testtest

I think I'm done with Cabela's

I kind of like the idea of not buying the gun everyone has handled but I will inspect the gun from inventory before I buy it. When I bought guns in Texas (Academy Sports) the salesman would walk them out of the store to your car, I thought that kind of strange at first but when I asked why they do that I was told they don’t want someone buying a gun then before leaving the store load it and go on a shooting spree.
I bought a holster the other day at a local gun shop. I asked them if I could put my gun into the holster to check the size, and he unloaded it and then handed it back to me. After I selected the holster, I handed him the gun and the holster, and he met me at the register, where he commenced to remove all of the bullets from my magazine and put them into an envelope! After the purchase, he handed me the envelope with the bullets, along with everything else. When I asked why he unloaded my magazine, he said that he didn't want me (or anyone else) to reinsert the magazine and start shooting. Made sense when he explained it to me. Next time I go in there, I will put my dummy bright orange magazine into the gun that came with the gun, and leave my real magazine in the car!

I bought a holster the other day at a local gun shop. I asked them if I could put my gun into the holster to check the size, and he unloaded it and then handed it back to me. After I selected the holster, I handed him the gun and the holster, and he met me at the register, where he commenced to remove all of the bullets from my magazine and put them into an envelope! After the purchase, he handed me the envelope with the bullets, along with everything else. When I asked why he unloaded my magazine, he said that he didn't want me (or anyone else) to reinsert the magazine and start shooting. Made sense when he explained it to me. Next time I go in there, I will put my dummy bright orange magazine into the gun that came with the gun, and leave my real magazine in the car!
I guess he didn't realize that most mass shootings only happen in gun free zones. :(

I guess he didn't realize that most mass shootings only happen in gun free zones. :(
I'm sure quite a few other people were armed in the store at that time (e.g. every employee), so if anyone tried anything, there would have been plenty of people to deal with the perpetrator.

They have a big sign on the door as you walk in - "All guns must be unloaded, and the actions open!" If I'm going to pull my gun out of concealment, I have no problem with the way they handled it that day.

They have a big sign on the door as you walk in - "All guns must be unloaded, and the actions open!" If I'm going to pull my gun out of concealment, I have no problem with the way they handled it that day.
The irony never escapes me when I see those signs. However, with all the newly minted pistoleros walking about I do respect shop owners concern.

I recently had a similar experience at a gun store where I’ve been buying guns for some time now, I wanted to see if my EDC fit the holster I was looking at buying, when I went to unload it the young lady stopped me and said she needed to do it. She ejected my mag racked the slide to empty the chamber but didn’t lock the slide back when she handed it back to me (wrong) I didn’t correct her but checked the chamber again myself and moved on. She didn’t empty the magazine though.

I was a loyal Cabela’s customer for years. I don’t have an issue with stores choosing to use trigger locks (your store, your rules). I cancelled my account and quit doing business with Cabela’s awhile back when their customer service went downhill.

The S&W 642 was advertised at a great price in the weekly flyer. After waiting for quite some time for anyone to assist me, I was able to ask an employee if they had any in-stock. The employee had no idea what gun I was talking about (what gun store employee is not familiar with J-frame revolvers?). He then proceeded to tell me, in a very rude tone, that he couldn’t help me unless I knew the SKU number of the gun in their system. I informed him that only one of us was being paid to know Cabela’s stock system and decided that I no longer needed to shop there.

I’ve been buying guns for nearly 20 years, and that is still the only argumentative discussion I have ever had with any employee. I know that crowds can get on the nerves of retail salespeople, but I refuse to put up with rude behavior.

Cabellas lost two firearm sales doing the same thing to me a couple of years ago. Still stop in a couple times a year to get ammo or reloading supplies if I can not find it elsewhere. I look elsewhere for my firearms purchases.

FWIW, the ATF security guidelines for FFL's recommends leaving the trigger guard on the gun or rendering in unserviceable with guns handled by the customer in the gun shop. They are probably just following the guidelines by policy.

Well down in Texas and as I found out two weeks ago here in Kentucky with a new valid CCDW they don’t do a background check. I just bought my Gen5 40S&W and walked out with no background check, I was told a new CCDW will allow that.
Isn't the CCDW a sufficient background check? Why duplicate it at every firearms purchase? Maybe something in there I have missed.

I went into a Cabela's to get my hunting license this weekend and wandered over to take a look at their pistols. They had a P30L, which I've been looking for for a long time. I asked to take a look at it and it felt great in my hand. I asked if they could take the trigger guard off so I could see how the trigger feels. They refused and told me their corporate policy is the trigger guard never comes off. I won't buy a pistol without getting a sense for how it all feels, so I walked away from the sale. Nothing against their corporate policy, that's their right, but I won't be buying a pistol from them. Much more concerning was watching the clerks and customers looking at pistols. No discipline or concern for safe handling. I watched two guys pointing a handgun the clerk and each other over and over again. The clerk said nothing to them about keeping it pointed in a safe direction. Then THE CLERK started flagging other customers with the handgun after they handed it back. No concern for safe handling. Obviously not following the "assume every gun is loaded" and "don't point at anything you aren't prepared to shoot" commandments. That's a one strike and you're out foul to me. Be safe with the damn gun. No more Cabela's for me.
My wife bought me a Ruger LC9 for Xmas a couple of years ago and I really, really liked the balance, the weight, and the way it fit my hand but on the flipside I really, really hated the trigger. Too long of a pull, to much weight and way too much release to break. I had read somewhere that Ruger listened to their customers complaints and developed the LC9S striker fire that resolved that issue, When they first came out I went to Cabela's to have a look see. I asked them to remove the trigger guard and got the same canned response. I lifted my shirt to show him I was carrying an LC9 and told him the trigger fix was the only reason I was even looking and that if they truly fixed the trigger issue I was buying one today. I then told him he wasn't the only game in town, just the most convenient and I can take my business elsewhere. He looked both ways, sighed and removed the trigger guard. I bought the Ruger and it is one of my regular EDCs. A while later I bought a Hellcat from him but could not persuade him to remove the trigger guard.
I usually use Cabela's because they are convenient (close) and they usually have some budget practice ammo in stock but If I want to drive another 10 minutes or so I can go to 2 more different gun shops or I can go to Offutt AFB right down the street and not have to pay tax on it although their selection is sometimes a bit limited especially with new models.

My wife bought me a Ruger LC9 for Xmas a couple of years ago and I really, really liked the balance, the weight, and the way it fit my hand but on the flipside I really, really hated the trigger. Too long of a pull, to much weight and way too much release to break. I had read somewhere that Ruger listened to their customers complaints and developed the LC9S striker fire that resolved that issue, When they first came out I went to Cabela's to have a look see. I asked them to remove the trigger guard and got the same canned response. I lifted my shirt to show him I was carrying an LC9 and told him the trigger fix was the only reason I was even looking and that if they truly fixed the trigger issue I was buying one today. I then told him he wasn't the only game in town, just the most convenient and I can take my business elsewhere. He looked both ways, sighed and removed the trigger guard. I bought the Ruger and it is one of my regular EDCs. A while later I bought a Hellcat from him but could not persuade him to remove the trigger guard.
I usually use Cabela's because they are convenient (close) and they usually have some budget practice ammo in stock but If I want to drive another 10 minutes or so I can go to 2 more different gun shops or I can go to Offutt AFB right down the street and not have to pay tax on it although their selection is sometimes a bit limited especially with new models.
I haven't been in one in a while but to my recollection the Cabelas around here don't have trigger locks on their guns. I know for a fact the last gun I bought from them never had a trigger lock on it.

That said, I'll reiterate, there are several reasons why Cabelas/Bass Pro doesn't get much of my business, but trigger locks isn't one of them.

My EDC is the Ruger EC9S. I couldn't pass it up at the price I got it for ($283 including tax), and the more I carry it, the more I know it is the EDC for me.

I prefer the EC9S over the LC9S because it has a thumb safety and iron sights - smooth, nothing to snag when I'm pulling it out of my pocket. Also because of the price.

Simple, reliable, no-frills, thin. This is what I love about the Ruger EC9S. And I finally found a way to pocket carry a spare magazine - Ammo Armor.

Well down in Texas and as I found out two weeks ago here in Kentucky with a new valid CCDW they don’t do a background check. I just bought my Gen5 40S&W and walked out with no background check, I was told a new CCDW will allow that.
Don't go into a Rural King located in Kentucky and expect them to honor the KY CCDW no background check. Their home office is in Illinois, and they won't honor/recognize a KY CCDW. Military bases in KY won't either, but at least there I don't have to pay tax.

Don't go into a Rural King located in Kentucky and expect them to honor the KY CCDW no background check. Their home office is in Illinois, and they won't honor/recognize a KY CCDW. Military bases in KY won't either, but at least there I don't have to pay tax.
Well honestly I was surprised but either way I would have walked out with the gun it just would have added about 15 minutes to the sale.

I haven't been in one in a while but to my recollection the Cabelas around here don't have trigger locks on their guns. I know for a fact the last gun I bought from them never had a trigger lock on it.

That said, I'll reiterate, there are several reasons why Cabelas/Bass Pro doesn't get much of my business, but trigger locks isn't one of them.
I want to say I don’t believe the Cabela’s I go to in Louisville has trigger locks in use either.

My EDC is the Ruger EC9S. I couldn't pass it up at the price I got it for ($283 including tax), and the more I carry it, the more I know it is the EDC for me.

I prefer the EC9S over the LC9S because it has a thumb safety and iron sights - smooth, nothing to snag when I'm pulling it out of my pocket. Also because of the price.

Simple, reliable, no-frills, thin. This is what I love about the Ruger EC9S. And I finally found a way to pocket carry a spare magazine - Ammo Armor.
The LC9S also has a thumb safety and iron sights as well. The difference between the 2 are the sights and price point. Per lundestudio.com on the comparison between the 2 models:

"The primary difference between Ruger LC9s & EC9s is their sights. The Ruger LC9s features adjustable rear sights while the Ruger EC9s offers fixed sights."

"Although the Ruger EC9s is an almost exact copy of the Ruger LC9s, it is about a c-note cheaper. Ruger saved cost in manufacturing the EC9s by making its sights fixed, creating the spaces between the slide serrations on the EC9s wider than the LC9s, and using “black oxide” instead of the “bluing” process they use on the LC9s, which all saved machining time and costs. With this, the Ruger EC9s takes its first win against the LC9s Ruger for being more affordable."

That being said, I purchased my LC9S shortly after they were first released which was before the EC9S. If you look at a comparison article or even compare them side by you will see that they are nearly identical in all respects. If the EC9S had been available when I purchased mine I probably would have opted for it and saved the C-note. IMHO they are both awesome little 9mm's.

Back