testtest

insane used car prices

Old_Me

Ronin
thanks to google, and thier search bots, i get on my home page, used cars for sale ( and i ain't looking to buy anything)

the used cars are for the time being, specific to toyota corolla.

the prices for these used are as the title said..insane..

for the little more money, whey buy used, when new is better?

i dunno, if people buy a used car for nearly the same as new, they are just nuts.

Still? I thought these were inflated during the pandemic because of the low supply of new cars. I would of thought that they would of normalized by now. Maybe it depends on which car due to demand but I agree if it's a few thousand more I rather pay a little more and go with a new one. Plus if you finance you get better rates on new then used, people need to factor that in also.

Still? I thought these were inflated during the pandemic because of the low supply of new cars. I would of thought that they would of normalized by now. Maybe it depends on which car due to demand but I agree if it's a few thousand more I rather pay a little more and go with a new one. Plus if you finance you get better rates on new then used, people need to factor that in also.
yeah, in fact, i had to put on order in December of '21, to get my new corolla in January of '22, due to shortages.

but the used car/truck market pricings are still way off insane.

i'd "like to have" but DO NOT need a pick up truck, but no way would i pay insane prices for used, with (to me) high miles.........and (to me) high miles is over 100,000 miles.

you gotta remember i am old, and if a car went past 50,000 miles, in my youth, it was time for a ring and valve job

i know 100,000 miles is "low miles" in todays world, but i simply WILL NOT pay for any vehicle with that amount of miles on it.....just not gonna do it.

now we would be talking transmission problems,...do i know how that used truck was used, or abused..???

todays transmission work is well over $2,000, and up to $5,000 so then what, i sink $30-40,000 into a used truck, then take out a loan for a transmission job in less than a year..???

just not gonna do it.

I need to start thinking of replacing my wife's Chrysler 300.
Even though it only has 113000 miles it is 20 years old.
The new ones have a better finance rate, but I have a family owned used car business that I dealt with before that gets their vehicles from a Michigan dealer that are lease returns.
They all come with a carfax report and they are really clean cars and their prices seem reasonable.

th-852206322.jpg

For a while there used cars were selling for more than their original sticker😳. I always figured if I paid sticker on a new one I was being hosed😊. Lots of folks wound up buying cars with several thousand $$$ in negative equity right off the bat. Weird times. My first HOUSE was $18.5-now a USED car with 90k will bring more. Ya ever feel like we’re dealing with Monopoly money🙄

The used car/truck market is over priced, and you must take extra care inspecting a vehicle BEFORE you buy it because the scammers are having a field day putting lipstick on pigs.

I have purchased two used Toyota vehicles in the past 6 months, a 2002 Tundra and a 2006 Sequoia. Both are solid rust free southern vehicles with extensive service records. Be careful out there.

I would love to find an older Camry with a manual transmission, but they are rare and get snapped up very quickly.

Last edited:
I need to start thinking of replacing my wife's Chrysler 300.
Even though it only has 113000 miles it is 20 years old.
The new ones have a better finance rate, but I have a family owned used car business that I dealt with before that gets their vehicles from a Michigan dealer that are lease returns.
They all come with a carfax report and they are really clean cars and their prices seem reasonable.

View attachment 54553
i always check the carfax reports myself..

if i see"any accidents reported"?

i move on.

even reported "light damage", can have underlying issues.

I drive a 5 year old vehicle we will drive into the ground. My retirement account keeps growing and I have money for my hobbies.
you see that's it with me...i don't need a used truck, i'd just like to have one, as owning an old house, there are always repairs, and a trip to lowes/home depot, load up the truck and home i get....but too, at my age, my '22 corolla might be my last car, and i too would rather buy ammo, and such.

so the actual need for a truck is not there. just nice to have.....and NO...i do not volunteer to help anyone, nor loan out my stuff.

that's why there is U-Haul

My primary vehicle is the 2002 Tundra that I purchased in 2003, I will drive it until I can no longer drive a motor vehicle. My secondary 'project vehicle' is a rare 2007 Tundra that I bought cheap in 2017 with 270,000 miles, rare because it's a short wheelbase regular cab short bed with the 5.7L V8. One or all three of the previous owners rode it hard and put it away wet... it needs the head gaskets replaced at 315,000 miles. It's definitely worth repairing, and I could sell it for what I paid plus all I have put in it, plus a nice profit on top - that's how crazy the market is.

I also have been thinking of a new car for my wife. Her Honda Civic is 19 years old and only has 77000 miles but its 19 years old. I went to my friend to see how much I could get for it if I sold it. He told me to ask $6500. I was shocked! She looked at a new Chevrolet Trax and likes it but I don't like 3 cyl engines and don't like anything manufactured in Korea. They are about $4000 cheaper than a Honda HRV which I want to get her. I have had very good luck with Honda, my 22 CRV has been excellent. My dream vehicle is a Honda Ridgeline but I am not willing to pay $48000 for one. She likes the style of the Trax. I guess this will be a long drawn out battle.

I also have been thinking of a new car for my wife. Her Honda Civic is 19 years old and only has 77000 miles but its 19 years old. I went to my friend to see how much I could get for it if I sold it. He told me to ask $6500. I was shocked! She looked at a new Chevrolet Trax and likes it but I don't like 3 cyl engines and don't like anything manufactured in Korea. They are about $4000 cheaper than a Honda HRV which I want to get her. I have had very good luck with Honda, my 22 CRV has been excellent. My dream vehicle is a Honda Ridgeline but I am not willing to pay $48000 for one. She likes the style of the Trax. I guess this will be a long drawn out battle.
Refreshing the old Honda makes perfect economic sense.

Shiny and new is a best left to lottery winners.

happy wife, happy life.

might as well give in now.

before Brandon changes his mind again and says that by the end of '24, all new cars must be peddle cars.........

Back