testtest

Is CCW on a Motorcycle Safe?

I always carry my Hellcat Pro IWB on my right side during most fair weather conditions. Once the foul cold weather hits and more gear is worn I sometimes switch to a more accessible Ruger LCP-MAX, 10 shot, pocket pistol in my right leather jacket pocket -OR - I do have a permanent mounted holster inside my left saddlebag that can be used anytime and is reachable from the saddle. Worst case scenario is I always have pocket holsters stored on the bike when nothing else will work.

With all the different holsters you could use I don't believe anyone is going to win a quick draw while riding a motorcycle from a concealed carry holster wearing all the different types of motorcycle gear. From experience, I believe you should always have at least 2 carry options at the ready any time you head out on the bike as the weather and your gear can change quickly while you are out on the road.

I've been on long trips where the weather was 13° and snowing for days, then to days of upper 90° temps, some days with torrential rains and then back to <20° on the trip back home. No one carry position fits all these wardrobe conditions.

Ride safe and enjoy!

Interesting topic. As I am also a rider and a CCDW holder, I confirm that I also carry while riding. I choose to wear an OWB holster with retention to make certain my weapon of choice (Springfield EMP 4) doesn't jump out while riding. I recently witnessed a rider that had a loose leather holster for his weapon worn on a belt that allowed it to bounce freely up and down while riding. The best thing that could have happened would be that it bounced out onto the ground in front of a LEO. Obviously not concealed or safe! There has to be a measure of responsibility when you carry, and you have to be prepared for almost anything while riding. Preparation and common sense go a long way!

... I recently witnessed a rider that had a loose leather holster for his weapon worn on a belt that allowed it to bounce freely up and down while riding. The best thing that could have happened would be that it bounced out onto the ground in front of a LEO. Obviously not concealed or safe! ...
EXAMPLE OF WHO SHOULD NOT CARRY ON A MOTORCYCLE!

As a longtime member of my local HOG (Harley Owners Group) Chapter I regularly volunteer to help out during the Open Houses at the Harley store.

During one open house event we had a retired LEO drinking too much (free beer) and as you would expect, dropped his Harley just before pulling out on the 55 mph highway to leave. I was first there to help but before helping him, or the bike, I had to go over and pick up his pistol that had popped out and slid about 20 feet away. He was completely unaware it was gone. Yes, I gave the pistol back to him just before he pulled out the 2nd time to leave. He acted as if it was no big deal!

When I rode motorcycles I almost always carried concealed. I preferred to have the firearm in a zipped pocket or pouch, not relying on a holster on my belt. I mostly carried a J-Frame snub nosed revolver.

I used a fanny pack for a while but it was under my leather jacket where it couldn't be easily seen.

Nowadays when I ride my electric bicycle I wear a fanny pack across my chest with a reflective vest on top.

Today I went for a walk and I carried a fanny pack across my chest with a light jacket on top (it was in the 50's here in deep South Texas).

1698710593853.png
Carried just fine in my vest pocket for years. I finally grew up and sobered up and don't live that lifestyle anymore and haven't for years.

I keep mine in a tank bag. Ok not quickly accessible, but I have it when I get off. Recently picked up an LCP, might carry that in jacket pocket.

🙄

The title:
IS CCW ON A MOTORCYCLE SAFE?

1) you’re on a motorcycle, with no-telling-who-else on public roads.
2) you’re carrying a gun - presumably loaded.

Short answer: No !!!

But…neither is going to the convenience store after dark, skydiving, scuba diving, the 6th grade, my idiot step-brother…almost anything that isn’t being wrapped up in a blanket in your recliner inside your up-armored home.
Go do it ! 😁

Ok, well how about riding a motorcycle while carrying a pistol (with one in the chamber *gasp*) while only wearing a thong and flip-flops in Minnesota in January, after drinking three White Claws?

Asking for a friend.
I don’t get it. Is it the thong that makes that scenario unsafe? Is it the chaffing? What about spandex biker shorts…that’s cool, right? LOL

Back