testtest

Is the AR a Perfect Platform?

10mmLife

Staff member
Founding Member
I'm creating this thread to supplement a thread I have created about the 5.56 round.

Is the AR the ultimate do anything platform? The AR has gained a ton of popularity in the last 20 years and it has become America's go to rifle loved by many and hated by others. It seems like everyone I talk to has an AR variant of some kind or multiple in different calibers. What makes the AR so popular is it the fact it is highly customizable, ammo is relatively cheap, reliability, etc etc etc...

I own multiple AR's in different calibers and sizes and my collection is only getting bigger. I personally like the high level of customization and the overall feel of the platform.

What are the things that draw you to the AR-15 and what are some plus's & minus's to the platform?

Is it the perfect platform?

Last edited:
No gun is perfect, but the AR does have many pluses and a few cons like all guns. My biggest complaint was the looseness between the upper and lower, but, Springfield fixed this issue. I know aftermarket makes accessories to help this, but, in my opinion, the manufacturers should have done this like Springfield did. I like the simplicity of the AR, the accuracy of it, easy of disassembly of it, all the stuff after market manufacturers make for it, is it perfect, no, but it is close in my opinion.

No gun is perfect, but the AR does have many pluses and a few cons like all guns. My biggest complaint was the looseness between the upper and lower, but, Springfield fixed this issue. I know aftermarket makes accessories to help this, but, in my opinion, the manufacturers should have done this like Springfield did. I like the simplicity of the AR, the accuracy of it, easy of disassembly of it, all the stuff after market manufacturers make for it, is it perfect, no, but it is close in my opinion.
It's great to see Springfield is improving on a design flaw that most companies overlook. It's a positive sign of customer focused commitment. 👍

Don't know, because I have never owned one. The new Saint Edge PDW makes me consider one as a home defense alternative.

Note. I carried a M-16A1/2 version for many years and it was extremely accurate. It could knock down 300 meter targets all day long [without external optics].

Don't know, because I have never owned one. The new Saint Edge PDW makes me consider one as a home defense alternative.

Note. I carried a M-16A1/2 version for many years and it was extremely accurate. It could knock down 300 meter targets all day long [without external optics].
Definitely worth owning at least one AR even a more budget friendly rifle.

They might not be perfect but they are sure versatile and effective. Too bad so many people are scared of it because they think it's a machine gun or something.
Without getting political some politicians want everyone to believe an AR is a magic death gun that the mere sight of one will turn you into a pile of exploded goo.

Without getting political some politicians want everyone to believe an AR is a magic death gun that the mere sight of one will turn you into a pile of exploded goo.
Yep. I've explained the way ARs work to a number of people who thought it turns anyone into a murder machine and changed some minds. It's one of those stupid issues some people use to sow division and fear to make it look like they're doing something good without actually helping anyone. I hope we can stop that at some point and deal with actual problems.

Yep. I've explained the way ARs work to a number of people who thought it turns anyone into a murder machine and changed some minds. It's one of those stupid issues some people use to sow division and fear to make it look like they're doing something good without actually helping anyone. I hope we can stop that and some point and deal with actual problems.
A few bad actors can demonize an entire industry.

I prefer the looks and handling of the Ruger mini 14 . However the AR15 has many more options as in calibers and mods and is much easier to shoot at long range due to the sight system.

The one thing I really don't like about the AR 15 is the twang you have in your ear every time you pull the trigger due to the buffer spring.

I agree with what you said above. I had a conversation with an older lady who lives down the hall from me about the ar rifles. She had heard the FBI firearms expert talking about the power of the ar and how hunters won't use the ar round because if you shot a deer with it the deer would be blown apart and not edible.

I went and got a 30-30 shell and a 5.56 round. I concealed them from her view . I showed her the 30-30 round first and explained to her that it was the round that many , many hunters have used every year for decades to kill deer and put meat on the table. She said ok so the AR round must be really big huh . I said well here is a 5.56 that the AR 15 uses. The perplexed look on her face was priceless as she studied what was before her and what I had just said.

She then asked then why did the FBI agent say ... I told her that certain people had an agenda and would lie to push that agenda.

Add one more convert who is no longer against the modern sporting rifle.

I agree with what you said above. I had a conversation with an older lady who lives down the hall from me about the ar rifles. She had heard the FBI firearms expert talking about the power of the ar and how hunters won't use the ar round because if you shot a deer with it the deer would be blown apart and not edible.

I went and got a 30-30 shell and a 5.56 round. I concealed them from her view . I showed her the 30-30 round first and explained to her that it was the round that many , many hunters have used every year for decades to kill deer and put meat on the table. She said ok so the AR round must be really big huh . I said well here is a 5.56 that the AR 15 uses. The perplexed look on her face was priceless as she studied what was before her and what I had just said.

She then asked then why did the FBI agent say ... I told her that certain people had an agenda and would lie to push that agenda.

It's amazing what a good bit of facts and information can do to dispel some of the nonsense floating around.

Its great you convinced another misinformed person of the myths perpetrated by the left that the AR is not some WMD.

I like the AR platform due to all the aftermarket items that you can use to customize it to make it uniquely yours. The AR is demonized by these political hacks as an assault rifle due to it looking like the M16. They know nothing of select fire, I've tried to explain to people like this that it's no different than any other Semi-auto rifle or pistol that uses the same method of firing on each pull of the trigger. The shooter in the Virginia Tech shooting used two Glock pistols and I don't believe he even used any extended magazines that would of put him on par with the 30 round common capacity of an AR. To date, that is the highest school casualty shooting in the nation, and you don't hear them talking about banning semi auto pistols. They go after the low hanging fruit that they think the common person with little gun knowledge will agree, that a ban is "common sense gun control".

I like the AR platform due to all the aftermarket items that you can use to customize it to make it uniquely yours. The AR is demonized by these political hacks as an assault rifle due to it looking like the M16. They know nothing of select fire, I've tried to explain to people like this that it's no different than any other Semi-auto rifle or pistol that uses the same method of firing on each pull of the trigger. The shooter in the Virginia Tech shooting used two Glock pistols and I don't believe he even used any extended magazines that would of put him on par with the 30 round common capacity of an AR. To date, that is the highest school casualty shooting in the nation, and you don't hear them talking about banning semi auto pistols. They go after the low hanging fruit that they think the common person with little gun knowledge will agree, that a ban is "common sense gun control".
Don't forget AR's are big and scary looking to the political crowd. If you look at the assault weapons ban there are rifle accessories that were banned like flash hiders, barrel shrouds, collapsible stocks, etc.... for the only reason of sounding like something scary.

I love it just becuase I can accesorize it so easily. I can have one lower and a lot of uppers in different lengths and chamberings. I started out with a basic SAINT and have bought a bunch of "extra" parts for it and love it.

Back