testtest

Is .38 Super Dead?

Steelers87

Alpha
Founding Member
I don't know about you all, but I have a weakness for .38 Super — the .357 mag for autos in the 1920s. Great round with a lot of history behind it. What do you all think?

It mainly only lived in the modern day as a way to make major power factor. Now that major has to start with a 4 I don't think it will be around much. Commercial loadings were already pretty rare for it before it got kicked from competition. I understand some drug cartel shooters like them because the FMJ when loaded hot can go through soft body armor, but even those guys are switching out to 5.7 FN's and such.

Then again something might come along that gives it a resurgence. Us 10mm devotees where in the wilderness for a decade or so before Glock of all people helped bring it back.

The 38 Super is a great cartridge & still alive. The modern version, the 9X23 is even better.

I've heard of the 9x23, but it's been a long time since I read anything about it. What's its backstory?

9x23 Winchester

9x23 Shooting Times

Colt & Winchester developed the cartridge court cases delayed production.

Bak in the day you could get barrels thru Brownells. I got a Nowlin (you still might get them direct) barrel and converted a 9mm SA. Just needed a check fit by a gunsmith and a stronger recoil spring.

The IDPA/IPSC crowd still uses it under the 9mm Super Comp name albeit with Starline brass that's not quite as tough as Winchester factory brass. SO the 9x23 is still out there under that name, but as custom builds.

Buffalo Bore

Last edited:
Back