testtest

Impressive Performance from "Cheap" Guns?

wmg1299

Professional
I have a problem passing up a good deal on a gun. While I’m not going to purchase every Hi-Point I see, the lower the price of any gun from a reputable manufacturer, the weaker the reason I need to justify the purchase. Last week, one of my favorite online sites offered the 5” FDE S&W M&P 2.0 for $358 (shipping & taxes included). I ordered it based on nothing more than the fact that I have never owned a brown gun.

I took the M&P to the range this weekend, and was amazed to find that I was shooting 3” groups at 25 yards. I’m not a bad shot, but groups like that the first time I fire a gun are almost unheard of for me. While the M&P 2.0 series are not “cheap” guns, they certainly aren’t nearly as expensive as many other handguns on the market.

How many of you have had similar experiences? Which “cheap” gun, or gun that you purchased for a low price, surprised you with its performance?

S&W M&P 2.0 FDE.jpg

I have a problem passing up a good deal on a gun. While I’m not going to purchase every Hi-Point I see, the lower the price of any gun from a reputable manufacturer, the weaker the reason I need to justify the purchase. Last week, one of my favorite online sites offered the 5” FDE S&W M&P 2.0 for $358 (shipping & taxes included). I ordered it based on nothing more than the fact that I have never owned a brown gun.

I took the M&P to the range this weekend, and was amazed to find that I was shooting 3” groups at 25 yards. I’m not a bad shot, but groups like that the first time I fire a gun are almost unheard of for me. While the M&P 2.0 series are not “cheap” guns, they certainly aren’t nearly as expensive as many other handguns on the market.

How many of you have had similar experiences? Which “cheap” gun, or gun that you purchased for a low price, surprised you with its performance?

View attachment 27579
$358 in total for that gun? Wow! Very good deal. Nice gun too (i have one). Enjoy.

Around me that M&P is $500+ (after you include tax and background check fees). After you add tax and fees to $358 it gets closer to local sticker prices...Good find. I'd mention my newer Canik, but I fully expected it to perform the way it does...

I love a bargain and I enjoy the purchases that deliver on my hopes. I've purchased guns that I soon regretted for a variety of reasons such as unreliable feeding, soft steel, losing parts, poor groups, etc. The enjoyable ones help me forget the bad.

View attachment 27579

That was a steal.

Heck, I probably would’ve bought one, and I’m pretty much set on 9mm strikers.

Thinking in cheap guns that have impressed me…

I bought a PD trade in Gen2 Glock 21 that I used as a beater, and a test bed on steel ammo & overall abuse. Several thousand rounds through it without a cleaning beyond pulling the slide off and whacking the loose gunk out of it, and squirting a little lube on the rails & barrel…went for a few more thousand rounds before I sold it to a buddy’s son that was looking for a good piece. Cleaned it, replaced the springs & extractor (just in case), and it’s still running strong today…about 10 years and several thousand rounds later. I think I paid $350 for it.

Also have a H&R Sentinel .22 I picked up for $125. Incredibly accurate little 9-shot revolver. Picked off many a rabbit and squirrel with it.

Also have a .32 S&W Long Rossi revolver…it’s a little tougher than my J-frames, but it’s accurate & reliable…paid all of $185 for it.

Paid $125 for an East German Makarov, nice holster 6 magazines and 5 boxes ammunition. And paid $150 for an Eaa Witness compact .45 acp with ammunition, holster and 6 magazines both a week after Y2k from a guy who was trying to recoup money he spent thinking the world was ending, even when I told him the truth about it all, I was in charge of the Y2K project for my company. Oh yeah also got a complete nice gun cleaning kit and machete thrown in. And now that i think about it there was an armorers kit of some type with the Mak, it had several sets of springs, firing pins, extractors, take down tool etc.

Still have the Mak and the Eaa is being used by my nephew, both great buys.

I think I paid close to $200 back in the early 80s for a Taurus 66 .357 magnum, great revolver, still have it and have taken many deer with it. My wife shoots it more than I do.

Last edited:
good luck with your new toy! Wish you had mentioned store name!
Tin Star Shooting Range. The main store & range is in Oklahoma, but they do a lot of online business (similar to Kentucky Gun Company). Shipping is free, and only residents of certain states have to pay sales tax. I didn't originally post it because by the time I received the gun and took it to the range, the price had increased. I'm not sure how the whole gun warehouse business works, because large price increases and decreases seem to occur from day to day. If you're in the market for something, it is probably worth checking Tin Star before making a purchase. I didn't want to post a link without knowing the advertising/SPAM rules on the forum, but googling Tin Star Shooting Weatherford Oklahoma should lead you right to it.

I am counted among the "poors" and all of my guns are pretty cheap. My most expensive is my Glock 19 gen 5 and around $600-ish and probably less. My Glock is a work horse and not a show pony.

My Tisas 1911 is a little cheaper at around $450 ish. I e putt 500 rounds through it and not done anything to tune it and it hasn't failed me yet.

S&W SD40VE, really impressed me for a budget type gun
My SD40VE is one of my favorite range guns. I did finally break down and install the Apex Tactical trigger and springs. I kept thinking that, with enough shots, I would master the stock trigger. Unfortunately, I never could get a solid group without a flyer with the stock trigger. The SD40VE's price made me full comfortable with installing the Apex trigger myself, and it was a vast improvement.

I once bought a Star PD for $75, it shoots just fine, gave it to one of my boys. I also fall into the poor boy category and all my guns are 'budget' to some people. I don't buy any custom masterpieces or collectors' items.
I buy shooters. Some of them became valuable after I had them 20 years and got sold. An old model Ruger flat top, a Colt King Cobra, an M1 Garande.. that sort of stuff.

I once bought a Star PD for $75, it shoots just fine, gave it to one of my boys. I also fall into the poor boy category and all my guns are 'budget' to some people. I don't buy any custom masterpieces or collectors' items.
I buy shooters. Some of them became valuable after I had them 20 years and got sold. An old model Ruger flat top, a Colt King Cobra, an M1 Garande.. that sort of stuff.
About 20 years ago I bolt a 6” Colt Diamondback for $60. It has not disappointed me.

Back