testtest

Interesting read: penetration of rounds in a household setting

KillerFord1977

SAINT
Founding Member
Long and Very interesting Read.

focus is on how does ammunition over penetrate in a common household setting, not the gun being used.

(Note: setting #1 with birdshot, all I can think of is Dick Cheney🤣)

Awhile back there were several good articles posted on this subject, and a lot of good discussion.

For some reason the search function didn't catch this one.

A while back I made some suggestions to the admin to better organize things since I knew over time we'd get more duplicate/similar articles. But all for naught.

Last edited:
So it took me a couple sit downs to get through the article it presented a ton of very good information. I will say I wish the 40SW had been tested as I find myself carrying that exclusively right now however my current house gun is my 1911 RO 45 and the back up to that with SHTF scenario/implications is my Edge pistol in 5.56
Great read great article. Thanks @KillerFord1977

There’s overpenetration, and there’s overpenetration.

Most modern defensive rounds, IF they exit the body (assuming a central torso shot) are usually stopped by the exiting clothing. Those few that can get through that are most often found lying a few feet away on the ground...in short, they’re spent of enough energy to do further damage.

I don’t agree with the test only using 12” of gel, as that’s considered the minimum amount of acceptable...

Good post Killerford, thanks. Pew Pew Tactical has great articles. Like some said in the article's comments, the pistol vs rifle/carbine stability for rate of fire etc., could have been more equalized if Pistol Caliber Carbines were used instead of just a pistol. You could get a nice cheek-weld with a PCC & a reddot (similar to the AR pistols/carbines), while staying with defensive pistol ammunition.

Back