testtest

I very much prefer to be all alone at the range. Or at least with people I 100% trust.

I personally don’t go to my range unless my brother goes with me, usually there is nobody there, we have two separate pistol ranges and a rifle and trap ranges, but you can shoot pistols in that area if nobody else is using them.

I prefer being alone since I can go at my own pace, and do my shooting in a systematic manner.

One range has a public side & a membership side, so obviously I prefer the membership side since I can have a bay/individual range all to myself typically.

The other range is membership only but gets more folks from town and a good dose of goofballs so there's a higher chance of having to share a bay.

I read about this in my local news website, and thought it might have occurred in my county's State Gun Range (which I used before with a friend). These ranges use to be "No Cost" as they are provided by Tax payer money, but now, you either need to have a Hunting or Sportsman's License or pay $30 to help with maintenance/cleanup (apparently they are very popular and heavily attended). After reading the article, it turns out it was clear across the State, but it still gets you thinking. Although I go to the range by myself (and would do so to the State Ranges also), I joined a local range that is hardly used except prior to hunting season (hunter zeroing scopes etc). This range is also part of a the 400 acres used for hunting, so it's closed during that time as well. Only once did I share the range and that was with someone getting their black powder musket prepared for that season. All in all, I have no issues using the range alone, but I remain vigilant to my surroundings to see if someone's driving/walking up etc.

I'm always observant wherever I go that involves firearms especially ranges and the LGS. I've seen some bad handling at both types of places and I've come across some sketchy individuals especially at the rental range.

Good thing about the range with two sides is Tue-Thurs the range is closed to the public, and even for the membership side the users are few & far between being the middle of the week.

The range closer to town has the IPSC club and due to the Covid I stayed away all this year, although they did start up some matches. I have a small set of my own stands, targets. etc. so I can set up at the other range for some drills.

I sure do miss being able to step out in my back yard and shoot to my hearts content. Aaahhh , the good ole days.

I can shoot in my backyard and often do. The trouble is I am limited on distance. I have around 30 yards.

The range I belong to is members only and I am almost always alone there. Especially when I'm shotgunning because I go to one of the utility ranges where I won't bother anyone who might come to shoot rifles and pistols. Plus most of the members at my club are older guys and I think most of them are more into hanging out in the lodge, eating, drinking coffee and BS'ing.

When my lady doesn’t go with me I go alone to my outdoor range, I have met some friends a few times but unless we all get there together early the range is so busy it’s impossible to get benches next to each other. Either way while I’m there I’m always looking at who is close to me and try to get close to older shooters. Twice I’ve left within a half hour due to it being what I referred to it being moron day.

With not so many places to shoot around me, my range has something like 5000 members. You are never by yourself. When a member comes in with five of his (non member) friends and they are taking up 6 lanes (not supposed to be done) and 3 of them are shooting gangsta style, it's time to leave. For the most part, all is good, but there have been times I have walked in and walked out. I don't ever want to be the backstop of someones stupidity.

I have a couple of buddies I've gone shooting with many times, my wife, and sometimes my son, when he's back in town visiting. But I actually kind of like it better when I go alone. I feel "rushed" when I go with my buddies. They always come with less ammo, and are done shooting long before me. When I go with my wife or son, I spend more time with helping them out, and I don't get the full shooting time I would get if I was alone. I try to go during the "off" times, when there is no one else there, or very few there.

There are just too many people on edge these days. That article is scary. Nobody will ever know why that dude shot his ‘friend’ like that.

I like to go to the range by myself when the range is empty on a non-public day, or at the very end of public day shooting when the safety officers finish their shifts and head out to shoot.

I’m never in a lane with somebody else who has a loaded gun. Also, my gun stays with me all the time. I might pass someone a different gun but at no point will I be gun-less at the gun range.

There have been a few sketchy situations when it’s been just me and a stranger at the range. Sometimes, at the outdoor range, we have to walk to change targets and if there’s only two of us, whats to stop the stranger from shooting me in the back when I’m walking. Uh uh. Nope. I’d rather be at the range all by myself.

Fortunately, I have what is often referred to as ‘resting b*#%& face’ which I can turn on on-demand. It usually scares the crazy strangers away. When the face is used properly, the stranger thinks I’m either crazy or a police officer.... and they try not to make eye contact.

Back