testtest

It’s one in a million—until it happens to you. WEAR YOUR EYEPRO!

Cut to the chase:

I just had a ricochet hit me in the forehead.

Yes, I’m fine.

The full details:

I have a squirrel problem; they’ve gotten into my storage shed, and eradication is the order of the day. Because I live in town, firearms are…proscribed.

So, I’ve got a break-barrel, .177 pellet pistol which is legal. Little Mr. Bustard Bushy-Bum took off up a tree, I grabbed the Umarex, and game on.

We played “circle the tree” (if you’ve hunted squirrels…you know) for a few minutes before I had a shot…there were some small branches between us, but I thought I found a clean window…

Thwap. WHACK on my forehead.

First thought: is that little nut sucker RETURNING FIRE?!?

Second: (bad word, out loud)…check for blood. None…but there’s definitely a lump.

Third: Oh, it’s on, beeyotch.

My next shot dropped him mostly out of the tree, but he leapt over my fence into the neighbor’s yard…but from the pink spots in the snow, he’s a goner.

So…about 1” lower, that pellet would have hit my eye—if I wasn’t wearing glasses (I always wear glasses—hate contacts). In fact, I pay the upgrade for ANSI rated ballistic polycarbonate lenses in my daily wear…and I figure it might’ve paid for itself this time.

So—always wear your eyepro, folks.

I’m gonna go put a beer on my forehead. From the inside.

(Mods: if this would be better in the classroom, or another forum…move away)

I've been hit directly in the safety glasses with ricochets from framing guns in the past and I've have gouges taken out of the lens in direct line with my peepers. It's a real awakening experience when you know how close you come to losing an eye.

I've always been an advocate of wearing safety glasses when there's even a small chance to get stung by a flying object.

Cut to the chase:

I just had a ricochet hit me in the forehead.

Yes, I’m fine.

The full details:

I have a squirrel problem; they’ve gotten into my storage shed, and eradication is the order of the day. Because I live in town, firearms are…proscribed.

So, I’ve got a break-barrel, .177 pellet pistol which is legal. Little Mr. Bustard Bushy-Bum took off up a tree, I grabbed the Umarex, and game on.

We played “circle the tree” (if you’ve hunted squirrels…you know) for a few minutes before I had a shot…there were some small branches between us, but I thought I found a clean window…

Thwap. WHACK on my forehead.

First thought: is that little nut sucker RETURNING FIRE?!?

Second: (bad word, out loud)…check for blood. None…but there’s definitely a lump.

Third: Oh, it’s on, beeyotch.

My next shot dropped him mostly out of the tree, but he leapt over my fence into the neighbor’s yard…but from the pink spots in the snow, he’s a goner.

So…about 1” lower, that pellet would have hit my eye—if I wasn’t wearing glasses (I always wear glasses—hate contacts). In fact, I pay the upgrade for ANSI rated ballistic polycarbonate lenses in my daily wear…and I figure it might’ve paid for itself this time.

So—always wear your eyepro, folks.

I’m gonna go put a beer on my forehead. From the inside.

(Mods: if this would be better in the classroom, or another forum…move away)
In the end things turned out pretty good. Next time wear a helmet and face shield. ;-)

I was standing next to a fellow Soldier who blinded himself while hitting a sledge hammer against a road wheel end connector. A piece of metal pierced his retina. That was the last time I or any of our Soldiers did that again without eye protection.

The simple things we forget or lack.
I wear contact lenses, so even the tiniest of debris can wreak havoc.

Just like a squirrel that hides his nuts, I keep extra clear safety glasses all over the place, one pair might be on a cord around my neck, even sunglass safety glasses of outdoors, I have some with a magnets on the frames so I can stick a pair on the mitre saw tables, a pair in the angle grinder, another near the bench grinder, etc.

In the range bag there’s an extra cheapie $2 pair - just in case someone may need them.

Years ago while riding motorcyle all day, but running late and the sun went down all I had were the sunglasses, good thing for well lit highway. Ever since then, I carry two extra pair of clear lenses in the saddle bag.

1677616020718.gif

Recently while shooting my .22 rifle I had two ejected casings bounce off the wall next to me and fall down in between my shooting glasses and my eye. Both landed in the same spot and burned me under my eye enough to leave a scab. Now I’m wearing glasses that not only fit close to my face but also make me look like a complete dork.

Glad nothing happened, many years ago I was shooting a Dan Wesson 715 .357 mag revolver, everdently I didn’t have the barrel screwed in far enough which left a bigger barrel/cylinder gap, fired a shot and something hit me in my check just below my right eye, had a small cut and bleed some, some materials got spit out and hit me, after that I always wear shooting glasses, you just never know.

Recently while shooting my .22 rifle I had two ejected casings bounce off the wall next to me and fall down in between my shooting glasses and my eye. Both landed in the same spot and burned me under my eye enough to leave a scab. Now I’m wearing glasses that not only fit close to my face but also make me look like a complete dork.
I had the same thing happen to one with a 9mm casing and that was the last time shooting indoors without a ball cap.

Glad nothing happened, many years ago I was shooting a Dan Wesson 715 .357 mag revolver, everdently I didn’t have the barrel screwed in far enough which left a bigger barrel/cylinder gap, fired a shot and something hit me in my check just below my right eye, had a small cut and bleed some, some materials got spit out and hit me, after that I always wear shooting glasses, you just never know.
I've experienced while shooting .22r rounds through a pistol with a suppressor that it can sometimes throw small bits of hot debris out the back of the pistol because of the added back pressure from the suppressor combined with the inconsistent power levels of .22lr ammo.

Safety glasses truly are a must unless you're going for that pirate look.

Screenshot_20230228_200405_Firefox.jpg

Back