testtest

Is range time therapeutic?

Going to the range is my main outlet to relieve the stress of the daily grind. If I could afford to go every day I would. I belong to the local Club where I do my outer shooting as well as an indoor range a little farther away. I’m not sure what I would be doing if I didn’t have this for therapy.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Range time for me is definitely therapeutic. Chance to clear thoughts and focus on the moment. When I go with others it obviously isn't as therapeutic but serves as a chance to unwind in different ways.
Thank you Grifter. Glad you agree.

Shooting in general is very relaxing for me. It started back when I got into archery as a kid (pre-teens) and ended up being an instructor up till I turned 19 or so. It's not about "I'm gonna work out my anger" and "his/her face is on that target" kinda crap; it's about focus. Extremely Zen for me - there's me, there's the weapon (extension of me), there's the projectile, there's the target. That's ALL. Obviously there's perimeter-sensory awareness of "don't shoot out of the lane", "don't point it there", and "what's that guy doing?", but everything else - crappy day, crappy traffic, big bills in the budget, whatever - gets relegated to the "storage" part of the brain for a while and the entire universe becomes me, the projectile, and the target.

OK.

Sometimes, it IS nice to simply run a mag or two as fast as possible, just because.

And I do love the smell of gunpowder. And Hoppe's.

It's very similar to when I'm on my motorcycle - I ride sportbikes, and when I put on my full-face helmet it's me and my machine...and the rest of the world is "out there" outside the helmet, and I can focus on my line, my apex, my brake points, my traction levels, throttle inputs, the various g-forces, and vehicle balance. I also turn the outside world into a panoramic painting that I can enjoy being this close to - I can smell the leaves, feel the temperature drop when I cross a stream, even as separated as my mind is from everything "else", my body is fully immersed in my surroundings instead of simply passing through it.

So yes, range time is VERY therapeutic - but not in the "work out aggression" sense, just in the "gain composure, regain focus, and hone skills" sense. And those skills make it easier to shut out all the day to day crap, too.
Well said Peglegjoe. I couldn't agree more.

Funny you should mention it. My range has golf game targets. My granddaughter loves it when I let her win.

View attachment 243

View attachment 244
That is awesome! I'll be acquiring some of those for range time with my lil minion nieces and nephews. They'll absolutely love the challenge. Side note a fun challenge we play is the youngsters get rifles with optics and adults get pistols with irons. Kick the targets out where its challenging for the adults and let the gambling for nickles begin!

Thank you sir, and may I say the U.S. Air Force is only the greatest branch in the Armed Services. I am grateful for your service.

Thank you sir, and may I say the U.S. Air Force is only the greatest branch in the Armed Services. I am grateful for your service.
Going with my bias you are absolutely correct.
Going with my honesty, they are all top notch, just different missions. We are all brothers in arms and support one another. We have each others 6, 9, 12 and 3 o'clock covered 24/7/365.
Yes, 15:00, 18:00, 21:00, 24:00 are covered too!!

Now the civilian militia has to emulate us.

Your very welcome.... it's an honor to wear the uniform.

That's when kids comes in handy. They need to know all aspects, including safely cleaning them.
Safely clean them first, then the range.

My daughter was unhappy with me. Finally got her driving permit. All chomping at the bit for her first driving
lesson. We go out to the car and she jumps behind the wheel. Dad says release that latch, the hood pops.
Have her check fluids and belts. She closes hood and jumps back in. I have her pull keys and open trunk.
Yeah, you guessed it. Had her change the left rear tire with the spare. Then we went driving. Couple hours
later arrive home. Had her put the spare back in the trunk. Gals need to be able to be self sufficient.

Out on her own, used car, marginal tires she changed them herself. Older and better off has good car and tires, calls emergency service. Unless she's in a hurry, then does it her self.

Same with firearms. My kids cleaned them before ever a shot was fired. Safe handling was taught first without saying.

For me the range time is therapeutic. I put on my hearing protection, sometimes double (ear plugs plus the over the ears), and focus on what I am doing. Send the target out, make some holes, bring it back to check. Reload. Repeat. Replace the target(s) every 50 or 100 rounds. Did it yesterday and chose just to send a bulk box of 22LR down the range with my trusty Ruger Mark II target pistol, and the wife commented when I came back how relaxed I seemed yesterday! ;)

For me the range time is therapeutic. I put on my hearing protection, sometimes double (ear plugs plus the over the ears), and focus on what I am doing. Send the target out, make some holes, bring it back to check. Reload. Repeat. Replace the target(s) every 50 or 100 rounds. Did it yesterday and chose just to send a bulk box of 22LR down the range with my trusty Ruger Mark II target pistol, and the wife commented when I came back how relaxed I seemed yesterday! ;)
Retired now I'm always relaxed..... the little Ruger Mark IV I have is fun to shoot. Have a Heritage Revolver too.
At 5000 rounds for about a $100 when can you have more fun. And they are both great first time shooters for the newbie. Train procedures and basic skills, then move to the CANNONS!!

Safely clean them first, then the range.

My daughter was unhappy with me. Finally got her driving permit. All chomping at the bit for her first driving
lesson. We go out to the car and she jumps behind the wheel. Dad says release that latch, the hood pops.
Have her check fluids and belts. She closes hood and jumps back in. I have her pull keys and open trunk.
Yeah, you guessed it. Had her change the left rear tire with the spare. Then we went driving. Couple hours
later arrive home. Had her put the spare back in the trunk. Gals need to be able to be self sufficient.

Out on her own, used car, marginal tires she changed them herself. Older and better off has good car and tires, calls emergency service. Unless she's in a hurry, then does it her self.

Same with firearms. My kids cleaned them before ever a shot was fired. Safe handling was taught first without saying.
Agreed. They were using blue guns before they were even allowed to touch the real thing. Then they were taking them apart before they were making trips to the range.

I bet your daughter is thanking you now.

Agreed. They were using blue guns before they were even allowed to touch the real thing. Then they were taking them apart before they were making trips to the range.

I bet your daughter is thanking you now.
She brought one of her daughters to me to teach how to drive. "Dad, she has a permit, teach her how to drive!" Wink! Wink! Granddaughter has changed a few tires. Kind of cute... granddaughter had to change one for the BF. he had no idea what to do. My, how the times have changed. Our CWP carrying, tire changing women are more than ready to be POTUS!

Back in the day when I was in college I was on the University rifle Team. We shot indoors during winter quarter with 22lr Anschutz match rifles in 4-position shooting for practice and in the local league matches. In spring quarter we added DCM shooting with M1 Garands in the same League as well as at the nearby 1000 yd National Guard range.

All that was a welcome pause in the stress of studying and classes. I found it all very relaxing especially 4-position shooting.

It took me 4 yrs (lettered each year) to shoot a perfect indoor score, and I did well with the Garand (especially getting my own since we were a DCM-affiliate club) as well as dipping my toes into & being the first locally to using an AR in the long-range matches.

Got a lot of teasing & comments from the M1, M14/M1A guys, as well as some frustrations in trying to come up with 5.56 loads for the long-range shooting at the time since it was before the AR took over and more options/gear/ammo became available.

Now I have fun with practical pistol shooting, and my own time at the range with various "toys" ;)

Great stories. I found that shooting was another opportunity to spend quality time with my kids, getting them outdoors. I did the same thing with hunting, fishing, and archery. These are all good wholesome activities that they can hopefully pass on to their children some day.

Back