testtest

I'm outta ink from 27 pens now.

Old_Me

Ronin
when i bought my very first gun back in 2020, i wanted to maintain a "log book" of it's use, ammo fired, either new or reloaded, and cleaning regimen, date of purchase, serial number, date of build, prices paid, including sales taxes, FFL fee's (if applicable) and where bought, either locally or online.

as a former trucker and auto mechanic, detailed records are vital as proof (in case of an accident) that proper inspections and repairs were made to the vehicle, and trailer.

as a former mechanic, it was vital proof of keeping records of repairs done to my car, all my family's cars, and of course the customers, in case of a possible lawsuit there as well. (not from family, just the customers that are always looking for a free lunch)

so off to wally world i'd go and buy a lined note book.

well, 27 guns later, and a pile of notebooks, makes for a PITA each and every time i need to "see" which gun is due for the range.

and taking those books out of the cabinet was a weight lifters dream, but my nightmare, as they are HEAVY, when i'd take several out at at a time..

so, off to Staples, for a 3 ring, 3" binder, paper, file separator's, and a bunch of pens.

took me about 3 hours to compile my collection, and each gun has about 15 pages of paper, rather than a whole notebook's worth.

believe it or not, all the information of each gun, is in this 3 ring binder

now i need more pens.

1644009014658.png

Well that's a pleasant humble-brag if I ever heard one (quantity of firearms AND the note-taking). Why are you not keeping the data on your hard drive with printed backups (and cloud backups)? 28 guns in 2 years is pretty good for a non-FFL holder...in retirement...on a fixed income...(don't all you old farts say you're on a fixed income?)

This post is made with admiration and good will Old_me. Other posts recently may have had a tinge of conflict that I regret...:)

Dammit, Simon just posted that while I was typing...

when i bought my very first gun back in 2020, i wanted to maintain a "log book" of it's use, ammo fired, either new or reloaded, and cleaning regimen, date of purchase, serial number, date of build, prices paid, including sales taxes, FFL fee's (if applicable) and where bought, either locally or online.

as a former trucker and auto mechanic, detailed records are vital as proof (in case of an accident) that proper inspections and repairs were made to the vehicle, and trailer.

as a former mechanic, it was vital proof of keeping records of repairs done to my car, all my family's cars, and of course the customers, in case of a possible lawsuit there as well. (not from family, just the customers that are always looking for a free lunch)

so off to wally world i'd go and buy a lined note book.

well, 27 guns later, and a pile of notebooks, makes for a PITA each and every time i need to "see" which gun is due for the range.

and taking those books out of the cabinet was a weight lifters dream, but my nightmare, as they are HEAVY, when i'd take several out at at a time..

so, off to Staples, for a 3 ring, 3" binder, paper, file separator's, and a bunch of pens.

took me about 3 hours to compile my collection, and each gun has about 15 pages of paper, rather than a whole notebook's worth.

believe it or not, all the information of each gun, is in this 3 ring binder

now i need more pens.

View attachment 24570
If you compiled all that info down to 15 pgs per gun and all of them into a 3 ring binder, it appears to me it's not more pens you need ...... but more guns !!!! (y)(y)(y)

If you compiled all that info down to 15 pgs per gun and all of them into a 3 ring binder, it appears to me it's not more pens you need ...... but more guns !!!! (y)(y)(y)
actually, all the current up to date info on each gun, fills only 1.5 pages. the note books come with like 200 pages, which helps in making them heavy to lug around.

15 pages of paper are for each range visit, cleaning, etc. then if i need to add more pages, it'll be that much easier.

One word: Computer.
i thought about that, then print out what i need if i go to sell the gun. however, is anything really secret and secure in the cloud..???
Well that's a pleasant humble-brag if I ever heard one (quantity of firearms AND the note-taking). Why are you not keeping the data on your hard drive with printed backups (and cloud backups)? 28 guns in 2 years is pretty good for a non-FFL holder...in retirement...on a fixed income...(don't all you old farts say you're on a fixed income?)

This post is made with admiration and good will Old_me. Other posts recently may have had a tinge of conflict that I regret...:)

Dammit, Simon just posted that while I was typing...
as noted above about keeping it in the 'puter.

the gun buying bug got me, and got me darned good. that and yes, as retired people, we live on a fixed income. however, money was "stashed" on the side over the years, as well as the wife goes to Bingo, like 47 thousand times a week, and she hands over a portion to me.

I DO NOT ask her for the money she wins, she knows all the work i have done over the years and sacrificing, raising 5 kids, helping them, her, and not thinking of myself. as a married person, we give up a lot for our family, as we trudge off to work with holes in socks, and worn out boot soles.

Gotta love ambitious people :)
nah.....cold, rainy, icy, and didn't get to the club for shooting today, cuz of all that....

and i wasn't about to watch the Olympics

i thought about that, then print out what i need if i go to sell the gun. however, is anything really secret and secure in the cloud..???

as noted above about keeping it in the 'puter.

the gun buying bug got me, and got me darned good. that and yes, as retired people, we live on a fixed income. however, money was "stashed" on the side over the years, as well as the wife goes to Bingo, like 47 thousand times a week, and she hands over a portion to me.

I DO NOT ask her for the money she wins, she knows all the work i have done over the years and sacrificing, raising 5 kids, helping them, her, and not thinking of myself. as a married person, we give up a lot for our family, as we trudge off to work with holes in socks, and worn out boot soles.

nah.....cold, rainy, icy, and didn't get to the club for shooting today, cuz of all that....

and i wasn't about to watch the Olympics
Sounds like you got a good wife OM. :)

I was going to do the same thing… but i didn’t.
i pretty much did it for the reasons i outlined earlier.

then one time, when i was at the range, an RSO and i got to talking about how many guns he owned. he said well over 20. then i asked him about how many rounds thru them.

he could only say, "about".

i don't like, "about", if i were to buy a used anything, be it a car, truck, big rig, etc.

i'd want to know exactly how many miles on the clock, how many idling hours, and how it was maintained.

right now, i have 2 up for sale, both Glocks. when i took them to the range for a consignment, i included a paper that specified how many rounds each has fired.

i had done that with 2 other previous sales.

it's all about information, this is why i'd not trust anything in "the cloud", as it's up there, floating around, for anyone to grab a hold of, most likely the gooberment.

Sounds like you got a good wife OM. :)
i offered to trade her in for a new model........

that's when she went out and bought a roll of velcro.

says to me, "you trade me in, imma gonna cut it off, velcro it, and give it to you when I THINK you need it"....

so yeah, she's a keeper.........as well as my privates......

i pretty much did it for the reasons i outlined earlier. " .................................... "

it's all about information, this is why i'd not trust anything in "the cloud", as it's up there, floating around, for anyone to grab a hold of, most likely the gooberment.
I've admitted several times here on the forum that my computer skills leave a lot to be desired ........... and I certainly do not claim to know all there is to know about it. But I am under the impression your 'stuff' only goes out on the cloud if you want it too and set it up that way. Generally all your 'stuff' resides on your personal computer in the hard drive where you or those you designate are the only ones who can see/access it. Yes, it can be hacked, but not nearly as readily as if it's out there somewhere in la'la' land due to your being behind your own personal I-net connection, hopefully with all the required security stuff.

At least that's the way I understand things ...... and I can promise you absolutely nothing I own or have produced is stored anywhere except on my personal PC's hard drive. I would never even consider the 'cloud'. All that may be poppycock to some of y'all real guru's, but that's the way I understand it. (y)(y)(y)

I keep a detailed file of my ammo on hand, which I literally do inventory on whenever I pack/unpack for a range day, or when I pick up ammo at the store.

In that same file is a list of each of my firearms and exactly how many rounds i've put through each of them. I do not keep a cleaning schedule because I clean them everytime I come home from the range.

I have digitized copies of all receipts and proof of sale etc, as well as all original paper copies. I store the files on an external hard drive with a back up to my CCTV system cloud which is maintained by me and only me. I run my own Server/NVR for my surveillance system at the house so I have no issues worrying about security as it's only available on my local intranet which can only be accessed through my Server/NVR. I keep that separate from my internet network.

I've admitted several times here on the forum that my computer skills leave a lot to be desired ........... and I certainly do not claim to know all there is to know about it. But I am under the impression your 'stuff' only goes out on the cloud if you want it too and set it up that way. Generally all your 'stuff' resides on your personal computer in the hard drive where you or those you designate are the only ones who can see/access it. Yes, it can be hacked, but not nearly as readily as if it's out there somewhere in la'la' land due to your being behind your own personal I-net connection, hopefully with all the required security stuff.

At least that's the way I understand things ...... and I can promise you absolutely nothing I own or have produced is stored anywhere except on my personal PC's hard drive. I would never even consider the 'cloud'. All that may be poppycock to some of y'all real guru's, but that's the way I understand it. (y)(y)(y)
i am also no computer expert, but consider myself "advanced", as i started pulling them apart, modding them, building them, and making some repairs. as i "see it" and my "understanding" that yes, it goes on the pc files, but it is automatically backed up in the cloud.

the one time i switched out my hard drive, i was able to access the cloud and viola, my files were downloaded where they belonged.

the "cloud" program is constantly running in the background, and if i stop it, i get an annoying reminder about it.

when i buy a gun, not so much ammo, as to me that's a consumable product, i too take copies of the cash register receipt, as the stores receipt is usually printed on thermal paper, and fades away in time.

i am also no computer expert, but consider myself "advanced", as i started pulling them apart, modding them, building them, and making some repairs. as i "see it" and my "understanding" that yes, it goes on the pc files, but it is automatically backed up in the cloud.

the one time i switched out my hard drive, i was able to access the cloud and viola, my files were downloaded where they belonged.

the "cloud" program is constantly running in the background, and if i stop it, i get an annoying reminder about it.

when i buy a gun, not so much ammo, as to me that's a consumable product, i too take copies of the cash register receipt, as the stores receipt is usually printed on thermal paper, and fades away in time.

Nothing goes to the cloud unless you have it set up to do so. You can also just uninstall the program entirely if that reminder is bothering you, and you truly do not desire having your system and files backed up that way.

What I would suggest is getting a large external hard drive. (you can find ones that are a couple of TB's in size for very cheap now)

Anything important you want to save in a secure offline setting just plug the external in, throw it on there, and then unplug it and store it.

I keep a file of all my important docs backed up, as well as important photos and videos.
I then keep an image of my entire PC backed up onto the external (I re-image every 3-6 months or so)

That way if anything happens to my PC, I have my entire OS/settings/programs etc ready to be re-installed at the drop of a dime with no data loss and it's reinstalled in less than hour, like nothing happened.

Nothing goes to the cloud unless you have it set up to do so. You can also just uninstall the program entirely if that reminder is bothering you, and you truly do not desire having your system and files backed up that way.

What I would suggest is getting a large external hard drive. (you can find ones that are a couple of TB's in size for very cheap now)

Anything important you want to save in a secure offline setting just plug the external in, throw it on there, and then unplug it and store it.

I keep a file of all my important docs backed up, as well as important photos and videos.
I then keep an image of my entire PC backed up onto the external (I re-image every 3-6 months or so)

That way if anything happens to my PC, I have my entire OS/settings/programs etc ready to be re-installed at the drop of a dime with no data loss and it's reinstalled in less than hour, like nothing happened.
yeah thanks. i never really did give an external HD any thoughts.

Last edited:
Back