testtest

Improvised Defenses in Gun-Free Zones

As a long time (since '77) resident of Texas, I find these signs ridiculous. The Texas concealed carry law was specifically passed as a direct result of the 1991 Luby's cafeteria shooting (23 killed, 27 wounded). About 150 people were in the cafeteria at the time. Despite the state's reputation as a gun happy place, no one in the restaurant was armed. Times have changed. The likelihood that a shooter would find easy pickings in a public place these days is is pretty much non-existent. Too bad that 1991 was the good ole days when people felt they could go to a restaurant and enjoy a good meal without concern for their life. Now, we have open carry. Texans in 1991, even those nostagic for the really old days, thought that was inconceivable. But here we are.

Living in NJ i don’t carry a defense-specific knife since most are illegal. So my last ditch, in a pinch, back up against the wall, nowhere to run defense weapon is a Leatherman Multitool. Not a knife. A multitool. It happens to have a knife on it though. I use it for work but it is always on me. Not the ideal defense weapon but, much like a .22 for home defense, it’s better than nothing.

Living in NJ i don’t carry a defense-specific knife since most are illegal. So my last ditch, in a pinch, back up against the wall, nowhere to run defense weapon is a Leatherman Multitool. Not a knife. A multitool. It happens to have a knife on it though. I use it for work but it is always on me. Not the ideal defense weapon but, much like a .22 for home defense, it’s better than nothing.
Ah-the switchpliers..;)

Carried one for a long time even in an office environment. Never got a second look…

Always kinda figured the needle-nosed version would make a hell of an impact weapon.

My favorite "Alternate Weapon" is a 4" Adjustable (Crescent Type) Wrench as a Keychain fob, and I've carried one on every set of keys I've had for nearly 50 years. It's best feature is that it isn't an obvious weapon like Kubota so and other non lethal self defense tools. No one gives it a second glance when passing through a metal detector. It can be used as a point of contact or a flail, and with the jaws spread, it will easily break skin to cause your attacker to bleed (a forehead strike, will fill their eyes with blood).
In all those years, I've only had to deploy it once, and it was a most effective dissuader to my attacker's attempts to mug me.
My Kubota weighs 7000 pounds and is difficult to conceal.

As a long time (since '77) resident of Texas, I find these signs ridiculous. The Texas concealed carry law was specifically passed as a direct result of the 1991 Luby's cafeteria shooting (23 killed, 27 wounded). About 150 people were in the cafeteria at the time. Despite the state's reputation as a gun happy place, no one in the restaurant was armed. Times have changed. The likelihood that a shooter would find easy pickings in a public place these days is is pretty much non-existent. Too bad that 1991 was the good ole days when people felt they could go to a restaurant and enjoy a good meal without concern for their life. Now, we have open carry. Texans in 1991, even those nostagic for the really old days, thought that was inconceivable. But here we are.
I agree 100%. Nearly all Mass Casualty Shootings occur in so called "Gun Free Zones."
GFZs should be named "Unarmed Victim Zones."

Ah-the switchpliers..;)

Carried one for a long time even in an office environment. Never got a second look…

Always kinda figured the needle-nosed version would make a hell of an impact weapon.
Indeed, and that would be my preference for defense but the problem is being able to open it quickly. i can open the knife with my thumb, but it is meant more for opening boxes and cutting apples than for defense.

Back