testtest

Is The .44 Magnum A Wise Choice For CCW Carry

It would depend entirely on the loading...the Remington 180gr SJHP, for example, tends to stop in under 18”; so does the Winchester 210gr Silvertip...they both fragment badly, but the mushroomed bullets still have enough weight & velocity to punch deep.

I don’t think I’d carry a 300gr HC, though.

I carried this and used it as my house gun years ago, an Astra Terminator in .44mag, I just used .44 specials in it. It looked like this, great gun and very accurate.

1595383234996.jpeg

Last edited:
I would say it depends on how well an individual handles the recoil. It is certainly not for everybody, and I have seen some folks that can't handle a 38 Special compact snub nose. Part of recoil mitigation is how well the handle fits the shooters hand. I ended up getting custom Herrets stocks for my 6" barrel M29, as the Pachmeyer grips were as bad a fit as the standard wood grips that came on the revolver. It hurt to shoot it until I got the custom grips, a Trooper Jordan pattern made to fit my hand. Charter Arms makes the Bulldog, and I gave that some brief thought. If nothing else, the muzzle blast would give any attacker pause. (I wonder what the penetration factor is for unburnt powder granules?)

Regards,
Bill

Last edited:
Interesting. The recoil alone is a reason to reject this caliber as a self defense round as it takes too long to recover and get a second shot off as mentioned by adam sr . The solution is, as opined by Annihilator to use .44 specials instead.

In full disclosure, if I were to carry a revolver for self-defense against people, my first choice would be .44 special. Years ago I bought a custom conversion Ruger Speed Six that had been remanufactured from a six shot .357 to a five shot .44 special. It was (and is) a great choice for a revolver as a concealed carry piece. I also had (lost in a burglary) a S&W snub nose 29 that had been extensively reworked by Mag na Port which I always kept loaded with .44 specials and was on my nightstand.

Today, my nightstand has a Remington V 3 TAC 13.....

I think it might be a bit difficult to conceal. If you have a snubby it’d probably my work pretty well.

I'm not sure whose post you were responding to. If it was mine the custom revolver I carried was a snub nose done by ASP and featured in a Combat Handguns article (April 1982) written by Richard Rosenthal another owner of one of these conversions.

For the record, I no longer carry revolvers except when hunting.

I'm not sure whose post you were responding to. If it was mine the custom revolver I carried was a snub nose done by ASP and featured in a Combat Handguns article (April 1982) written by Richard Rosenthal another owner of one of these conversions.

For the record, I no longer carry revolvers except when hunting.

I wasn’t responding to any post in particular. Just responding to the thread title. My .44 has a 8 3/8” barrel so not really all that concealable.

For the record I carry semi automatic pistols unless I’m hunting as well.

I have been carrying a S&W model 29 for at least 22 years as my CCW. I carry the 4 incher but I do have the 6/12 incher as well. I am a big man with big hands and this gun since my teen years fits me like a glove. I can conceal this on hip no problem. I work in forensics or criminally insane & knowing the type of substances they ingest like PCP, Wet. Fenty, Meth etc I’m sorry but a lot of my patients over the years have been shot multiple times with 9 mm” s and other semi autos only to continue towards victim or police and attack them. One of the worst patients I had was a total sociopath constantly using PCP, has too many bullet holes all over body including 3 to head. He was always assaulting others and had molested 3 underage girls yet never went to prison. Found out from news he was shot and killed from a man he assaulted at the bus stop. The man was elderly but had a CCW. He carried a a 44 magnum and killed this idiot with one shot to the chest, he really took the garbage out that day. It is reasons like this as to why I carry a 44.

I have been carrying a S&W model 29 for at least 22 years as my CCW. I carry the 4 incher but I do have the 6/12 incher as well. I am a big man with big hands and this gun since my teen years fits me like a glove. I can conceal this on hip no problem. I work in forensics or criminally insane & knowing the type of substances they ingest like PCP, Wet. Fenty, Meth etc I’m sorry but a lot of my patients over the years have been shot multiple times with 9 mm” s and other semi autos only to continue towards victim or police and attack them. One of the worst patients I had was a total sociopath constantly using PCP, has too many bullet holes all over body including 3 to head. He was always assaulting others and had molested 3 underage girls yet never went to prison. Found out from news he was shot and killed from a man he assaulted at the bus stop. The man was elderly but had a CCW. He carried a a 44 magnum and killed this idiot with one shot to the chest, he really took the garbage out that day. It is reasons like this as to why I carry a 44.
So far, this is a strong contender for the Most Interesting Very First Post of the Day award. But then it's only 2:17 PM, so we'll see what happens. :oops:

Magnum? No. For all the mentioned reasons.
.44 Special? Absolutely! One of my favorite cartridges and a well documented "man stopper". In the days before Magnum cartridges, big bore rounds such as the .44 Special and .45 Colt were extremely popular among law enforcement and for good reason too. Big slugs at moderate speeds had a tendency to end gunfights quickly and effectively. ;)
Three of my favorite .44 Special carry guns can be seen in this picture along with their like caliber friends.
S&W 24-3 3", S&W 696 5 shot L-frame 3" and a 3" CA Bulldog. Any one makes a fine big bore CCW. ;)

Magnum? No. For all the mentioned reasons.
.44 Special? Absolutely! One of my favorite cartridges and a well documented "man stopper". In the days before Magnum cartridges, big bore rounds such as the .44 Special and .45 Colt were extremely popular among law enforcement and for good reason too. Big slugs at moderate speeds had a tendency to end gunfights quickly and effectively. ;)
Three of my favorite .44 Special carry guns can be seen in this picture along with their like caliber friends.
S&W 24-3 3", S&W 696 5 shot L-frame 3" and a 3" CA Bulldog. Any one makes a fine big bore CCW. ;)

The Buffalo Bore “Anti Personnel” loads—both the WC and HP—are very pleasant to shoot out of my 4” 629 Mountain Gun.

The Buffalo Bore “Anti Personnel” loads—both the WC and HP—are very pleasant to shoot out of my 4” 629 Mountain Gun.
I shoot Signature 44 Specials 220grain which its recoil is very manageable. I usually alternate between Winchester 44 mag REM 240 grain which has an interesting punch to it. For carry conceal I use is Hornaday Critical Defense Hollow Points.

Back