testtest

In Memory: Larry Ruth, Renowned M1 Carbine Historian

Great short on the M-1 Carbine of which I admired as a Kid, but didn't own till in my thirties. Traded for it with a Ruger Bull-barrel pistol and actually carried for a few years as a Patrol Rifle with a mid-sized LE Agency enlieu of the issued 9mm Camp Rifle. Never sure of what I had, other than it was a 1942 Inland by GM and was surprised later to find the receiver was from a tool company and the stock Rock-o-la. Now trying to get the Bride to pick it up as her self-defense rifle as it does fit her over the others and I guess that was it's mission. A rifle for the masses in arms...

Still feed it some 1954 Ammo and seems to still like it.

Very timely article. I just received my FFL for Curios & Relics the other day. I specifically applied for it to purchase an M-1 Carbine. Being new to collecting I appreciate you turning me on to The War Baby! series so I'll have something else to track down to go witn my M-1...besides "War Baby Food" to feed it! LOL!

Mike My Dad and I did some maintenance and electrical work for a lady when I was a young lad. He traded the work for an M-1 carbine and ammo that her late husband had brought home from WW2. It is all matching numbers and has the flip sight. Too bad I did not realize the value of the ammo. I shot most of it up, all of it was in original boxes. Last year I was able to finally able to buy the big brother, an M-1 Garand 1944 issue. Both of these rifles shoot so sweet. They will be passed on to my son and so on, never to be sold.

I pulled my m1 carbine out of the safe to commemorate the life Larry Ruth since reading about his death.
I've had two. My first was a dcm purchase for less than $20.
The last from the cmp for $500.
I shoot 120 grain cast bullets at plates set at 100 and 200 yards.
A fun way to relive a very small part of WWII weaponry.

Attachments

• 20220603_140814.jpg
    20220603_140814.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 143
Tom, i don't recall ever meeting you, but delighted that you have warm memories of my husband. Thanks for this article. His works were a labor of love.
A little late, but my heartfelt condolences to you on your loss, Jacque. I love my 2 M1 Carbines, and love reading about their history.

Back