard choices. Will keep you in our prayers.

Last edited:
Steroid shots are usually worthless, especially when the doc hits the bone :poop: :poop: :poop: 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 . This is a very soft shooting 308. Recoil is seriously at or less than a 556.

Attachments

• 20230221_181212.jpg
    20230221_181212.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
Sunday was a great day weather wise so I got up early and my lady were off to the outdoor range with my M1A
It had been over a year since I shot that beast due to my shoulder surgery and I was excited, unfortunately that excitement turned to severe pain in my right shoulder very quickly so I got about 50 rounds through it.
Even though my surgery was on my left shoulder my right shoulder had been very sore which I contributed to using my right arm more, this was not that.
I have a doctors appointment on Tuesday next week to talk about things, I’m hoping I can maybe get a cortisone shot to calm things down and try again in a couple weeks.

Update to come.
True story, back when my dad was in WWII, he was training and qualifying with his Garand, when nobody was looking, he stuck a couple of empty magazine pouches from his .45 under his shirt on the shoulder he was using the rifle on, qualified, but the drill instructor knew what he did and told him, let’s see how you do without your little padding, made him shoot about a hundred rounds and then…… let him qualify…..

Steroid shots are usually worthless, especially when the doc hits the bone :poop: :poop: :poop: 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 . This is a very soft shooting 308. Recoil is seriously at or less than a 556.
I beg to differ, my M1A with M80 knocks significantly harder than my 5.56 shooting either NATO or .223 cartridges. It is soft compared to almost any other .308, however. And M80 is a light(er) .308 load.

Next thing you know they will make a gauge you put on your shoulder or in your sled that measures recoil...another toy for us to buy. Probably already exists!

I beg to differ, my M1A with M80 knocks significantly harder than my 5.56 shooting either NATO or .223 cartridges. It is soft compared to almost any other .308, however. And M80 is a light(er) .308 load.

Next thing you know they will make a gauge you put on your shoulder or in your sled that measures recoil...another toy for us to buy. Probably already exists!
The 1 in the pic truly is a soft shooter compared to the other ar10 in 308 I have, even the heavier 1's.

Update to come.
I am not aware of anything that can be done internally with the M1A like we can do to the AR308, but the best pad that I know is:
Pachmayr's
F325 DELUXE SHOTGUN & RIFLE PAD

Works well with 308/6.5CM.
Zel Custom adapted a F325 to Magpul's PRS and it worked very well.
zel custom.jpg

1677035623315.gif

Last edited:

Update to come.
Really hate to hear that, hopefully they can get you fixed up.

I am not aware of anything that can be done internally with the M1A like we can do to the AR308, but the best pad that I know is:
Pachmayr's
F325 DELUXE SHOTGUN & RIFLE PAD

Works well with 308/6.5CM.
Zel Custom adapted a F325 to Magpul's PRS and it worked very well.
View attachment 36956

View attachment 36952
The design of the stock butt plate won’t allow something like that to be installed, I have a pad that slips on that’s just as thick. Didn’t help.

Back