testtest

Improvised Defenses in Gun-Free Zones

There's no such thing as a "gun free zone" for me. I always go CCW, and don't feel the need to go exposed carry. That only makes you the first victim if you are caught unaware. Besides that, gun free zones are not governed by law. It's a store/ business policy or rule if you go exposed. You can be asked to leave the business and if you don't, you could possibly be charged with a trespass beef, that's all. If the business is that stupid, I won't do business there anyway.

As far as the simple topic of improvised defense I carry a blackthorn walking stick, have done so since needing hip replacement. Have taken canefu and irish stick fighting classes and it can be quite formidable.

Also carry a knife for each hand and have trained in thier uses.

Do not like carrying pepper spray ever since I had one blow up in the heat and dose me, no fun.

I havectrained in hand to hand combative, albeit years ago.

Besides that, gun free zones are not governed by law.
FB_IMG_1688056142033.jpg

gun free zone governed by law

I’m not one to play along with private limited-liability virtue signaling placards or gubmint signage unless a magnetometer is being used upon entry.

It’s a nice reminder to at least carry something just in case you’re in a jam, even improvising an object for self preservation. A pocket knife has many benefits or a pen for writing down descriptions.

Since the article mentions flying, be aware that two of the items shown will be flagged by TSA if trying to carry on a flight - a sap identifying as a coin pouch and the tactical pen. Same applies to firearm parts like flash hiders to multi-tools, essentially anything that even mimics, resembles or deemed weaponry or contraband (but 10¢ stick ballpoint pens are ok).

First, I really don't have a dog in this fight. I didn't plan it this way but, with the exception of the VA, there's no place I go in my life that is posted.

I've been through Run,Hide, Fight training and I don't disagree with the basic principles.

I've said this before but when I'm in a public setting such as the gym, church or a restaurant I make a point of sitting as far away from the entrance and as close to an emergency exit as possible. I haven't been to a theater since we took the Grandbeasts to see Shrek The Third and some little brat spit soda all over the back of my head.

As I said I'm never in a GFZ (VA excepted) so I always have a gun. But I also carry OC (which wouldn't be allowed on a plane) and I usually have my fanny pack that has a great big brass padlock in it for my gym locker but I don't really worry about secondary or improvised weapons.

lSince the article mentions flying, be aware that two of the items shown will be flagged by TSA if trying to carry on a flight - a sap identifying as a coin pouch and the tactical pen. Same applies to firearm parts like flash hiders to multi-tools, essentially anything that even mimics, resembles or deemed weaponry or contraband (but 10¢ stick ballpoint pens are ok).
I don't think the TSA is as stupid as people think they are.

I never worked for the TSA but when I was a security guard we would get memos periodically advising us of new improvised weapons and things that people were doing to sneak guns into places.

If a private security company is up on that stuff I'm sure that TSA is

There's no such thing as a "gun free zone" for me. I always go CCW, and don't feel the need to go exposed carry. That only makes you the first victim if you are caught unaware. Besides that, gun free zones are not governed by law. It's a store/ business policy or rule if you go exposed. You can be asked to leave the business and if you don't, you could possibly be charged with a trespass beef, that's all. If the business is that stupid, I won't do business there anyway.
Depending on your state, you can be charged with more than just trespass.

I know in MN, when few folks have refused to leave, they also got a Disorderly Conduct charge, usually due to the store owner saying they felt threatened. That gets your carry permit revoked on the spot…

If it bothers you so much—just don’t go there. Why would you want to support a business that doesn’t support your 2A rights, anyway?

I know in MN, when few folks have refused to leave, they also got a Disorderly Conduct charge, usually due to the store owner saying they felt threatened. That gets your carry permit revoked on the spot…

If it bothers you so much—just don’t go there. Why would you want to support a business that doesn’t support your 2A rights, anyway?
Agree, there are a lot of businesses in my area that do not support the 2 amendment, so I avoid them also any manufacturer that doesn’t support it also I avoid……

As the good doctor and author said, "The most capable survival tool ever imagined is perched atop your shoulders. We need only exercise that tool to help keep ourselves and our families safe come what may." Exercise personal responsibility for where you go, what you do, and when you do it, then use your situational awareness to tell you when to get out of Dodge, and - finally - use your conflict avoidance skills, and the need for a firearm goes down to the vanishing point.

In NM failure to abide by a "no guns" policy is a 4th degree felony. You want a felony conviction on your record when you go to renew your professional license? Ditto for having a firearm in a prohibited location (where liquor is served, for example).

I don't think the TSA is as stupid as people think they are.

I never worked for the TSA but when I was a security guard we would get memos periodically advising us of new improvised weapons and things that people were doing to sneak guns into places.

If a private security company is up on that stuff I'm sure that TSA is
The TSA is great! Their training is excellent and the attentiveness of their staff is very good. In the old days there were never enough officers to conduct proper screenings and they were poorly trained, poorly paid, and treated badly because Airlines were responsible for security and they weren't going to pay "good money" for anything that didn't involve the actual plane experience.

I've been listening to folks on the "always armed" and on the "never armed" sides with keen interest. Turns out they use the exact same language and express exactly the same fears - but with opposite effect. "I won't go where I cannot be armed" equals "I'll never go where folks are encouraged to be armed." "I'm terrified of some crazy with a CCW permit and a gun just overreacting and starting to spray bullets willy-nilly" and "I'm scared that some drug crazed dope will start acting out, pull a gun, and start spraying bullets." I don't see reports of folks legitimately taking out the crazed druggie, or of CCW folks shooting someone who jostled them in a check-out line. What I see is road rage, drug buys gone bad, retribution for insults exchanged weeks ago, robberies involving over-anxious baddies or overzealous defenders and so on.

I used to travel to NYC and NJ a lot for work. Had to make sure nothing illegal was in the vehicle. You get caught with a gun in NJ and you have mandatory jail time. That is before you even get to NYC. NJ cops love to pull over people that cross the NJ border, especially by accident from PA and have a looksee for a gun.

I used to carry various things back then for protection. I had a monopod that I used Loctite on to keep it shut. (Collapsible batons are illegal.) It could be used as a bludgeon. I had knives, pepper spray and tactical flashlights. The pepper has to be a certain size and watered down. Both NJ and NYC have their laws on pepper.

I didn't know the knives I carried were illegal. If you can open a knife with one hand...it is illegal in NYC. And knives have to be concealed and not in sight. Check out the knife laws, they may have changed. But tons of people were arrested just for having a work knife on them in sight. And even if out of sight...you can't open it with one hand. I eventually settled on a neck carry little knife. Knife can't be too big either.

Well, luckily for me I don't go to NYC or NJ anymore. This was pre-covid, when things were still somewhat OK. Looks like if you defend yourself in NYC with a weapon you may go to jail now. The dem D.A. lives for that!

Where I'm at now I carry pepper, a knife and a Hellcat or two. In the car is a snub. I retired all my revolvers, but I keep a few snubs around as backup. Still waiting for the Bobcat .380 12-shot made by Springfield as backup. If at night, I will add a small Surefire 1200 lumen light to the carry list. It is good for blinding people.

Oh...I also used to carry a class III laser in NYC to blind people. But it can really damage the eyes...so be careful. Dunno, where the laws are with that. Did any of the rioters in the 'Summer of Love 2020' ever get in trouble for blinding cops? Well, maybe it has to do with politics. I'd be of the wrong pollical persuasion for a pass. I don't carry lasers anymore. But in a world with no rule of law...I'd use them along with anything else I got that gets the job done. You can blind people from a long distance with it.

In England I used to carry sharp pencils, the glued monopod, tactical lights and Deet. Deet works pretty good as an eye irritant spray. I don't go to England anymore, so not a problem.

sub.jpg

I've been listening to folks on the "always armed" and on the "never armed" sides with keen interest. Turns out they use the exact same language and express exactly the same fears - but with opposite effect. "I won't go where I cannot be armed" equals "I'll never go where folks are encouraged to be armed." "I'm terrified of some crazy with a CCW permit and a gun just overreacting and starting to spray bullets willy-nilly" and "I'm scared that some drug crazed dope will start acting out, pull a gun, and start spraying bullets." I don't see reports of folks legitimately taking out the crazed druggie, or of CCW folks shooting someone who jostled them in a check-out line. What I see is road rage, drug buys gone bad, retribution for insults exchanged weeks ago, robberies involving over-anxious baddies or overzealous defenders and so on.

Old mentor of mine used to say...if he needs a gun to go to a dangerous part of town...he would rather not go. (Paraphrased.)

Well, that was early 2000's. In 2023...everyplace is dangerous!

My favorite "Alternate Weapon" is a 4" Adjustable (Crescent Type) Wrench as a Keychain fob, and I've carried one on every set of keys I've had for nearly 50 years. It's best feature is that it isn't an obvious weapon like Kubota so and other non lethal self defense tools. No one gives it a second glance when passing through a metal detector. It can be used as a point of contact or a flail, and with the jaws spread, it will easily break skin to cause your attacker to bleed (a forehead strike, will fill their eyes with blood).
In all those years, I've only had to deploy it once, and it was a most effective dissuader to my attacker's attempts to mug me.

Back