testtest

I Pulled The Trigger.

They had three other M1A rifles, one California complaint wood stock with no flash hider which I found strange being in Kentucky and two with black synthetic stocks, the one I bought caught my eye yesterday immediately and half expected it to be gone today. I got to the range store 15 minutes after they opened and was on my way home in 30 minutes. 😁😎😊
You should of just stayed at the range for a few rounds 🤣

You should of just stayed at the range for a few rounds 🤣
I never shoot a new firearm until I read the owners manual completely, usually 2-3 times and also clean and lube the gun. The other information supplied by Springfield I find to be outstanding.
03397354-FFAC-4F46-B66D-D608B769529C.jpeg

3C8D3430-207F-42FE-B8E5-D8EA241E5931.jpeg

B222EC32-F9E4-4F95-9CD1-2CBBA081D051.jpeg

I never shoot a new firearm until I read the owners manual completely, usually 2-3 times and also clean and lube the gun. The other information supplied by Springfield I find to be outstanding. View attachment 20255
View attachment 20256
View attachment 20257
You sound like me, I always tear them apart and clean them, then function check everything a bunch times (a.k.a. play with new toy).

I once went early in the morning to buy a gun on sale at a store 2 hours away. I had the whole day to myself so I brought my handgun cleaning supplies along. I stopped at the range on the way home. I sat at a picnic table, under a nice shade tree, spread out a nice big old towel and proceeded to clean the handgun with the manual up on my tablet. I of course had already read the manual 10 times the night before lol. It was a good day.

Have fun shooting the new toy and dressing it up with many accessories lol.

Following my documented concern with what I saw as being an ongoing issue with the BCG in my Savage MSR10 Hunter AR Chambered in .308 I’ve been contemplating selling it. Yesterday I stopped by the outdoor range which has a fantastic store, I was looking for a Springfield XD-M in 10mm unfortunately that was not available but what they did have was something I had been looking at for months. There on the long gun shelf was a beautiful rifle chambered in .308 and sported a beautiful walnut stock, yes I’m dragging this out and yes I brought it home. I had to go back today and took my Savage AR all the PMags and case. And they gave me a great price for everything so I walked out with my new rifle for slightly over $500.00 dollars.

View attachment 20246
View attachment 20247

View attachment 20248
That is a gorgeous rifle. That exact model is what I was going to buy if I sold my SV (If I can find one). Looks even nicer in a real picture. Congrats, I hope it treats you well.

You sound like me, I always tear them apart and clean them, then function check everything a bunch times (a.k.a. play with new toy).

I once went early in the morning to buy a gun on sale at a store 2 hours away. I had the whole day to myself so I brought my handgun cleaning supplies along. I stopped at the range on the way home. I sat at a picnic table, under a nice shade tree, spread out a nice big old towel and proceeded to clean the handgun with the manual up on my tablet. I of course had already read the manual 10 times the night before lol. It was a good day.

Have fun shooting the new toy and dressing it up with many accessories lol.
I’ve never bought and shot a rifle which until today’s purchase has always been an AR without putting an optic “scope” on it first, my plan with the M1A is to take it to the range and take it out to 100 and 200 yards using the iron sights and see how it shoots before I think about an optic. This rifle is so beautiful if I’m comfortable shooting it as is then I won’t clutter it up with add on accessories.

Last edited:
I’ve never bought and shot a rifle which until today’s purchase has always been an AR without putting an optic “scope” on it first, my plan with the M1A is to take it to the range and take it out to 100 and 200 yards using the iron sights and see how it shoots before I think about an optic.
I don't think I owned a scoped rifle until I was well into my 20s. I killed more deer than I can remember with an 1894 using irons.

I’ve never bought and shot a rifle which until today’s purchase has always been an AR without putting an optic “scope” on it first, my plan with the M1A is to take it to the range and take it out to 100 and 200 yards using the iron sights and see how it shoots before I think about an optic.
Hmmm, I always clean first and then shoot it as it is out of the box before adding anything to it. On my recent SA AR-10 purchase I had the new Riton scope 3+ weeks before the rifle arrived but let it wait until I was satisfied with the rifle before adding it on.

I only went to 50 yds with the open sights though, I need to visit the eye doctor again, ugh. My right eye has gotten a little blurry.

Hmmm, I always clean first and then shoot it as it is out of the box before adding anything to it. On my recent SA AR-10 purchase I had the new Riton scope 3+ weeks before the rifle arrived but let it wait until I was satisfied with the rifle before adding it on.

I only went to 50 yds with the open sights though, I need to visit the eye doctor again, ugh. My right eye has gotten a little blurry.
I assume your AR-10 came with BUIS on it already ? None of my AR type rifles came with any sights at all. HArd to shoot them that way, though I did function test the ones I built "Blind" before adding sights.

I assume your AR-10 came with BUIS on it already ? None of my AR type rifles came with any sights at all. HArd to shoot them that way, though I did function test the ones I built "Blind" before adding sights.
All the AR’s I’ve purchased came with iron sights except the two Savage AR10 Hunters, one was the 6.5 which was sold first, the .308 was traded in today,
I had to put a scope on both before I could shoot them, both had BCG issues.
From now on I’m sticking with Springfield Armory products.

@Annihilator according to the owners manual it says to focus regular cleaning on the barrel and chamber which is done with the rifle fully assembled.
It really doesn’t go into detail about other areas of the gun.
I would love to hear from other M1A owners on what they clean, how often and how they perform the cleaning without compromising areas of the action that shouldn’t be subjected to a lot of solvents and oil.

Yep, the SA Victor .308 comes with the "Low Profile Spring-Loaded Adjustable Flip-Up sights", both front and rear. They work pretty good, even with my right eye being a little blurry right now.

I can imagine it's a little tough to aim without sights. Just aim for the middle of the big dirt backstop lol.

LmkI've only bought one off the shelf AR and it didn't come with sights. The rest I put together myself.
You should try the sights once in a while. I have them coexist with a red dot on my Ruger AR-556. Got a new red dot on a warranty exchange, mounted it and sighted it in in my basement off the open sights. At the range I had to touch both adjustments just 1 click each. Worked great!

Plus they can be fun to shoot with also.

You should try the sights once in a while. I have them coexist with a red dot on my Ruger AR-556. Got a new red dot on a warranty exchange, mounted it and sighted it in in my basement off the open sights. At the range I had to touch both adjustments just 1 click each. Worked great!

Plus they can be fun to shoot with also.
All mine have either Feyachi or Magpul flip ups and Romeo 5s. And all co-witness absolutely. I zero them all separately, red dot first.

So I’ve done a lot of research on my new M1A concerning cleaning, disassembly (haven’t taken it down yet)
And assembly. There was one thing that I couldn’t find any information on and although some of the videos I watched showed it not all did.
0D303FF6-A93A-4150-BE4D-47FBBE42318A.jpeg

There is this, one on each side of the stock in the same area. I did notice that all of the information on the gun keeps referring to a “new” walnut stock so I decided to call Springfield CS I was impressed the call was answered immediately, no hold time. What I found out was these are special screws holding a metal liner that is now being installed into the stock where the action sits to help strengthen the stock.

So I’ve done a lot of research on my new M1A concerning cleaning, disassembly (haven’t taken it down yet)
And assembly. There was one thing that I couldn’t find any information on and although some of the videos I watched showed it not all did. View attachment 20280
There is this, one on each side of the stock in the same area. I did notice that all of the information on the gun keeps referring to a “new” walnut stock so I decided to call Springfield CS I was impressed the call was answered immediately, no hold time. What I found out was these are special screws holding a metal liner that is now being installed into the stock where the action sits to help strengthen the stock.
Yes, they take a special tool. Usually you never need to do anything to them other than put a little oil on them so they won't rust. I don't know if you've ever had another rifle that you can't clean the barrel from the receiver end. The the M1, on the M1A you have 2 options. You can use a pull-through cable system like the Otis or Kleen Bore kits or you can insert a cleaning rod at the muzzle. If you're going to us a metal cleaning rod be careful to prevent muzzle erosion caused by metal on metal contact. I use fiberglass rods on my M1s and M1As for this reason.

Back