testtest

Is there a so called shelf life…….

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Ok, was just sitting here reading posts and such, was wondering, how long would you think a polymer gun will last if taken care of properly? What I mean, we all know metal guns can last several lifetimes if taken care of, so can a polymer gun also last several lifetimes or will the polymer degrade over time. I have always wondered this, I own both polymer and metal firearms. I know the polymer type absorbs recoil somewhat better due to the flex in the frame, there less prone to rusting, they can function better with little or at times no lubrication. I really never seen or read anything on this and was just wondering.

Yes, there is. It all depends on the shelf height and accessibility.
GlockChewToy.jpg

* as well as what it has been in contact with, er how its carried.

Ok, was just sitting here reading posts and such, was wondering, how long would you think a polymer gun will last if taken care of properly? What I mean, we all know metal guns can last several lifetimes if taken care of, so can a polymer gun also last several lifetimes or will the polymer degrade over time. I have always wondered this, I own both polymer and metal firearms. I know the polymer type absorbs recoil somewhat better due to the flex in the frame, there less prone to rusting, they can function better with little or at times no lubrication. I really never seen or read anything on this and was just wondering.

Good question Anni, I haven't heard or read about it either on poly guns. Likely quite awhile, all things depending.
Are many plastics out there, some treated with anti UV or other protection and some not. Are many formulations. I remember and experienced many plastics from the 1970's deteriorating, fading, splitting and disintegrating. Plastics have thankfully come a long ways since then. Bakelite was among the 1st well used plastics because of it's durability and heat resistant properties. Lot of grips and handles were made out of it. Will keep an eye out for info though and post results if found.

Guess how about now? Just peeked around online and found this interesting article that explains much of it. ....Basically, it's unknown and some is proprietary info.

"all the experts agree prolonged exposure to UV radiation (usually sunlight) will degrade the frame after many years" - My gun stays in my pocket except when I practice my draw, when I change pants, or when I am at the range. In other words, it is rarely exposed to UV radiation.

If you have LED light bulbs in your house (we have a few), your gun will be exposed to some UV radiation, but probably not enough to worry about:

"all the experts agree prolonged exposure to UV radiation (usually sunlight) will degrade the frame after many years" - My gun stays in my pocket except when I practice my draw, when I change pants, or when I am at the range. In other words, it is rarely exposed to UV radiation.

If you have LED light bulbs in your house (we have a few), your gun will be exposed to some UV radiation, but probably not enough to worry about:
Good LED effects article, thanks Jimbo.

Ok, was just sitting here reading posts and such, was wondering, how long would you think a polymer gun will last if taken care of properly?
i think that yes, if taken care of properly.

proper cleaning fluids (i use synthetic safe gun cleaning sprays) to clean the entire inside of the frame, and of course Hoppe's 9 for the barrel. (sprays for metal guns "could" eat away the polymer, in time).

proper lube and placement of that lube. (i use Weapon Shield on all points that rub, like the frame rails, slide rails, trigger connector, and a drop on what ever springs i can reach.

we would not "normally" drop our gun(s), either metal or polymer, and for any gun to last many years (or rounds thru it) ammo that is properly loaded to factory specs, meaning NO hot loads.

but everything has a life span. factory defects can show up day #1, or day number #3,998,351, 001

parts that wear out, can be replaced for cheap for many guns. as long as the frame and slide are still functional and well cared for.

I've owned a HK USP9 from the moment they hit store shelves. I've literally shot tens of thousands of rounds through it. Last year I bought a new/used barrel for it. When they first came out the barrels had lands and grooves instead of the polygonal barrel. So I bought one with polygonal rifling.
Has never missed a beat as dependable as sunshine.

I would say for the most part many people that own pistols have more than one. Many people rarely shoot all of their weapons on a regular basis. And fewer take them to outdoor ranges, run them hard and put them through their paces, and even fewer torture test them. That being said, most of the people in this criteria have a favorite firearm that they carry on a regular basis, while all the others remain safe queens and never see the light of day until it's show and tell time with their friends. Therefore I would say more often than not it won't matter if it's a polymer or steel framed pistol, they would last a seriously long time for most owners.

I would say for the most part many people that own pistols have more than one. Many people rarely shoot all of their weapons on a regular basis. And fewer take them to outdoor ranges, run them hard and put them through their paces, and even fewer torture test them. That being said, most of the people in this criteria have a favorite firearm that they carry on a regular basis, while all the others remain safe queens and never see the light of day until it's show and tell time with their friends. Therefore I would say more often than not it won't matter if it's a polymer or steel framed pistol, they would last a seriously long time for most owners.
well, all of mine (24 in total, including my carry), are put into a rotation of when each one gets to the range, or the club. the state owned outdoor range, closed Sept 30th, so no more going there.

i have to limit my range times/days, due to the lead level in my blood being high at 31.

last time, about 2 months ago?? it was 27

but, none are safe queens, not even my Korth Mongoose revolver. and that's one expensive range toy.....but it ain't gonna sit. it's gonna get range time.

well, all of mine (24 in total, including my carry), are put into a rotation of when each one gets to the range, or the club. the state owned outdoor range, closed Sept 30th, so no more going there.

i have to limit my range times/days, due to the lead level in my blood being high at 31.

last time, about 2 months ago?? it was 27

but, none are safe queens, not even my Korth Mongoose revolver. and that's one expensive range toy.....but it ain't gonna sit. it's gonna get range time.

To be clear I was not saying you or anyone else on here is in the percentage of people that have the safe queens. I was merely pointing out that there are a large portion of owners that do. And like you, I believe if you own it, run it on a regular basis and be familiar with it. Also, if you don't mind post a picture of that Mongoose revolver. It would be cool to see it. (y)

As with metal, much will depend on the chemical engineers of the poly/plastics. UV retardant can be added at various levels as well as other additives for hardness/texture. Over the years, surely the recipe has improved for the better?

To be clear I was not saying you or anyone else on here is in the percentage of people that have the safe queens. I was merely pointing out that there are a large portion of owners that do. And like you, I believe if you own it, run it on a regular basis and be familiar with it. Also, if you don't mind post a picture of that Mongoose revolver. It would be cool to see it. (y)
i did not take it to mean you meant me or anyone else in particular. in fact "closet queens" i actually bought 2 of them, from a husband and wife who were told during the pandemic, "they must get guns to protect themselves"

and yuup...she had a S&W MP 380 EZ, and he had a Glock G19....both ended up in thier closet...until i bought them...!

the Korth "get's fed", 357 magnums or 38 specials....BUT IT MUST be 100% new factory ammo...the smoke, grit from reloaded ammo, jams up the wheel....

yPw4kqAiSBAmr9vdaqde0N7pqutUOPDTJPuDV7TYvhQB8A9A67hQYCpT8U3UYIebRCeViS9STiNSlL9q5NtseqB16zkf-SG8Ygx-mBxCDTd1R9_WNyWYV4J995xVUj5jJ0wNw7QnZkuzuKv6NGodCNXvUf_XJDmzqJ7QLHXqc0VXCCfjorUPs5XCbE5hTgWGQD_Dwl96xtyGOiVh48lWucOU-VEozTEmoQdqAiEAeegGUIg_3gZcbjatNn9nGctR2VyFjfCHhOY4VBz2VPeIKepv2cn_r0sepvISPP0pYZ9j769BeezDYSV3ZVCP40K1kkxIPAnsXvCdMKZpiBH6pcp_PRisZQHG4DdaHmANYzRv95C7mahtV2418GgzwNwTuz5X0fUmNP2H5-wO1NCqYrTOTKse0OVx9ouYnJQ3JdckksCU0HCfGt5Vf5PRc5-b5_hAt1R9yuSLD6gA-YSFYCkojUeWRY5wdrSpWJtnhJMbi-mflvdNwoZVE1WQJoxOaaKINlSG8cb6GomCxDj2QvSKV_vtXiqMyLSjRj32lUJfqm-OtdZaOpcmlULdA0S04-oGZb1DcJ5yoEhWwMwJKGVInKOqmtkuax9cwnrQVWAm-qUkm2yjb1GTojGBTfGgkiHA_KT9IuaKhyEsHT20jyVZuhydLmTWym18ucEd6kbbvC-S_jS56xA4mz4UO75rkTY-QWP5243URyIcmW82ZPE=w1250-h937-no

xbdmk4alenV33Y9KHgcvyaeRF4JNTxXFIgJGBbcYPCRbNh6wFSe-78-RR-7jVtniqqr-wX6rsP515DAYxPzVPj7wIiXD5njEZntIqMmXI8BVOrQud-ygXYl2d9zMNakL9ADmbZuX9z58mL3fqD1bfXB6Z2Uufgp4kaStNON9hqHoJ33p1qevtJHSjj5sJNaReAPQqI9n23JnU00YCXVE7snMt9RJOUawqAyyWHgfqcqSwuXUd4lphUPEJjJWyozyzMPPH6NkJ99CVDwpvFBnPUUdUGmT0Qdsrjdj5K1yUpe-m56xKyZaQqdChG4PAzyvr1gm7gjQMZu3gVTb8XS9Ry1Gu8o2jHpwKmumzKaO43RRRh1U1YqT-HuYGv8oTD0PjyCgi7iyzjpfwtRNMj1FaQAZNdi03ch5HEt4ItvdapFlKv0u9N5sZ4pyX7tykoUnWWBtsfoch3Rmhaa9DPTn0P5KegW0Gs0I52Bus-mzo4vVSqVWbMCgyHK2J30Nhr4GNNEYkf1oYGmwxvW1g07VQJ3clQyX8AX_qK5eMAoszBgWgW3EUJm-92op-ab0yl3RpSZ3p4Vq76xKxONtEJSEqUJ7uqXCBobs3nMKfgklmekegXOINps3utJINOXqIBPADxSOWJ6T8vQOPF0tMcSMk_Z9302fhtEAm-n7X-J_Z6-DxiVeZ2dZ5c5v4pURA3HyvHfwjeu6Ofax4yAbWes6E8k=w1250-h937-no

xl6eGUYK3wto_Fvwg70zi-50eO-b0D_nmosyqxRSY2lhlXrCi3IeqMsRobkOIPW_y19pnimsku04Ca2ZcNtuv4ujkU96crYT0hghHhEqjGHPOk2RF6Jp6ylMIEa1-qzvINrWBBPhGju-OKmY0gSmuZbLqfInZF6_wuRtC-DfFH7NTOHnX1REnr72D-9KYoqY43bPtxegrfQHX5P2XlObv8dzQznhe1jzw2dWmG94aVx-hGeiWbtedXjZp86lswAKd0dyrgHJFiznulEjSbL-hJn_wfaagzkXRtQl3JgFOL-gHBz5t9OtQjOJI3XsFiQQ0yfEWLfltObVWcosQc_oPyGmOwQ39-Cgz8ZlrNYzbVJJPXXohU7GawRjLbvy21r9ZvCCs4v97fbKstZHlRcsRcwJ-ESfV7PhcExUaJzQVwCcacjpF-PRzB85MsbZeAQ6-1PVtNlQSlUUQYnCP3qv7XIEt3zy-MJ7U2QwY0RSFPMJN4V3lUZj6lg-fK9X2pguMKX97u-S6D2LgAmaXFcopeXtfkKjB68asg7emu4ylkOhiqMOFOsZkoHAgRMinccl9mbAShRXgPwdFBPYy9Hbl_0EjusPAvdk0j9Ch5JiqjajGuFJVPEzC-dLY_XnORJR-GWIMqQCF6CDceEERijWTtJNBlxNDG0Hq-Nhsy5XobNogBgNHHvs4Qhv9tyCG2Ay28deIRVBiTAmcEqbGln6xNQ=w1250-h937-no

I think if there was an issue with degradation over time, militaries and law enforcement around the world would not put them into service.

I have no second thoughts that reputable makers of firearms in polymer will work well and uphold integrity of material into my great grandkids use.
and if the police depts sell off the old stuff, a little work, they can be very good range toys for teaching, or just plinking, till they can no longer work.

Good question Anni, I haven't heard or read about it either on poly guns. Likely quite awhile, all things depending.
Are many plastics out there, some treated with anti UV or other protection and some not. Are many formulations. I remember and experienced many plastics from the 1970's deteriorating, fading, splitting and disintegrating. Plastics have thankfully come a long ways since then. Bakelite was among the 1st well used plastics because of it's durability and heat resistant properties. Lot of grips and handles were made out of it. Will keep an eye out for info though and post results if found.

Guess how about now? Just peeked around online and found this interesting article that explains much of it. ....Basically, it's unknown and some is proprietary info.

That was a great article and very informative, thanks Bob

Well honestly the first shelf life that comes to mind is how long any gun sat on the shelf over the last 18 months. The other is a great question, I believe if maintained well they should last many decades as long as there not used as a chew toy or baked in an oven.

Back